X-Plane 10.35 jitters in motion

ncc1701e

I have noticed during flight that even when I am getting a consistent 40-50 fps, I look at the ground as I am flying over it and there are little jitters in the rate of motion over the ground I can best describe it using text as:

normal,normal,normal,bit slow,normal,bit slow,normal,normal....(no pattern to repetition)

this might have been what I saw in say a 3 second period with the slow jitters lasting not even a second but definitely noticeable during which my fps stays between 40-50.

As far as my experimentation, I changed flight model from default the 2 to 3 and even tried 1, no difference.

Edit: Some more diagnostic information:

Happens both in X-Plane 10.35 32 and 64 bit. (It was happening even before the 10.35 upgrade)

Happens on a range of aircraft I tried from different manufacturers both payware and freeware. Helis and fixed wing. 

Even happens with default aircraft.

In all instances my frame rate was above 40 fps, sometimes even above 50 fps

I tried absolute minimal rendering settings and got consistent frame rates of 50+ and it still happens.

I don't use HD mesh.

Other research indicates that X-Plane 9.70 does not have this problem on my machine.

Edited by ncc1701e

Information about which aircraft and other products you're using at the time is very important.

Without the information all anyone can do is guess.

Yes. Stuttering happens. There are many reasons for it.

See my original post for more diagnostic info. I'd be happy to provide whatever else you need.

Might be gpu driver related, as such issues were reported with Nvidia drivers later than 337.88 on Windows machines.

Either revert back to above driver or try to turn off thread optimization in the driver 3D settings, which was reported to help minimize the described effects.

Just curious, I noticed you have a much beefier system than mine. Does it happen on your system? Were you also forced to use an older nVidia driver to eradicate this issue? Thanks for that tip about older drivers, would have never guessed that one.

Heart and Soul of our fix is simple:

• ROLL DRIVERS BACK to nVidia 337.88 WHQL (Windows Hardware Quality Lab Certified driver) May 26, 2014 available here.  This step is VERY important.  You do NOT have to uninstall your current nVidia drivers to install this older driver.  Just download the file and run it.  Tech explanation: Nvidia has been optimizing for Direct X, NOT OpenGL in their most-recent driver releases, the 377.88 driver appears to be the one best-suited to OpenGL which is what drives XPlane 10.  Some folks in this thread have said that the newer 9-series cards from NVidia will require a NEWER driver than this one.  The nVidia website will ask you to select your gpu series, then model, and 'search' and you will be presented with a list of compatible drivers.  If you're having issues as described here, try selecting the oldest COMPATIBLE WHQL driver in the list for your specific graphics card.  DO NOT select a 'beta' driver.
  • Right click on any empty spot on your desktop and then left-click on nVidia CONTROL PANEL.

• Click on the left side of the nVidia control panel 3-D Settings

• Under the GLOBAL SETTINGS tab, there is a setting "Multi-Display/mixed GPU acceleration".  If you use only ONE monitor for EACH PC, select Single PC performance mode.

• The very next setting is Power management mode, change to Prefer Maximum Performance.

• Near the bottom of the Global Settings window is Vertical Refresh Rate, select Adaptive (use half refresh rate).  This will lock your frames at 30fps.  Even though your video card (in our case nVidia GTX 770 and nVidia Titan) is capable of much much higher rates, because we both are using triple computers to drive 3 separate monitors, the goal is to have all three screens in perfect sync with no 'break apart' of the image.  Setting frames to 30 on all 3 PCs results in optimal smoothness and synchronization between all three monitors.

• Finally:  REPEAT these steps on each PC that is driving a monitor in your xPlane setup.

Please rate this post if you found it helpful.  This post is aimed at nVidia 7-series (and older) owners.

Edited by Jim Kallinen

ATTACHING your log.txt is always helpful.  Don't just copy and paste it, but use the More Reply Options button below the reply box to attach the log.txt file you will find in your root X-Plane folder.  The log.txt is usually very informative and lets us know what's going on with your X-Plane installation.  While your machine specs and your narrative are helpful, the log.txt will be even that much more enlightening.

Edited by ointment

Just curious, I noticed you have a much beefier system than mine. Does it happen on your system? Were you also forced to use an older nVidia driver to eradicate this issue? Thanks for that tip about older drivers, would have never guessed that one.

Yes it does, even with threaded optimization off. That's why I am staying with 337.88.

Indeed I have my rendering settings mostly on high levels, to gain the maximum from my hardware. I can imagine that these stutters would not appear, once the rendering settings are lowered, so giving the hardware more variable power.

Heart and Soul of our fix is simple:

• ROLL DRIVERS BACK to nVidia 337.88 WHQL (Windows Hardware Quality Lab Certified driver) May 26, 2014 available here.  This step is VERY important.  You do NOT have to uninstall your current nVidia drivers to install this older driver.  Just download the file and run it.  Tech explanation: Nvidia has been optimizing for Direct X, NOT OpenGL in their most-recent driver releases, the 377.88 driver appears to be the one best-suited to OpenGL which is what drives XPlane 10.  Some folks in this thread have said that the newer 9-series cards from NVidia will require a NEWER driver than this one.  The nVidia website will ask you to select your gpu series, then model, and 'search' and you will be presented with a list of compatible drivers.  If you're having issues as described here, try selecting the oldest COMPATIBLE WHQL driver in the list for your specific graphics card.  DO NOT select a 'beta' driver.
  • Right click on any empty spot on your desktop and then left-click on nVidia CONTROL PANEL.
  • Click on the left side of the nVidia control panel 3-D Settings
  • Under the GLOBAL SETTINGS tab, there is a setting "Multi-Display/mixed GPU acceleration".  If you use only ONE monitor for EACH PC, select Single PC performance mode.
  • The very next setting is Power management mode, change to Prefer Maximum Performance.
  • Near the bottom of the Global Settings window is Vertical Refresh Rate, select Adaptive (use half refresh rate).  This will lock your frames at 30fps.  Even though your video card (in our case nVidia GTX 770 and nVidia Titan) is capable of much much higher rates, because we both are using triple computers to drive 3 separate monitors, the goal is to have all three screens in perfect sync with no 'break apart' of the image.  Setting frames to 30 on all 3 PCs results in optimal smoothness and synchronization between all three monitors.
  • Finally:  REPEAT these steps on each PC that is driving a monitor in your xPlane setup.

Please rate this post if you found it helpful.  This post is aimed at nVidia 7-series (and older) owners.

Thanks Jim, I will try this and see if it solves my problems. Thanks for the detailed instructions.