Takeoff speeds in Performance charts, AOM, AFM

Allerbmu

Hi all.

I started using X-Plane about 6 months ago and did my basic introduction training on Cessna. Around a month ago I discovered LES SAAB 340A and fell in love. It was really what I was looking for: a perfect combination of more complex aircraft modeled accurately and realistic as possible but not too modern and automated where you feel more like a programmer than a pilot :) I have been enjoying it since and I often catch myself thinking on my commute from work where I will be flying next this evening.

Although still a complete beginner I really enjoy learning through playing with the simulation since before that all I really knew about airplanes was that they fly and occasionally unintentionally fall from skies. Now I want to "master" it all. I do not use engine auto-start since I really love pushing those switches in right sequence and follow checklist items. I try to do my own fuel calculations. I fly real weather and check weather conditions...

There are two things that are still bothering me. I tried to find answers for myself but I am unsuccessful so I hope someone here will be able to point me in the right direction.

First - I am having trouble understanding 6 charts referring to V1, VR and V2 takeoff speeds (pages 32-37) in "charts" document that is part of the aircraft package. While I know what V1, VR and V2 mean. I cannot figure out when each of the chart should be used - under which conditions?

Second - in the same "charts" document when discussing various speeds for various parts of flight (pages 26-29) in reference column there are references to AOM and AFM. I guess that AOM stands for Aircraft Operating Manual and AFM stand for Aircraft Flight Manual. Is it possible to obtain those two documents? Or are they already a part of manual package that came with aircraft model?

Anyway as you can see not a critical issues at all. I enjoy the plane almost every day and I would like to take this opportunity to congratulate developers on the superb job and to let them know that they have huge fans out there who are having trouble waiting for new plane releases and updates and are all about realism and details. Keep up the good work!

Thanks,

Allerbmu 

• Upvote 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
On 24/02/2015 at 7:29 AM, Allerbmu said:

First - I am having trouble understanding 6 charts referring to V1, VR and V2 takeoff speeds (pages 32-37) in "charts" document that is part of the aircraft package. While I know what V1, VR and V2 mean. I cannot figure out when each of the chart should be used - under which conditions?

The charts might be for a given weight of the plane, a given Flaps Settings, runway lenght or a given temperature

I don't have your plane so I don't have the charts but usually these are the factors to calculate VSpeeds

• 3 weeks later...

Just want to pop up this topic again, since there seems no anwer given yet.

The Pages 32 to 37 describe the v1, vr, v2 speeds. But which page to use? I assume, the different pages apply to different weights, engine A/I and/or flap settings?  There are no headlines on the charts which might help to figure out which of the 6 charts to use.

• 4 months later...

We're preparing a rather large upgrade of this package for XP11, and part of this upgrade is a modified flight model and added documentation.

What we have included in the documentation in the current package is , pretty much, taken out of the AOM and is what pilots use in their every day duties.  It's difficult to simplify something that relies on complex calculations, in a quick and dirty way to make it more understandable.

I'm looking at some kind of simplification for the upgrade, and we'll include it in the current XP10 version.

For now, if there are any specifics you need help with within the charts, please feel free to ask and I'll do my best to help.

• Upvote 1

I'm not looking for simplification, But as stated before by @Charraeus in this thread, there are pages of VSpeed tables, but missing the headline which should state about parameters to consider. 

For example, What flap setting is this chart for ? 

screen.png

Edited by Tchou
typo
  • Upvote 1

• 8 months later...
  • 11 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I'd like to see those examples, or anything else that can clarify which chart to choose between pages 32-37.

Edit: If I could hazard a guess, it would follow the format of the succeeding 6 charts.  Another hint is the final three don't have flaps up speeds listed.  So from 32-37 it would be:  

32: FLAPS 15, ECS OFF, A/I OFF

33: FLAPS 15, ECS ON A/I OFF

34: FLAPS 15, ECS ON, A/I ON

35: FLAPS 0, ECS OFF, A/I OFF

36: FLAPS 0, ECS ON, A/I OFF

37: FLAPS 0, ECS ON, A/I ON

Thanks!

Edited by shipsaw
Thoughts came