FMS and Autopilot

tkyler

Hi all.   We'll start this new forum off with a section regarding the FMS and autopilot because that just happens to be what we are working on. If you have any questions about the FMS/AP, this will be the place to post it.  The FMS is still a work in progress but we are toiling on it every single day and things are coming together well.

One reason we have taken a long time on the project, besides doing it in our spare time, is we really want to get the FMS 'right'.  We expect our 737 to see heavy use on VATSIM and it is critical that users be able use the FMS reliably, especially for any change ATC might through at you unexpectedly.   With our IXEG pilot guru, Captain Jan Vogel being a current, real-world airline pilot, nobody knows better what we absolutely must get right in order to recreate the pilot experience.   For the last few weeks, we have been working on route editing features.  It is surprising just how complex things can get. In all cases though, the FMS needs to be able to process your input, even a mistake or a change in mind and generate a flyable route.  Below is a little video that showcases some of the route editing features of our FMS!

NOTE:  DO subscribe to our YouTube channel if you want to be informed of future videos!   Also, if you're new to our YouTube Channel, be sure to check other videos by Jan!  If you have seen any of Jan's videos, you know how good they are for learning!  

-Tom Kyler

Edited by tkyler
  • Upvote 10

One reason we have taken a long time on the project, besides doing it in our spare time, is we really want to get the FMS 'right'.  

I can't describe how appreciated this is by the community.  Attention to detail is what creates immersive simulation, making X-Plane as a whole a better piece of software. 

Do it to it IXEG...

Another mouth-watering video, thank you!

As PilotAlpha says a lot of the existing XP airliners have buggy avionics, with devs often spending time on pretty embellishments (or simply moving on to their next project to maximise cashflow) leaving users frustrated. IXEG is visibly not like that, and it will surely attract people to X-Plane. :)

• Upvote 1

Another mouth-watering video, thank you!

As PilotAlpha says a lot of the existing XP airliners have buggy avionics, with devs often spending time on pretty embellishments (or simply moving on to their next project to maximise cashflow) leaving users frustrated. IXEG is visibly not like that, and it will surely attract people to X-Plane. :)

Well put.

I had given up on x plane commercial airliners, due to lack of systems modelling, faulty autothrust and MCDU with minimal functionality. Save the lovely eye candy, they are disappointing.

Now this 737 really appears to have been created with attention to detail.

Looking forward to the release!

regards

David

Edited by veeone

Thanks for the update guys!!!! excellent work! can't wait.

At first I'm really surprised with the sound of the FMC keystrokes, they didn't sound realistic to me, but after watching a few vids of real 737 FMC, I realized that is the SAME SOUND!!!

This tiny detail shows the realism and fidelity of your work, if this is just the tip of the iceberg, I can't imagine how far  you guys can be !!!!

So how's the VNAV descent progressing? 

@david,  I agree with you here this one is the one we have all been waiting for. I have been closely following this aircraft for the past 3 years at least (since converting to xplane in 2012) and I know these guys are obsessed with perfection.  My credit card is virtually leaping out of my wallet on its own.

Time to get out my Mike Ray 737 check ride manual.

Wycliffe Barrett

Xplane Dedicated

www.facebook.com/groups/xpdeddicated

www.youtube.com/wycliffeb

www.twitch.tv/the_xpd

(edited to add clarity to my comment)

Edited by Wycliffe Barrett

@david, clearly you must not have flown the excellent 757, or 777, a320, a330 and a myriad others, but I agree with you here this one is the one we have all been waiting for. I hav ebeen closely following this aircraft for the past 3 years at least and I know these guys are obsessed with perfection.  My credit card is virtually leaping out of my wallet on its own.

Wycliffe,

I'd venture to say David was talking about one or more of these products you've mentioned. No need to sugarcoat the reality of X-Plane at current.

Numerous developers have acknowledged challenging problems in their simulations that are not easy to fix, including CTD issues if you enter something improper in the FMC.

I'm not about to point out one or more specific developers, but the selection of airliner sims for X-Plane is slim pickings and we've been due for positive change. IXEG have worked very hard to get where they are today (FIVE years!), so let's take that into consideration and acknowledge their hard efforts to do this proper. It certainly WILL be a first for X-Plane.

• Upvote 3

Still impressed as usual. I hope to buy it for christmas :).

However i have a question regarding the CWS P and R: When should you use it because it seems that almost every pilot doesn't use it irl. I heard that it's recommended to use the CWS in severe turbulence to avoid the AP overcorrecting the flight path but idk. Is it okay to engage CWS after the acceleration altitude ?

Still impressed as usual. I hope to buy it for christmas :).

However i have a question regarding the CWS P and R: When should you use it because it seems that almost every pilot doesn't use it irl. I heard that it's recommended to use the CWS in severe turbulence to avoid the AP overcorrecting the flight path but idk. Is it okay to engage CWS after the acceleration altitude ?

CWS P (as a pitch mode in the CMD mode) is used all the time during climbout, when you don´t want to exceed 7 degrees of nose-up for fear of the trolleys tipping over.

• Upvote 1

But generally at this time the aircraft is on CMD A or B no ?

Yes, the CWS mode is almost never used. It would - for example - not stop the climb at the MCP ALT. But if you just engage CMD A then the default mode is CWS P and CWS R. In this mode the autopilot WOULD actually level off at the MCP ALT (changing to ALT ACQ and ALT HOLD).

Would be possible to enter the whole flight plan only entering the VIAs without entering TO  intersections ponts?

No, the version of the FMS we are modeling does not support this. Later versions of the FMS (as found on 747-400s, for example) do that. You can just enter airways, and the FMS figures out the intersecting waypoints. But the one on the 737 Classics couldn´t.

• Upvote 2

No, the version of the FMS we are modeling does not support this. Later versions of the FMS (as found on 747-400s, for example) do that. You can just enter airways, and the FMS figures out the intersecting waypoints. But the one on the 737 Classics couldn´t.

Oh thanks... So fast response :)