KDTW payware WIP --- KDTW+KYIP+KARB+more!

Attitude

• 1 month later...

Do you like X-Plane 10? Do you want to see continued high quality sceneries like this developer is building? If so support this project with your money. This is only my opinion, but I think that XPX has a problem. This platform has so much potential. However we have a freeware first mentality in this community. Because of this way of thinking, XPX has been saturated with garbage. There's a reason why the recently announced LOWI is coming to every platform other than XPX. That's because Aerosoft knows that you will not buy it. No you prefer to use a garbage freeware version instead, but then complain that we don't have any quality scenery in XPX.

No FlyTampa, FlightBeam, FSDT or Taxi2Gate for us. The freeware junk is just to competitive. This developer is bringing us top quality with KDTW. I have followed this project since it was announced. I'm writing this in hopes that you will all BUY this scenery so that the developer will continue to support the best FS platform which is XPX.

The reason developers continue to support an old 32Bit  platform is because the customers BUY it. Yes they give money for quality scenery. Based on these screens I have very high hopes for this developer. And I hope all of you will show your support for this work.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

55 minutes ago, geissbuhler said:

Wow! I cannot believe how accurate your design looks! I have flown in and out of Detroit Metro hundreds of times, and I would have thought I was right in McNamara from the screenshots provided. I cannot wait for the video and eventual release of this scenery package!

Awesome! Hopefully some pilots will miss their flights hanging out in the pilot's lounge ;) 

• 2 months later...

Hey there! Most things I have right now are just bare mesh awaiting their lovely textures...but I will display just a few shots of some of my current work this week. Right now I am working on KARB which is one of the airports right outside of DTW. It is nothing too special but it is important to the local Metro operations and will be a great addition to those flying smaller aircraft in and out of the Detroit area. I have learned so much these last few months and I think the time has been well spent. I have been testing and testing and testing to get things exactly the way I see them in my insideheadfunspace. Here are just a few WIP shots of the hand painted ground textures and a couple other bits like the Ann Arbor area orthophotos, Downtown Detroit and very precise airport lighting...Helps when you live next door...

image.pngimage.pngimage.pngimage.pngimage.pngimage.pngimage.pngimage.pngimage.pngimage.png

• Upvote 6

Those moments when you realize you haven't posted anything even though you pressed "submit reply" but you have butterfingers...So Im not going to try and retype everything I did originally, haha, DTW is in a constant state of progression. Everyday I am knocking out tasks which get me closer to showcasing something. Here are 2 pics of the Flight 255 memorial.  Located here via Google maps https://www.google.com/maps/place/Northwest+Airlines+Flight+255+Memorial/@42.2418294,-83.3274813,61m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m5!3m4!1s0x883b4928f7ac5441:0xa80ec1c7c6100361!8m2!3d42.2418388!4d-83.3273424 

---Visiting the memorial it was a somewhat rough experience for me. I have never been to the site of an air disaster or it's memorial and it was a very humbling moment. Really neat If you are in Detroit and have the chance to check it out.  

image.pngimage.png

• Upvote 4

• 4 weeks later...

Steve, this looks absolutely amazing. I live in Ann Arbor and can't wait to get this scenery. I feel incredibly lucky that the most detailed scenery addon for XP to date will be for the area where I live. I won't ask you for a release date as I'm sure you have no idea, but if you have a rough timeframe for release (this winter, early next year, etc) I'm sure we'd all greatly appreciate it! Also, from what I understand DTW, Detroit, and the surrounding airports(ARB, etc) will all be sold in the same package, right? Do you know roughly how much it'll cost yet? Anyway, thanks again for doing such incredible work, I'm seriously excited for this package! 

Edited by hamoody

5 hours ago, hamoody said:

Steve, this looks absolutely amazing. I live in Ann Arbor and can't wait to get this scenery. I feel incredibly lucky that the most detailed scenery addon for XP to date will be for the area where I live. I won't ask you for a release date as I'm sure you have no idea, but if you have a rough timeframe for release (this winter, early next year, etc) I'm sure we'd all greatly appreciate it! Also, from what I understand DTW, Detroit, and the surrounding airports(ARB, etc) will all be sold in the same package, right? Do you know roughly how much it'll cost yet? Anyway, thanks again for doing such incredible work, I'm seriously excited for this package! 

