Wingman Plugin development kit

jkiss1973

Hi,

Just wanted to post that I've created a plugin development kit for XPlane.  It's to help develop plugins for XPlane quicker and easier than the XPLM SDK

If you are a C# or Java programmer you already know a lot of C++. Give it try.

Getting started guide can be found here :http://www.sandorlabs.com/wingman/tiki-index.php?page=GS_GUIDE

Complete development kit including the cross compiler environment can be downloaded from http://www.sandorlabs.com/wingman

Thanks and ask if you have any questions or issues!

Cheers,

John

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I get that asked quite a bit and at this time the answer is no, the reason is for performance and portability.

Don't get me wrong, I really like C# with .NET and Mono but they run apps under a managed environment and no matter what anyone says they do not run as fast as a true native binary for the host. XPlane doesn't need any help to slow down its frame rates and nobody wants that.

So I'll throw this out there to you, you know C# so moving to C++ isn't that much different so give it a try. Yeah, sure there is still a bit of learning curve but you already know 90%, you have most of language syntax logic and I doubt your a newbie to programming so you have programming logic. These things you don't need to learn again so you are a head of the game. 

Heck, even if don't consider yourself a good programmer C++ isn't that hard to get into. People are smart, internet is awesome to find info on and I try to help out as much by providing as much documentation as I can to get anyone started.

The above statement is also true if you are a Java programmer. Java, C#, C++ the language syntax are very similar.

As for the portability side, another design goal for Wingman is to allow anyone to develop a plugin for Windows and within reason simply cross compile to Linux or Mac. Right now Wingman gives that. I just don't have a Mac to test and give proper instructions on the Cross Compile environment. Hopefully soon.

Cheers,

John

Edited by jkiss1973

• 7 months later...

Hi,

Wingman plugin development kit for XPlane v0.6.0 released.  

Click here to download and read Release Notes

Wingman helps develop plugins for XPlane quicker and easier using it's object oriented framework written in C++. Support is provided to build your plugin for Windows 32bit, Windows 64bit, Linux 64bit and Linux 32bit. After you create your plugin, it will package it for so you can distribute it to others.

Some highlights for this release.

• Camera class was revamped. The original design did not function very well and was hard to control.
  • WingmanDemo1 sees 3 new demo dialogs added : Camera, TerrainProbe, ScenaryObject Loader
  • A new collision detection class was added to support the XPTerrainProbe class and to support future object detection routines.
  • New Scenery Object Loader class. Loads OBJ8 files and places them an array of locations.
  • Updated the Build System so it's easier to make changes. Only the build.conf file needs to be changed per project and no longer the makefile. Note Makefile no longer needs to be modified even for project name.
  • All XP DataRef types supported including byte,float and double arrays.
  • Added support for XPLM 2.1. This means XPlane 9 is no longer supported.
  • 64bit Linux builds are supported - However due to issues with the VCCE and i386/amd64 archs 32bit Linux builds require the old VCCE 1.0.0 VM. 

If you are a C# or Java programmer you already know a lot of C++. Give it try.

Updated Getting started Guide: http://www.sandorlabs.com/tiki-index.php?page=GS_GUIDE

Updated Programmers Guide: http://www.sandorlabs.com/tiki-index.php?page=WM_PG

Cheers,

John

• 1 year later...