OpenGL error closes x-plane 10

miniarma

Im having issues with Sky Maxx Pro V2. It keeps causing X-Plane 10 to crash and give me an Open GL error code 9 and then closes down X-Plane.

I have the latest drivers for my GTX 660 so not sure why I am getting this error. It was happening a lot with NOAA plugin along with SkyMaxx Pro V2.

Hm, I can't seem to find any information on what "error code 9" means. But if I Google it, here's what comes up:

http://www.minecraftforum.net/forums/support/unmodified-minecraft-client/2141898-nvidia-opengl-error-code-9

It's a thread of people having the same problem in Minecraft, who coincidentally are using GTX 650 and GTX 660 cards.

I don't have this card, so all I can do is guess at things to try:

- Try rolling back to an earlier driver version; maybe it's a bug NVidia recently introduced in their drivers that only affects your family of cards. It looks like reports there started with driver 337.88 so try going back further than that to see if it makes a difference.

- Maybe you're running out of video memory; try deleting the settings.dat file in X-Plane's resources/plugins/silverlining folder and restarting, and if that doesn't help, try turning off cloud shadows in the SkyMaxx Pro configuration screen.

- Maybe your card is overheating. Does it only happen after flying for a few minutes? 

• 2 months later...

Hi, 

i have the same Problem as miniarma. The error sometimes comes after 3 hours, sometimes after 15 minutes, I already tryed your solutions but nothing worked.

My System:

i7 4770-k

8gb Ram

gtx 970 4gb ram

ssd

Drivers are the latest 344.75 Nvidia. Any other solutions so far ? Are there other users that have the same Problems?

Further research suggests that this OpenGL error comes from your NVidia drivers once GPU memory is exhausted. I see you have quite a bit of custom scenery and other add-ons installed, and I suspect Skymaxx Pro's clouds just pushes your system over the edge in some situations.

Fundamentally you need to reduce your VRAM usage. You can do this by removing custom scenery, turning of HDR and/or anti-aliasing, running at a lower resolution, or turning down the cloud draw distance and cloud detail settings in the Skymaxx Pro configuration screen.