Thank you! I appreciate your compliments! Awesome another Ann Arborite! As a local I am sure you will really enjoy what you will find around town. I am working on Motts Hospital today making the helipads for the survival flight helicopters ;). Might see an Ahmos or two. Haha. I was shooting for a late spring release but got caught up in things. Now that I am back on track and I have some help I think we will be shooting for before the end of the year, unless x plane changes completely between now and then we should be good to go. So I was quick footed with my initial release details and after spending the time I have on all 3 current projects, DTW (+Downtown), YIP and ARB I decided for many reasons to split the packages. I am not sure IF KARB and KYIP will be together, we will see when we get further down the road. As far as cost, all I can say is that I would love a million dollars but I believe in being fair so nothing more, nothing less than the other full time quality developers out there. I can't wait to finish my current task as it will be fun hoping back and forth from the Bijan hangar to the Downtown helipad.

• Upvote 2

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Steve,

Sorry it took so long to get back to you.  I had lost hope of a response....LOL.

Anyhow, here is the log.txt file that was generated when trying to load XPlane and your KLAN.  If you'd be so kind as to look it over to see what I'm doing wrong, it would be appreciated.  I know you're busy, and I'm in no hurry.  The scenery looks great, and having flown in there many times, I'd love to get it up and running.

BTW, I'm pretty stoked about KDTW.  I'm really looking forward to that one.

Thanks for looking,

Tim

Log.txt

8 hours ago, Tim013 said:

Hi Steve,

Sorry it took so long to get back to you.  I had lost hope of a response....LOL.

Anyhow, here is the log.txt file that was generated when trying to load XPlane and your KLAN.  If you'd be so kind as to look it over to see what I'm doing wrong, it would be appreciated.  I know you're busy, and I'm in no hurry.  The scenery looks great, and having flown in there many times, I'd love to get it up and running.

BTW, I'm pretty stoked about KDTW.  I'm really looking forward to that one.

Thanks for looking,

Tim

Log.txt

Hey Tim! So It looks like this is your issue --- 

Attempting to start XSquawBox Plugin, version XSquawkBox VATSIM 1.3.1.
--=={This application has crashed because of the plugin: XSquawkBox/64/win.xpl}==--

Try deleting all squawkbox items then re-installing them. I can't see any KLAN issues here. If after you re-install and you get scenery error messages, send me that log.txt --- New one created everytime you start x plane... :D 

Have a great one!

Hi Steve,

Thanks for looking at the log for me.  The weird thing is I don't have an issue until I put the Capital_City folder into the custom scenery file, then I get a crash.  I tried it again, and here is what I get, after looking over the log.txt file.

Scenery/Capital_City/objects/KLAN.dds

0:00:00.000 E/SYS: THREAD FATAL ASSERT: value:
0:00:00.000 E/SYS: THREAD FATAL ASSERT: 6000
0:00:00.000 E/SYS: THREAD FATAL ASSERT: ..\source_code\core\TEX\TEX_obj.cpp:51
--=={This application has crashed!}==--

Just as a side note, I removed XSquawkbox, and had the same result.  Very strange.

I'm not giving up.....hahahahahahaha......this scenery looks too good to pass up.

Tim

Edited by Tim013

==========  SOLVED ===========

Well, after two scotches, and 1 hour of trying different things, it turns out the KLAN.dds and KLAN.png files were 6000 x 6000 pixels, and for some reason, XPlane wants them to be 2048 x 2048 on my system.  So, I haven't worked with .dds files in a loooooooong time, so I just renamed that file to get it out of the mix, and then used Gimp to rescale the KLAN.png file from 6000² to 2048², and all is well.  XPlane, and KLAN specifically now loads without crashing, and it looks FANTASTIC!!!

I'm guessing that disabling the KLAN.dds file will give me a performance hit in the frame rate area, so, at some point, I will rescale the .dds file when I have the time to refresh my memory on how to do that, and what free tool is usually used.

Tim

I don't know how you got that version? I thought I changed that a looong time ago! It happened when I was compiling things late at night and I accidentally dragged the  wrong one into the finished folder...Glad you were able to get things straightened out! The airport has some issues which are being addressed. The ground textures will be brand new but I wont touch the buildings until after DTW. Do not judge future works off of KLAN. Nothing like what is in the works... :P  

I think the version with the too large .png and .dds is the current version on the .org because I re-downloaded it last night thinking that maybe there had been an update since the first time I snagged it.

And, yes, I WILL judge your future offerings off of KLAN, because KLAN is a fantastic scenery as it stands right now.  Stellar work.  I am really looking forward to KDTW, and can't wait to buy it.  I have my credit card ready to go.  It's one of my favorite airports.  Having lived in the Detroit area for many, many years, I have fond memories of KDTW as a Northwest Airlines hub.

Thanks,

Tim

Edited by Tim013
  • Upvote 1