PMDG Development Update Thread

Tom Knudsen

….and yet, Flash still does not work on iPhones.  Not many people using Flash nowadays, but it's the principle.

Now back to our regularly scheduled topic…...

which is exactly what i said,  they refused to adapt and now lost alot of signifcance.

But on topic, while I adore my steam gauge fl-j-sim 732 and 727, they are no glass cockpit planes. To get those, including the fmc, to almost 100% is another ballgame. Personally I only see IXEG reaching, and by latest videos even surpassing, the standard of PMDG (in glass FMC cockpits, with LES and others we have excellent non fmc makers on that level). The 733 Classic will be a showcase on what will be the benchmark in that category that PMDG will have to live up to, and hopefully lead to a challenging arms race to produce the most realisitc planes :)

I would assume that any of the functions not normally used by the pilots would not be simulated. MX items and such.

Nope, that's not what I'm referring to. Some of it even route display and FMC related even.

That said, I'm not here to criticize their work. They still make great products and a lot of work goes into them, even if sometimes not truthfully simulated in some ways. If you're not aware of what may be wrong then there's no sense in ruining what you feel is an already great experience! :)

Ok, now I'm criticized because I said that PMDG, LES and IXEG are the best devs!!

Let me explain why: If I download a real FCOM and I work by that book in my simulated plane from PMDG, LES or IXEG everything is working, that for me is as real as it get's, and that for me is the best!!!

Now, I see that in XPX community, peoples are pleased by freeware planes, it doesn't matter if it has an FMC or if the systems are simulated, well, that's not me, I don't use freeware planes and I will never use.

A wile back I've bought JAR A320 and SSG 747 from the .org, I've never used them because they lack system simulation and I'm not enjoying them; for example, if I press 1 fuel pump button on SSG 747, all of them are turning ON, that for me is a big no no, and never used it from that point, JAR A320 is much better, but again, FMGS is poorly simulated and for that reason I've never used it, those are two small examples in those planes, there are more!!

Now, you see what I mean, I only fly planes that are simulated by the book, money are no problem, If the plane is simulated by the book I will pay every penny that the devs are asking for, and the devs that are actualy working by the book right now are LES, PMDG and IXEG, others will come, but for now only this 3. 

• Upvote 1

A few years ago I used to fly the PMDG 737 in FSX , but according to IXEG videos I can say that IXEG has better immersion in it; all the "small" things , like the way that the cockpit lights fade in and out gradually , and not suddenly , and many more things like this which makes the IXEG superior , and that's just when watching the videos many times to notice every little part.

But that's doesn't mean that IXEG as developers are better than PMDG (or vice versa...) , let's not forget that PMDG are working with dated 32bit platform.

However , if you compare IXEG733 VS PMDG737 (again , even though the first isn't released , but the videos they posted shows almost everything you need to know to compare) , IMO IXEG is more impressive in every aspect.

To actually compare IXEG VS PMDG as developers , we'll need to see what level can PMDG achieve in Xplane , but honestly , I just don't care.... both are great , both will give Xplane great airliners in the near and far future.

A few months ago , all the FSX guys said there is no PMDG quality in Xplane , now we have 3 like those (including LES IMO) , while PMDG are "the true path" in the FSX/P3D world.

• Upvote 1

PinkJackal: I of course don't want to spoil your gaming experience. Truth is that the LES aircraft are among the best available. But did you try to start their DC-3 "by the book"? This is the most visible simplification, but I believe that more could be found.

What we have in a computer game is just a model. Some models are closer to reality, some are less. But nobody is going to make absolutely perfect model, at least today (just compare X-Plane 10.35 with FS98; maybe that in next 15 the situation will be so that 100% models are possible).

A few years ago I used to fly the PMDG 737 in FSX , but according to IXEG videos I can say that IXEG has better immersion in it; all the "small" things , like the way that the cockpit lights fade in and out gradually , and not suddenly , and many more things like this which makes the IXEG superior , and that's just when watching the videos many times to notice every little part.

I did not want to join the discussion but I think you raise a valid point that I was about to mention as well that does not really concern systems depth:

The IXEG 737 seems to have more of a character compared to other projects we've seen. Keep in mind that may be because we already have videos available and most of them are of a certain quality, but overall, that's my impression. I get a similar impression from Rotate's MD-80 cockpit screenshots (although I would not compare them in any other way (yet)).

