Anyone use AMD CPU?

Brushbuster47

I have a person offering to build what he calls a gaming PC for $2,100 (US) using an AMD FX 6300 and only a 2 GB GPU. 

I've looked high and low and see nothing about any AMD users.  I don't want to start a war.  Something tells me the designs are not compatible with the software of any flight sims.  "Games" with monsters and dragons etc. are not what I'm after.

What would be the proper terminology to use to support using INTEL over AMD?

Regards, from almost south of the Border

I have an AMD CPU (AMD A8) . A CPU with strong single-core performance is not so important to X-Plane (however in most other games like GTA or Microsoft Flight Simulator the single-core performance is equally important as the GPU performance or even more). But as sqrt(-1) says, the more CPU power you have the better. I also have 2GB GPU (GeForce GTX 660). I have no problem - what slows my X-Plane down is GPU, hard disk and relatively slow RAM memory. And I have 12GB of RAM; X-Plane hardly guzzles that much.

Basically the AMD is slightly better in multi-core environment where Intel really shines in single-core performance. For me as a software developer where I need to run multiple high-demanding applications at once the AMD is slightly better option (and in this area you can never have too much RAM, which is also different from gaming). I put better (aftermarket) cooling into the box and I overclocked it to 4.7GHz. If you compare single-core performance of overclocked Intels and overclocked AMDs, the difference gets smaller - you can "beat the soul out of AMD" better. But be sure that you know what you are doing. Now-a-days CPUs are almost fool-proof, but not 100% - you can still fry it.

If you do want to have a computer to play games which are not optimized to use mutli-core processors, then Intel is much better choice. That's the reason why most gamers today prefer Intel to AMD.

When I started running X-Plane during the v8 days, I used AMD CPUs and continued to do so until about 10.20 when I switched to Intel.  Yes, you can overclock an AMD to within an inch of its life, but per clock cycle the Intel still gets more done.  I'm also a software developer (real-time financial analysis) and know the importance of running a number of demanding and mission critical applications as millions of $ of client funds are at stake.

I'll never use an AMD again.

Thank you for the sane responses sqrt(-1) and eMko.  Other sim. forums seem to turn in to verbal wars on this subject.

I suspected what you have described in just a few words even I could understand.  My old Gateway from 2003 has stopped running my FS 2004 in a reasonable manor.

Still shopping at this point.  I agree with your discussion.

Something fishy is going on as I type, so will close here. 

Any other suggestions on monitors would also be appreciated as my current one was an off the shelf quick buy while DW was working on out 50th high school reunion classmates list.  Much to be desired there.

Charles

I have an AMD CPU (AMD A8) . A CPU with strong single-core performance is not so important to X-Plane (however in most other games like GTA or Microsoft Flight Simulator the single-core performance is equally important as the GPU performance or even more).

I've heard the opposite, that for X-Plane single core CPU performance is very important (equally important as the GPU) for all of the CPU intensive rendering options . And also, to the OP, there is no way that based on the two components you've specified (2gb GPU doesn't really say that much) that that system should cost 2100 dollars...

Edit: the system in my signature (better than what you've said so far most likely) cost about 1100 dollars (I built it myself)...

Edited by asheft

Asheft,

You are correct in not all items given.  His "description" left a lot in question as it took me some time to search for AMD 6GB CPU just to find it "might be" the 6300. 

I'm only reaching for "why no AMD shows up in discussions".  The answer is obvious now as I suspected there was a real reason that was not discussed when someone needed help with an AMD product.  To many years of swapping circuit packs in AT&T offices trouble shooting a 4AM before a full work day has taken the desire to build anything on my own.  I just want to drive it.

Also learned in 2009 that if you want a real pickup, get a diesel.  Should've gotten an old one that smoked though!

Thanks for your info. on your machine as that is helpful at this point.  Guy who quoted me the "build" is a local computer repair person who does not flight sim. and loves AMD.  Emailed him tonight and wondering what his response will be. 

Also: there is www.xforcepc.com if all else fails.  Nice videos there I plan to look at in the AM. :wacko: