OOM-Not new?

madair

I am getting oom experiences flying the Saab which of course includes Gizmo and I also use Skymax pro. The failure occurs after about an hrs flying when a warning is shown that memory is low and shortly afterwards it invites me to shut down Similar flights in a Caronado Stationair does not produce the same result. Settings are modest and achieve FPS  25/35 on the Saab and 40/50 plus on the Caronado. Either there is a cumulative build up in the memory without release of "used" or there would appear to be a leak.

I have read the various stuff about these issues here but that seemed to have been dealt with. I'm not sure about that and whether the issues are being addressed in the beta Gizmo or the anticipated Saab update. It is a really nice aeroplane to fly. very smooth with no stutters or go slows. I have used sensible settings on Skymax Pro.

I don't know what to do now given the predictability of the failures.

My system is an I.5 4.2 , 8 gb of RAM and an Nvidia GTX 770 2GB graphics card. I know the RAM is a bit tight but assuming that a lot of memory is taken up in the Graphics card I really don't think that is such an issue. The reasonable FPS and perfect handling up to the failure point seem to me to point in other directions. 

I would like some advice please.

Edited by madair

The first thing you should do is update to V10.35r2.  Then you need to get rid of or fix your EGBJ - Gloucestershire v1.0 scenery and especially fix or get rid of your Pilot Plus - EGHI Southampton Intl V1.1 scenery.  There are some nasty errors in that scenery package.  Some people will tell you log.txt scenery errors are not cumulative, but the more errors you have in your log.txt, the worse your X-Plane will run.  As more and more errors accumulate, X-Plane finally decides it has had enough and quits.

I also suggest disabling your Global Scenery.  I know that turns off all the default custom scenery, but just look at all the errors in KFRG alone.  Disabling your Global Scenery will get rid of all those other scenery errors at the beginning of your log.txt.  

Try those things and see what happens.  I don't really see any plugins issues.  I'm not familiar with xplane-plugins.eBag, but it doesn't appear to be an issue.

Good luck.

Martin,

I just discovered your EGHI scenery is apparently payware.  I recommend copying the EGHI error messages from your log.txt and sending them to the designer.  Payware scenery should be error free.  

It might be interesting to take a look at your scenery_packs.ini file.  Would you mind posting that?

Martin,

There is absolutely NO reference to the Saab in you Log.txt file.  You need to run the Saab and try to recreate the OOM, then send us the Log.txt file from that session.

If you are getting OOM issues with other aircraft, then the Saab is obviously not the problem. As no one else has reported an OOM issue with the Saab, my guess is the Saab has nothing to do with your problem.  You should definitely "clean up" you scenery issues, and then remove all plugins and put them back one at a time as a test.

Thanks Jim

I ran the same trip with another aircraft to see if the same thing happened which it didn't. I am not sufficiently experienced with x plane, being a long term MSFS user, so I hadn't appreciated that the Saab flight would not be there. I will do as you suggest and get back to you when I can.

Martin

Martin,

I just discovered your EGHI scenery is apparently payware.  I recommend copying the EGHI error messages from your log.txt and sending them to the designer.  Payware scenery should be error free.  

It might be interesting to take a look at your scenery_packs.ini file.  Would you mind posting that?

I have updated the EGHI scenery which is quite new to version 1.2 an update which has just come out.

There is absolutely NO reference to the Saab in you Log.txt file.  You need to run the Saab and try to recreate the OOM, then send us the Log.txt file from that session.

Doh!!  I knew there was something else I missed in the log.txt.  As Jim said, you can't very well diagnose a problem unless you have the log.txt that is generated at the end of the session you were flying.  

Nice catch, Jim.

Jim

I've recreated a similar flight between EGHI and EGBB as before and close to EGBB I started getting the memory warnings as before although it did not actually crash this time. Having said that I did notice that the scenery at EGBB was not displaying as it should.

As an aside, but perhaps not for this topic, I have been having some difficulty starting the engines since a reinstall, having to reload the aircraft after which it worked normally.I mention this in case it is relevant.

Here are the promised logs.

Martin

Log.txt

GizmoLog.txt

Martin,

2GB is RIGHT on the cuff for XP10 and anything "nice" to look at. Given your rather custom setup (scenery, plug-ins, higher end aircraft), I think you're pushing your setup pretty hard.

This is not a common issue. In fact, I can't even remember the last time I heard of some kind of an OOM issue. Wish we could help more, but I think you're going to need to tinker more on your end. Try a fresh demo install of X-Plane, or a full "vanilla" one with the Saab and see how you go there.

Would you mind disabling both your EGHI and EGBJ scenery files and doing the same flight?  I agree with Cameron that this probably has a lot to do with your rendering settings, coupled with some bad scenery.  

Either do as Cameron suggests with a Demo X-Plane install or go into your scenery_packs.ini and simply put _DISABLED right after SCENERY_PACK on your EGHI and EGBJ scenery listings.  You say you've updated the payware, but it is still generating some egregious errors.  To disable a scenery file for testing, the listing in your scenery_packs.ini should look like this:

SCENERY_PACK_DISABLED Custom Scenery/Pilot Plus - EGHI Southampton Intl V1.2/

Good luck….again!

I have reviewed stings once more plus have done a complete uninstall reinstall of the aircraft. We will see where that goes before I mess with scenery.

What does puzzle me is whether and to what extent x plane ever dumps anything from memory. If it just build and builds then memory usage is bound to suffer. EGHI was only at the start of the flight so I would not have expected that to be retained but seemingly it does?

Also when I look at graphics card usage in settings it suggests that I have used or predicts the need for 1.2 GB, well beneath capacity. Am I missing something here?

Of course most problems occurred post Skymax pro and previous reinstall (which may not have been done properly but now has). I don't expect you to comment on Skymax except to the extent that you are aware of issues on Gizmo which is used as part of your product.

Finally as the issues seem to crop up after about am hr. I will review auto virus updates and make sure they are not suddenly happening in the background.

I am along term MSFS user but thought I would make serious inroads into using x plane particularly now more presentable aircraft and scenery are available. I have to say I am not particularly encouraged so far.

Martin

I

Please expand on "aware of issues on Gizmo which is used as part of your product."

There were issues, a long time ago. These have been fixed. This is public knowledge.

The very small number of people that have issues is literally 0.001% or LESS of installs.

As for X-Planes VRAM summary, it's also widely known that it's not very useful.

It reports only a small subset of what x-plane itself uses and nothing at all useful about what other plugins are using.

You need to be willing to troubleshoot in a demo install copy.

Taking a position of fiddling about "before you mess with scenery" when you've been specifically advised to "mess with scenery" is frustrating and counter productive.

If you have further current facts and links to back your assertions about Gizmo than I am more than willing to hear it publicly and investigate.

Good luck.

Thanks Ben

I'm not knocking Gizmo but asking if there are historical problems which remain to be resolved. I saw reference to earlier problems but not that they had been resolved. I am pleased to hear it.

It is a combination of inexperience with x plane and a steep learning curve which I am working on. I will go down the demo install route when I reach that point which I haven't yet. I note your remarks about the VRAM summary which is useful to know thanks. It may be widely known but as yet not by me-until now.

At the moment the suggestion seems to be "it aint us". Ok I will persevere and see what I can come up with. I think it best to do so many things at once , otherwise the picture becomes clouded. I realise this is a good argument for demo install but I will see.

Thanks again

martin

Thanks Ben

I'm not knocking Gizmo but asking if there are historical problems which remain to be resolved. I saw reference to earlier problems but not that they had been resolved. I am pleased to hear it.

It is a combination of inexperience with x plane and a steep learning curve which I am working on. I will go down the demo install route when I reach that point which I haven't yet. I note your remarks about the VRAM summary which is useful to know thanks. It may be widely known but as yet not by me-until now.

At the moment the suggestion seems to be "it aint us". Ok I will persevere and see what I can come up with. I think it best to do so many things at once , otherwise the picture becomes clouded. I realise this is a good argument for demo install but I will see.

Thanks again

martin

When it "is" us it tends to explode exponentially..

There'd be a _lot_ more noise on the forums if there were wide spread reproducible problems with any part of our products.

I acknowledge that there are definitely rare cases where an individual users machine just will not want to play ball, when these things happen we are forced to go by the numbers.

If the problem is widely reported then it is very likely us and receives immediate time and resources to resolve.

If the problem is not widely reported then it is usually some kind of misconfiguration on the target machine.

This may be X-Plane, the OS or the hardware itself. It can and does happen, but it's very very rare.

At this time I feel it is fair to say that your reported issues fall into the latter camp, they are not widely reported.

We have very few error reports about anything.

Those that are "open" are usually VRAM-squeeze related and can be resolved by tuning on the side of caution.

Thanks for your understanding.

I'm sorry if I'm overly defensive but these things can explode into unsubstantiated rumor very quickly.

Cheers.

Ben.

No probs Ben. Sorry if I am thinking out loud and I repeat I am not knocking your product, just searching for comment and advice. Having decided to go for it with X plane I naturally resist throw away answers. I've seen a lot of your posts. I'm not one of the lazy ones who say what do I do next. Equally I don't get  fobbed off easily but am happy with feed back so far which helps me move forward. At this point I would usually put an"x" but don't think it would be appreciated! lol

M