Either way, I would not dare compare until release. And even then... PMDG and IXEG are releasing different planes after all. I will definitely pick up both either way. Both devs would simply not release a product that is lacking in quality :)

eMko: I fly only liners (modern liners), so no, I didn't try the DC-3, but we are talking here their first model, look what they did with the SAAB, it's absolutely astonishing, look at PMDG first plane, B1900 do you think it was a perfect replica, no, absolutely not, but look at their products now, look at LES Cessna, it will be a first day buy because I know that when I'll put my hands on Cessna 550 FCOM (if I come across one) and I will try it on LES plane it will be spot on, this is what I like to fly, this is what I need for my satisfaction, not a simple model with a great livery and wing flex, everybody is talking about wing flex, if it doesn't have wing flex it's not good!

Do you think real pilots care about wing flex, do you think real pilots care about their plane paint job? 

Do you see the captain coming to your seat and watch his wing flex and if it doesn't flex his teling his copilot "Hey, rock this plane mate so I can see the wing flex, that's my boy, Oh look at this wing flex mate, oh it's beautiful" :)

Well, real pilots really care about their plane working by the book, so am I, I want my simulated plane to work by the book!!

Every developer has it's first try on a simulator, than it will perfect his code, his graphics, the level of simulation.

Don't judge developers from their first product, judge them on their 2nd or 3rd one!!!

Edited by PinkJackal

I judge LES from products which I bought and which are still available on the market, the DC3 and SF34. Both are extraordinary good. I would expect that people behind LES had previous experience before releasing the DC-3 (either on freeware/private projects or creating the DC-3 and rebuilding it from the scratch at least once). And I'm really looking forward for the new version of SAAB. I didn't try to fly their Cessna yet so I can't judge it. Videos and screenshots look extremly good however.

For PMDG Beech 1900 - if I remember correctly there wasn't a Beech 1900 of that quality in the time it hit the market. Yes, today you can see freeware aircraft better than that which is probably the reason why I can't find it on PMDG website for purchase anymore. But in the time when it was new it was good. I had really a ton of fun with it. I don't think that aircraft should be exact replica. It's not possible with today's desktop computers anyway.

And I don't give much care about wing flex. I don't look at them anyway. What I look for is good looking and readable cockpit instruments and the fact the aircraft is fun to fly. LES did a good job in both DC3 and SF34. Availability of those two aircraft really motivated me to move from FSX to X-Plane, because the DC-3 (MAAM version) and JS41 (PMDG) were my favourites there and I didn't want to give them up. OTOH I also really enjoy the Carenado aircraft - they are not "the most hardcore simulations", but they are fun to fly.

eMko: I fly only liners (modern liners), so no, I didn't try the DC-3, but we are talking here their first model, look what they did with the SAAB, it's absolutely astonishing, look at PMDG first plane, B1900 do you think it was a perfect replica, no, absolutely not, but look at their products now, look at LES Cessna, it will be a first day buy because I know that when I'll put my hands on Cessna 550 FCOM (if I come across one) and I will try it on LES plane it will be spot on, this is what I like to fly, this is what I need for my satisfaction, not a simple model with a great livery and wing flex, everybody is talking about wing flex, if it doesn't have wing flex it's not good!

Do you think real pilots care about wing flex, do you think real pilots care about their plane paint job? 

Do you see the captain coming to your seat and watch his wing flex and if it doesn't flex his teling his copilot "Hey, rock this plane mate so I can see the wing flex, that's my boy, Oh look at this wing flex mate, oh it's beautiful" :)

Well, real pilots really care about their plane working by the book, so am I, I want my simulated plane to work by the book!!

Every developer has it's first try on a simulator, than it will perfect his code, his graphics, the level of simulation.

Don't judge developers from their first product, judge them on their 2nd or 3rd one!!!

This is flight SIMULATION. We can make the experience what we want it to be. I got into flight simulation because I enjoy the entire experience of flight. I like to watch the aircraft from the exterior as it hauls through the sky. I like sitting in the cabin of the payware Challenger 300 and listen to the music and pretend I'm rich. I like replaying my landings and watching the aircraft flare because I think it's most beautiful.when landing. Just because you like to operate aircraft according to real world procedures doesn't reduce the experience of any other flight simmer.
  • Upvote 1

<br /><br />In what way?

From what I have seen from the movies posted by IXEG, the simulation and features are way more realistic than PMDG has ever been. Not saying the one is better than the other, but from what I have seen

they have been more focused on details, especially hidden details most reconized by airline pilots than by dekstop pilots..

From what I have seen from the movies posted by IXEG, the simulation and features are way more realistic than PMDG has ever been. Not saying the one is better than the other, but from what I have seen<br />they have been more focused on details, especially hidden details most reconized by airline pilots than by dekstop pilots..

Really? They don't seem to be doing anything that different than PMDG. Even their development times are similar :P

• 2 weeks later...