Lightning Question

DCS17

I wonder if I am the only person who doesn't really like the lightning effects in SkyMaxx Pro?

The rest of it is fantastic and I wouldn't be without it.

BUT the frequency of the lightning is just too much for me, and it looks a bit tacky to my eyes as well - too thick and long lasting.

Personal taste of course !

So I'm wondering if there is any way to disable it, or to reduce its frequency/appearence?

I've had a quick look in the Silver Lining plugin folders, and only find a couple of shader files lightning.glsl

I have no programming knowledge so dont want to tinker too much !!!

I thus turn to the collective wisdom of the team to see if anyone has any ideas?

Thanks

Yes, there is a way to change this - but rather than tell you how to hack our configuration file (that would open up a Pandora's box of support problems), there is an upcoming update that I could slip a change into quite easily.

First though, I'd like to hear from others. As you said it's a matter of personal taste; real thunderstorms vary widely on their lightning frequency, and if it's too infrequent you'll rarely see it.

Hi John, I wouldn't mind being able to alter/turn down/remove lightning too! I've seen a few occurences where I've had otherwise clear days with a single lightning cloud just floating around... looks weird and makes little sense. It would also be nice to turn it off in areas where it is rare, like the UK of Scandinavia.

OK folks, I've halved the frequency of lightning strikes, and made the bolts themselves a bit thinner, in beta 4 of SkyMaxx Pro 2.1.1. This has been handed off to our beta testers, and we hope to release within the next few weeks.

jiggyb2 - make sure you're using SkyMaxx Pro 2.1 if you aren't already; those weird "lone thunderheads" shouldn't happen so much in that version.

Thanks for your feedback!

• Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...