Basic flight parameters

kneighbour

I am somewhat surprised that so much is provided about the aircraft systems, but so little on how to fly. I will have to go through the Charts provided to workout the finer detail, but in the meantime, is the list below a fair summary (or rough outline) of the various flight regimes?

BEFORE TAKEOFF

[ ] Flaps -- 7° (1st position)

[ ] Condition lever -- Max

[ ] Trim position -- Reset?

TAKEOFF AND CLIMB

[ ] Thrust -- MAX POWER (not to exceed CTOT at 108%)

[ ] Pitch attitude after T/O -- 10°

[ ] At 500 ft and 130 kts IAS -- FLAPS UP

[ ] Accelerate to 160 kts IAS

[ ] Reduce TORQUE to 80%  (above 15,000' ?)

[ ] Engage AP with an initial ROC of 2000 fpm

[ ] Maintain 160 kts IAS and 1500-2500 fpm ROC until cruise altitude

CRUISE

[ ] Reduce Prop RPM to 1330 rpm  (see charts for exact setting)

[ ] Reduce TORQUE to 75-80%

[ ] Standard cruise speed is 197 kts TAS

DESCENT

[ ] Establish a descent rate of 1,500 fpm

[ ] Maintain 240 kts IAS during descent

APPROACH AND LANDING

[ ] PROP RPM -- MAX

[ ] Level approach flight (20-25 NM) is 210 kts clean configuration

[ ] 150 kts and Set Flaps 1 (7°)

below 140 kts - 15 degrees flap

[ ] Passing the OM or 1500 ft -- Gear Down - Flaps 3 (20°) - Speed 125 kts (Vref+5)

[ ] Disconnect AP before 50' above threshold

Edited by kneighbour

Thanks for pulling this list together.

I think a lot of it is wrong, which is why I posted it here. I will see if I can flesh it out by doing a lot more flying. Hopefully more experienced pilots on type can give some pointers. Already I can see some errors.

I think there's a tutorial that explains what the preferred settings are... been a while since I've done it.  I pretty much just put stuff in the green and call it good lol!

Not me. I fly almost exclusively in FSE. I tend to fly the same (or very similar) routes over and over again, kind of emulating what pilots do in real life. So it becomes very routine, and I like to make every flight as accurate and smooth as possible. It is better if you do everything by the numbers, so then every flight is duplicated exactly. Sounds boring when you say it that way, I guess, but I pride myself on getting everything just right and not spilling any passenger coffee. ie smooth NAV intercepts, that sort of thing.

And of course no RL pilot would ever just fly without any on type training...same here.

The Saab is a dual crew aircraft and you're operating it by yourself with a keyboard, mouse and other peripherals...  there's only so much realism one can achieve lol.

Oh, by the way, I highly recommend Pilot Edge - they've got a two week trial period...and it's a pretty FSE friendly service... a lot of guys combine their flying with FSE...  PE  it will add the ATC side to your realistic flying :)

http://www.pilotedge.net/

Edited by ryanbatc

The Saab is a dual crew aircraft and you're operating it by yourself with a keyboard, mouse and other peripherals...  there's only so much realism one can achieve lol.

Oh, by the way, I highly recommend Pilot Edge - they've got a two week trial period...and it's a pretty FSE friendly service... a lot of guys combine their flying with FSE...  PE  it will add the ATC side to your realistic flying :)

http://www.pilotedge.net/

PilotEdge is great, but not for the faint of heart. It's the real deal. I remember when I first starting flying real airplanes, talking to ATC was the scarier than landings. But you get used to it. I listen to LiveATC.net for fun just to keep up on the lingo. 

I am somewhat surprised that so much is provided about the aircraft systems, but so little on how to fly. I will have to go through the Charts provided to workout the finer detail, but in the meantime, is the list below a fair summary (or rough outline) of the various flight regimes?

BEFORE TAKEOFF

[ ] Flaps -- 7° (1st position)  OPTIONAL, depends on weight, winds, etc., but I do use 7°

[ ] Condition lever -- Max

[ ] Trim position -- Reset?

TAKEOFF AND CLIMB

[ ] Thrust -- MAX POWER (not to exceed CTOT at 108%)  I use a CTOT of 90. Increase power to 64% and the Auto Coursen increases it automatically

[ ] Pitch attitude after T/O -- 10°

[ ] At 500 ft and 130 kts IAS -- FLAPS UP

[ ] Accelerate to 160 kts IAS

[ ] Reduce TORQUE to 80%  (above 15,000' ?)  Follow the performance charts

[ ] Engage AP with an initial ROC of 2000 fpm

[ ] Maintain 160 kts IAS and 1500-2500 fpm ROC until cruise altitude

Don't forget Prop Sync switch to ON

CRUISE

[ ] Reduce Prop RPM to 1330 rpm  (see charts for exact setting) I use 1260, FWIW

[ ] Reduce TORQUE to 75-80% If you can get away with it, otherwise I get a Temps warning

[ ] Standard cruise speed is 197 kts TAS

DESCENT

[ ] Establish a descent rate of 1,500 fpm

[ ] Maintain 240 kts IAS during descent

APPROACH AND LANDING

[ ] PROP RPM -- MAX

[ ] Level approach flight (20-25 NM) is 210 kts clean configuration

[ ] 150 kts and Set Flaps 1 (7°)

below 140 kts - 15 degrees flap

[ ] Passing the OM or 1500 ft -- Gear Down - Flaps 3 (20°) - Speed 125 kts (Vref+5)  Then coming over the fence you can drop it to 100

[ ] Disconnect AP before 50' above threshold