Can't Navigate to NDBs

LJKMartin

Sorry if this is RTFM (and point me to the page if it is) but why doesn't my RMI do anything?

I've followed the tutorial and flicked both switches to VOR but both arrows stay horizontal pointing to the right. 

At the end of the tutorial I dialled in the NDB frequency to the ADF radio on the pedestal, flicked the switch on the RMI and pressed BRG to display in the EHSI, and still the arrows don't move.  The EHSI NDB pointer also doesn't move.

I've also sat in my home airport (EGHI) and dialled in the local VOR and NDBs, and the RMI doesn't respond then either.

Yep,

ADF mode on the radio, dialled in the frequency and flicked the switch to transfer it to the live frequency, just like on the Nav radio.

The EHSI displays the direction to the VOR, but not the NDB.  The RMI does nothing whether I set it to ADF or VOR.

What else do I need to do to activate the RMI?

Yep,

ADF mode on the radio, dialled in the frequency and flicked the switch to transfer it to the live frequency, just like on the Nav radio.

The EHSI displays the direction to the VOR, but not the NDB.  The RMI does nothing whether I set it to ADF or VOR.

What else do I need to do to activate the RMI?

Did you turn on the inverter?

Works fine for me.  Let's review:

1. Must have avionics turned on.

2. Must set ADF radio mode selector to "ADF"

3. Must set a frequency of an NDB that is within range.

4. Inverter switch must be on.

5. RMI selector for the radio in use (ADF1 or ADF2) must be set to "ADF"

I tested this at airport SCIP runway 10.  ADF1 and ADF2 radio set to 280.

Thanks Jim,

Works at SCIP!  and at EGTF.

When doing the tutorial Boston to JFK I didn't have the inverter on.

But I'm based at EGHI and that's where I've been trying to get it to work and even with the inverter on, it still can't locate the NDB EAS at EGHI.  This is listed at 392KHz in some sources.  So I've checked that elsewhere and it's 391.5 there.  So I've now dialled in 391, and that works!

I really appreciate the help, but (although they weren't the problem in this case) I think the manuals could be more useable.  I run an IT Training Consultancy so I have a lot of experience in this area.

Best wishes

Can I butt in and just say I have encountered some NDBs on xplane that seem to be duds, ie you dial in the freq and nothing shows up.

Coincidence, as I spent most of yesterday doing circuits/touch'n'goes around EGKK to acclimatise in the Challenger 300 and the Fairoaks (freq 348) and Rochester (freq 339) NDBs are exactly as this.

I seem to find a few of these duds too often, so I tend to use VOR-DME's if i can as they're a bit more reliable in xplane.

If it is that some NDBs seem to be problematic, have you tried any NDBs elsewhere?

Also, not sure where you found EAS as freq 392 & 391.5? In Local Map it's 391.  Haven't looked at Goodway yet, but will next time I'm on the sim.

Edited by Nicola_M

Also, not sure where you found EAS as freq 392 & 391.5? In Local Map it's 391.  Haven't looked at Goodway yet, but will next time I'm on the sim.

Current Jeppesen:

2mwfos0.png

The way X-Plane handles navaids at the moment (based on scenery tiles) is a bad joke.

Being 40 nm from the navaid (flat terrain) and unable to receive it's signal can ruin IFR experience.

I hope they are going to fix it at some point...

I tested this at airport SCIP runway 10.

My airport of choice when coding :lol:

Edited by niebieski
  • Upvote 1

Well, I'm new to IFR and obviously have a lot to learn.

392 was in a flight planning tool that also works with another flight simulator, and 391.5 was from pilotfriend.com.

No, not rude - I didn't think of looking on the local map, so it's good to know about that now.

Cheers everyone!

• Upvote 1

The way X-Plane handles navaids at the moment (based on scenery tiles) is a bad joke.

Being 40 nm from the navaid (flat terrain) and unable to receive it's signal can ruin IFR experience.

I hope they are going to fix it at some point...

Sorry, but that's incorrect.  While the local map only displays the navaids that are within the boundaries of the loaded tiles, the nav radios are NOT restricted to tuning navaids only within those same loaded tiles.  

Want to test it out? … Select an airport.  Using Skyvector or whatever, choose a navaid (i.e.. VOR) that is outside the loaded tiles (but not too far) when at that airport.  Open up the earth_nav.dat file and locate that navaid.  Change the range of the navaid so that it is farther than the distance that the navaid is from the airport (again, use Skyvector as necessary to measure).  Load up X-plane (with the stock C172) and put the aircraft at the selected airport.  Tune the nav radio to the frequency of the selected navaid.  Voila!… the VOR gauge will be ALIVE!

So, while you may not be happy with the default "distance" for some of the navaids in X-Plane, they are ALL "available" to the nav radio(s) regardless of what tiles are loaded.

Edited by JGregory

So, while you may not be happy with the default "distance" for some of the navaids in X-Plane, they are ALL "available" to the nav radio(s) regardless of what tiles are loaded.

Thanks for the info, Jim!

Was this changed in the last year or so? A while back when i first encountered this problem i'm sure i've seen some threads on the forums on this matter. With regards with what has been said above, i think i must recheck navaids range... Could it have been VOR or NDB frequency discrepancy between my charts and X-Plane navdb? I doubt it because i think i could have receive "faulty" navaid when unrealisticaly closer to it. But anyway, i'm gonna test it once again with 10.32r1 and report back.

• Upvote 1

Just to add, I've just checked in Goodway and EAS is listed there as 391 too.  Not saying Jeppesen is wrong, but maybe certain parts of xplane aren't as correct as they should be so maybe dedicated sources might show frequencies that's likely to tie-in with xplane, such as Local Map in xplane, or Goodway.