Running smooth then freezes to 1fpm.

buccirj

So my X-Plane 10 runs real smooth for the most part then after a while of flying, there are more sudden freezes and then all of a sudden, the frame rate drops to almost zero or so.  Super slow response, almost unflyable.  Then I just have to quit the flight because nothing I do will reset it to normal flying.  It's as if the computer just can't process it anymore but ran smooth from take off.

My specs:

i7-4770K

GTX 760 4G

18 GB RAM

750 watt PWU

ASUS Maximus Hero IV mb.

would I not get a computer shut down instead

Try just taking the panel off the side of your computer for a test run.  You might even place a fan somewhere that would blow cool air into the case for this trial.  

While the driver roll back and settings seem to help with "stutters", the FRs tend to stay up.  Also, I have never really seen much difference with the "performance" setting, although I have always used the high performance setting.

Your symptoms sound like something is going down during your flight and, in my experience, heat might be the culprit.  If it is, install more chassis fans, and if there is no space for that, I have actually cut a hole in the side panel and installed a fan there which would blow directly on the card.  Any additional fans can create additional dust - depending on your surroundings.  You might find, when you open your case, that a can of air is in order (another potential)!

Good luck with your search.

John 

Robert.

I can't thank you enough for the tip to turn off Threaded Optimization. I have been having a horible time with X=Plane since I got it a couple of weeks ago. No matter what my settings in X Plane were set to, when I got to my destination,the airport would be nothing more than a field, no runway at all,and the surrounding scenery was totally devoid of any features   It was always fine when I took off,but on landing there was nothing there. I was just about to give up on X Plane when I saw your tip in the Video cards and drivers section of the forum and I gave it a try. Wow! what a difference! Airports are now displaying as they should,and silky smooth performance and the frame rate is very good now too.

I am using the latest drivers (347.25) and they are just fine now with Threaded Optimization turned off,but I have taken note of the 337.88 drivers recomendation just in case.

All the best and thank you.

Dennis