Dev Tips

-VETTE

Hello! I'm trying my hand at aircraft development (making an EMB120), and it's pretty darn tough. I was just wondering if the devs of this magnificent aircraft would like to give me, as well as any other aspiring devs reading this, some tips. Whether they're Blender tips, PlaneMaker tips, plugin tips, whatever, I hope this thread can become a good place to see the tips of the skilled devs at IXEG that are bringing us all this 737. So, devs, if you've got any tips, please write them here and share them with everyone!

-VETTE

PS: Hopefully this forum's creation is a sign of upcoming events ;)

The methods employed by these guys come from years of experience even outside of flight simulation. By that alone, I'd say practice makes perfect and you'll learn a lot as you go.

Keep in mind these forums are really about IXEG products and not so much for providing tips on how to create your own product, so while I wouldn't exactly count it out entirely, I also wouldn't expect the guys to start creating tutorials or sharing techniques (especially in such a crucial time of development).

Best of luck on your project though! :)

Vette, I have been asked numerous times what advice I would give to people trying to make aircraft.

My advice is always the same and it was also given to me by Javier Rollon.  DO NOT make something big.  If you are new to making aircraft, or even new to Blender, start with the smallest, easiest aircraft you can.  An ultralight would be my suggestion.  You'll finish it quicker, you will learn a lot in the process, and you will see it in the sim, completed, a lot earlier than you would a larger aircraft.

A larger aircraft will test your patience, and you will likely lose interest and give up.

There are no shortcuts.  Have patience and learn from your mistakes.  

Back to IXEG discussion.

Edited by Goran_M
  • Upvote 1

Vette, I have been asked numerous times what advice I would give to people trying to make aircraft.

My advice is always the same and it was also given to me by Javier Rollon.  DO NOT make something big.  If you are new to making aircraft, or even new to Blender, start with the smallest, easiest aircraft you can.  An ultralight would be my suggestion.  You'll finish it quicker, you will learn a lot in the process, and you will see it in the sim, completed, a lot earlier than you would a larger aircraft.

A larger aircraft will test your patience, and you will likely lose interest and give up.

There are no shortcuts.  Have patience and learn from your mistakes.  

Back to IXEG discussion.

Thanks! Also, sorry for this thread. I saw, "General discussion" and thought it was about general discussion with anything involving IXEG, not general discussion about the 737. Sorry about that :(

Thank you so much for the advice though!

-VETTE

There are tons and tons of tips and very useful information in X-Pilot forums in every area concerning X-Plane. Is a lot easier to find answers when you have specific questions, and patience and dedication to sift trough all the relevant topic, but if you can't find an answer in the existing threads, starting a new one with your question (in the appropriate section) usually gets an answer right away, the contributors here are some of the most knowledgeable and generous when it comes to sharing tips and information. This is a IXEG related section of the forum, as Cameron pointed out, but they also contribute in other threads.