Flat Clouds at the bottom

D-ETSN

Hi. Someone asked this Question in another forum and got no solution. so i want to try it here because i have the same Question and no issue.

Here the original Question.

"I mostly fly only light aircraft and normally at low altitudes, say 500 to 1500 Ft and when the clouds are very low or a very low mist the clouds in SkyMaxx V2 pro have an awful completely flat bottom which totally spoils the effect. Is there any way to stop or limit this at least?. As I have never had this with the standard X-Plane as I suppose the clouds in that don't get to low or ground level"

If they a cumulus, they DO have flat bottoms if they are being fed by a thermal. In fact when you get underneath, they are slightly indented. As a glider pilot we often get up into what we call the bell of the cloud. But when approaching or from a distance they look flat.

Sundog, please don't change the CU's they look great.

Edited by rocketmandlgc

Thats not what i mean. i mean that the clouds are flat if they touch the ground scenery.

Are you using an external weather injector like EFASS for example?

We do get occasional reports of clouds being too low. But, I suspect this is because the cloud altitude datarefs in X-Plane that we read from are specified to be MSL (above mean sea level), while METAR cloud altitudes are AGL (above ground level.) So, if we're erroneously being given AGL cloud altitudes and you're over higher-altitude terrain, that would result in the clouds appearing too low or even intersecting the ground when they shouldn't.

Just a theory. I suspect a bug report is in order with your weather generator, or maybe even with Laminar if you're using X-Plane's built-in real world weather.

If it does happen again, please make a note of the time, date, and location you're simulating when you see it. If it's possible to gather the actual METAR info that would be even better. I still suspect X-Plane is sending us AGL cloud heights even though it says MSL in this case, causing clouds to intersect the terrain when they shouldn't.