A couple of funny things

kneighbour

Because it is pretty hard to set the AP on climb, as an experiment I tried engaging the AP on the ground before takeoff. Not a good thing to do, as it turns out!

As I applied power for the take off roll, the plane lept into the air about 50' into the roll. ie virtually instantly. I suspect that this is physically impossible. Pitch trim was at max. Weirdly enough, I managed to reset the trim and continue the flight.

I am not saying this is a problem or anything - but I found it startling, to say the least.

Another small thing is that I tie some hardware switches to the AP Pitch up/down commands. These are my results

pitch_wheel_neg  - this increases V/S

pitch_wheel_pos  - this decreases V/S

to my way of thinking this is back to front, but it is not a problem - I just switched the commands on my switches.

Lastly - I find adjusting the barometer nigh on impossible. I can drag the knob left and right almost the whole screen width and the setting will move by 1 or 2 if I am lucky. Scrollwheel operation does not seem possible. To fix this I tried using the XP commands barometer_up and barometer_down. This seems to work as my LUA script QNH_Helper says it is changing the QNH, but the cockpit indicator is not changing. Any hints in this area?

Another small thing is that I tie some hardware switches to the AP Pitch up/down commands. These are my results

pitch_wheel_neg  - this increases V/S

pitch_wheel_pos  - this decreases V/S

to my way of thinking this is back to front, but it is not a problem - I just switched the commands on my switches.

I had explained this previously, but it may have been in the beta forums so I will do it again.  The neg and pos on the commands define the  physical movement of the switch, neg being "switch" down and pos being "switch" up.   Edited by JGregory

Lastly - I find adjusting the barometer nigh on impossible. I can drag the knob left and right almost the whole screen width and the setting will move by 1 or 2 if I am lucky. Scrollwheel operation does not seem possible.

]This was reworked during beta and we had NO further complaints.  When you say ..."almost the whole screen width", are you zoomed in to the altimeter?  That would explain it. 

Saying " Scrollwheel operation does not seem possible." is quite vague. You will need to explain in more detail WHY it does not "seem" possible.  The scroll option works very well on the pilot's altimeter... scroll to get close to the value, click to refine.  Or perhaps you were referring to one of the other altimeters in the aircraft?  You need to clarify.

To fix this I tried using the XP commands barometer_up and barometer_down. This seems to work as my LUA script QNH_Helper says it is changing the QNH, but the cockpit indicator is not changing. Any hints in this area?
Because X-Plane's logic for the baro DataRef causes it to jump when adjusted directly, we are using an intermediate custom Dataref for the baro setting.  Therefore, you will not be able to use external hardware, XP commands, or other scripts to adjust the baro setting.  It's the price we must pay to get the adjustment to work properly.

Because it is pretty hard to set the AP on climb, as an experiment I tried engaging the AP on the ground before takeoff.

Again, the words you use to describe things are important. It may be hard for YOU to engage the AP on climb, but I can assure you that is not the case for others.  If you find it difficult to look down to the center console to engage the AP, simply assign the custom Saab command for AP engage to a button or key... it couldn't be easier.

Edited by JGregory

The baro knob on the pilot's altimeter is very very slow to adjust.  The standby and copilot is pretty fast.  For me I just adjust the stby first because it's much faster and will auto change the pilots.  Is this (the synced baro setting) by design though?

this is based on the camera angle, if you are too zoomed in it will move slow, move the camera back and it moves great

this is based on the camera angle, if you are too zoomed in it will move slow, move the camera back and it moves great

Not on my system. Fully zoomed out, draggng the control to the far left of the screen adjusts the reading by 8 and to the right also about 8.

The co-pilot adjustment is MUCH better. Movement to right about 110, left about 200 (it was not central).

The scrollwheel does not (on my system) work with either pilot or copilot QNH adjustments.

The baro settings on the co-pilot and pilot's altimeter are not synced as ryanbatc seems to imply.

]This was reworked during beta and we had NO further complaints.  When you say ..."almost the whole screen width", are you zoomed in to the altimeter?  That would explain it. 

Saying " Scrollwheel operation does not seem possible." is quite vague. You will need to explain in more detail WHY it does not "seem" possible.  The scroll option works very well on the pilot's altimeter... scroll to get close to the value, click to refine.  Or perhaps you were referring to one of the other altimeters in the aircraft?  You need to clarify.

No - fully zoomed out in normal flying view.

I said "Scrollwheel operation does not seem possible" because choice of words on this forum seems very important. I did not want to imply that there was a problem., Just that I could not seem to get it to work on my system. No doubt it is a setting somewhere that I have overlooked.

Scrollwheel operation DOES work on the Altitude selector, the Course and Heading selectors and no doubt other controls. But it is not working for me on any of the 3 altimeters.

For ryanbatc, it seems that if you adjust the QNH on the Standby Altimeter, it works just fine. By dragging, I mean, not scrolling.

To all concerned....

After further review... the drag manipulator on the pilot's altimeter will be adjusted for the next release.   There is no scrollwheel capability on the altimeters.  The pilot's altimeter and standby altimeter are synchronized.  The copilot's altimeter is independent.

Edited by JGregory

We're a picky bunch hehe!  But seriously, the plane is extremely well done... there's minor things I've found since 1.1 - I think all have been addressed with the latest release, and the QNH thing is pretty minor too.

yeah, just use the Standby Altimeter. That works just fine.