Tachometer

alexcolka

• 2 weeks later...

I checked the RPM gauges in X-Plane and the values are correct. The prop is fixed as you fly faster the airflow will increase the speed of the prop and engine. No you don't want to run the engine at max rpm for extended periods of time. Many aircraft engine manufactures have a maximum rpm time limit.

hm, I have to pull back the throttle nearly 50% in order not to "hit the red mark", wich will give me also a reasonable cruise speed in the 152. It is good to know if that's right or not. At least it feels exaggerated, but maybe I'm spoiled because I also own J. Chandlers 150, where the effect is not that heavy.

• 3 weeks later...

Just to be sure - I just tried the plane again and left the throttle at max. It climbed at 1100ft per minute at a speed of 80 knots for several minutes. Tach reads 2700 and the digital data output (on screen) agrees. I was mis-reading the tach numbers before. However, the powerful engine giving the climb rate above does seem odd. I think I saw where you said that you found something. Awaiting that fix. Thanks

Just to be sure - I just tried the plane again and left the throttle at max. It climbed at 1100ft per minute at a speed of 80 knots for several minutes. Tach reads 2700 and the digital data output (on screen) agrees. I was mis-reading the tach numbers before. However, the powerful engine giving the climb rate above does seem odd. I think I saw where you said that you found something. Awaiting that fix. Thanks

In a climb it is strange to get anything over redline, but I try to climb out as close to 67 knots as I can get in the 152. If you are flying straight and level you should be able to exceed redline up to about 2800rpm. I don't know about a dive, I have never gone into one with a high power setting. As for a climb rate of 1100ft a minute, this sounds about right, in a full power climb with low weight you can get around 1200ft to 1500ft a minute. Now if you are heavy it is normally around 500ft to 900ft a minute at lower altitudes.