FMS and Autopilot

tkyler

We expect our 737 to see heavy use on VATSIM and it is critical that users be able use the FMS reliably, especially for any change ATC might through at you unexpectedly.

Glad to hear you're making sure the FMS is reliable enough for online use. Since PilotEdge is my network of choice, I'm curious if anyone on the dev or beta team is a PilotEdge user?

Edited by zengei

@david, clearly you must not have flown the excellent 757, or 777, a320, a330 and a myriad others, but I agree with you here this one is the one we have all been waiting for. I hav ebeen closely following this aircraft for the past 3 years at least and I know these guys are obsessed with perfection. My credit card is virtually leaping out of my wallet on its own.

I will not venture into naming names, but suffice to say whilst eye candy is nice, a fully functioning simulation is my preference. Taking off without hydraulics, unable to escape TOGA lock using proper procedures and MCDU loosing the plot are undesirable characteristics.

The evidence from the video is encouraging, the time taken to develop the product is admirable. It appears that the team are perfectionists so they will get my purchase.

Regards

David

Looking forward to this alot as Ive been itching to move over completely to X plane since I got it. Sadly there are no current airliners that would allow me to rightfully do this.

One quick question though (dont know alot about programming or BTS systems):

Is the 737NG a future possibility as a good number of systems operate is a slightly similar if not same way?

For now im hella excited for this. Great to know so many experts of different nationalities are involved in the development. 

Thanks and best of luck,

JL Fagan

Looking forward to this alot as Ive been itching to move over completely to X plane since I got it. Sadly there are no current airliners that would allow me to rightfully do this.

One quick question though (dont know alot about programming or BTS systems):

Is the 737NG a future possibility as a good number of systems operate is a slightly similar if not same way?

For now im hella excited for this. Great to know so many experts of different nationalities are involved in the development. 

Thanks and best of luck,

JL Fagan

The NG is a possibility, although so far we are not even thinking of the next airplane as all of our braincells are busy working on this one!

Cheers, Jan

The NG is a possibility, although so far we are not even thinking of the next airplane as all of our braincells are busy working on this one!

Cheers, Jan

Cannot wait for release. This product will be a game changer I'm sure. Not just in XP but in FS as a whole! I know you haven't even released the -300 yet so I'm jumping the gun a little but do you have any plans to later release a -400/-500 variant of the classic?

do you have any plans to later release a -400/-500 variant of the classic?

No concrete plans at this time.  We will probably evaluate later.   IMO, it would be a whole lot of work for not a whole lot of return (the aircraft would still operate similarly)...and its been difficult enough finding time to execute this one.   The change isn't as simple as 'elongating / shortening' the fuselage.....BUT...we'll still look at it eventually and make a determination then.

-tkyler

No concrete plans at this time.  We will probably evaluate later.   IMO, it would be a whole lot of work for not a whole lot of return (the aircraft would still operate similarly)...and its been difficult enough finding time to execute this one.   The change isn't as simple as 'elongating / shortening' the fuselage.....BUT...we'll still look at it eventually and make a determination then.

-tkyler

I understand completely where you are coming from. It's something I'd like to see but certainly wouldn't be too disappointed if you don't do it. And if you do decide to do it, I know you'll do it right! :)

No, the version of the FMS we are modeling does not support this. Later versions of the FMS (as found on 747-400s, for example) do that. You can just enter airways, and the FMS figures out the intersecting waypoints. But the one on the 737 Classics couldn´t.

Nice little detail :)

-tkyler

Personally (though I think Im speaking on behalf of many other Xplaners) I would prefer if you'll make the jump for the NG next :D

IXEG 737CL & 737NG will be really cool

But let's first cross the current bridge , can't wait for this game changer!

Edited by mtaxp

Correct, we need to concentrate on this one first. Easiest would of course be the -500, just very minute changes. The -400 has a little more system difference, like a zone-controlled airconditioning system, for example. The -NG is a whole step up and would require extensive work. Also keep in mind that we do get tired of working on one aircraft (-family) all the time, so I am not sure we would want to jump right into another 737, even though we could reuse a lot of our code.

This is not only about making money, it should also be fun from time to time.

I do expect us to spend almost another year or more on this one after release (updates, additions, etc.), so a new one is REALLY far off...

Jan

Regarding making an -NG, there are other huge differences that many don't really think about.

As I see it, the technical part of aircraft simulation basically consists of 3 main platforms that are closely linked together;

1.  The systems and avionics simulation

2.  Aerodynamics/flightmodel

3.  The engine model

If any of these are off, the two others fall apart as well.  This is why we have put huge efforts into all 3 of these areas.

Like, you might not have thought of this yet, but when getting this aircraft you will actually also get your very own accurate CFM56-3

engine simulator that performs just like the real one!  Not to mention the aerodynamics which have been refined for years.

The NG has a different engine and a new wing.

So making an NG is a "bit" more than just swapping the main panel and doing some exterior 3D when making aircraft at this ambition level  ;)

Edited by Morten

If you guys sold a -400 as an extension to the -300 but at a lower price point (a bit like PMDG do), would that work as a sales model?

I think any serious simmer would have both of these IXEG aircraft in their collection.  ;)

Well, we couldn´t seriously charge full price for an airplane that is just a modification of another one, or could we? ;)  Of course in that case the -400 wouldn´t work without the -300, it would be an add-on, not a stand-alone. Or there could be a discount to existing customers... Countless possibilities...

Well, we couldn´t seriously charge full price for an airplane that is just a modification of another one, or could we?   Of course in that case the -400 wouldn´t work without the -300, it would be an add-on, not a stand-alone. Or there could be a discount to existing customers... Countless possibilities...

I know the sales on this classic 737 will be very encouraging for you and your team, and will continue to be a very hot seller for many years into the future.  I will be buying any expansions that you make for it, like freighters, combos or -400.

We do desperately need a real good payware NG for X-Plane that has the quality that you are putting into this -300.  I hope you will consider it when the time comes.  I believe you would have two monstrous sellers for many years into the future and have the 737 market for X-Plane.

Bob

Well, we couldn´t seriously charge full price for an airplane that is just a modification of another one, or could we? ;)  Of course in that case the -400 wouldn´t work without the -300, it would be an add-on, not a stand-alone. Or there could be a discount to existing customers... Countless possibilities...

Since you're now flying the A320 family, it should be the aircraft of choice!

...hmmm a A320 in the same quality like the 737 here.. would be great even if its not your favourite airliner ;) But there are still many many other cool Boeing aircrafts missing in xplane :D so far, lets first get this 737 on the runway. And have a break!

• Upvote 1