GPS in the DC3

OK firstly I give you all permission to tell me i'm an idiot for asking this but here it goes

Can we add the GNS 430 GPS thing into the DCS at all (I know that ruins the classic nature of the aircraft i'm sorry)

I did scour through the forum but unfortunately could not see it (Either it's not there or I am blind)

Thanks in advance

Daniel

If you search the forum how to add it let's say to the B737-200, you can use the same procedure for DC-3. It just works. If you switch the GNS430 from "NAV" to "GPS" mode, it works as you would expect - doesn't couple with autopilot at all. ;-)

Now seriously, it ruins much of the entertainment from flying this plane. If you really must fly to somewhere where there is no VOR/NDB coverage, why don't you just add some? It's even easier than adding the GNS430 to the DC-3 (= i.e. couldn't be easier) and doesn't ruin the entertainment.

BTW if you are in range of 2 NDBs or 2 DMEs, you don't have to overfly them to preciesly navigate. Everything you need is a map, pencil and a ruler/protractor.

Edited by eMko
  • Upvote 1

The GNS430 also "integrates" as a pop-up. There's no difference between them in this area - except the installation which is different. For KLN90 you need to edit a text file in your favourite text editor, for GNS430 you need to edit the aircraft file in a planemaker. Setting a key for popping-up the panel is exactly the same amount of work for both.

If you search the forum how to add it let's say to the B737-200, you can use the same procedure for DC-3. It just works. If you switch the GNS430 from "NAV" to "GPS" mode, it works as you would expect - doesn't couple with autopilot at all. ;-)

Now seriously, it ruins much of the entertainment from flying this plane. If you really must fly to somewhere where there is no VOR/NDB coverage, why don't you just add some? It's even easier than adding the GNS430 to the DC-3 (= i.e. couldn't be easier) and doesn't ruin the entertainment.

BTW if you are in range of 2 NDBs or 2 DMEs, you don't have to overfly them to preciesly navigate. Everything you need is a map, pencil and a ruler/protractor.

I never thought about adding NDB/VOR I know what you mean. The only reason I was interested in adding it is to not have to bring up the map all the time.

Yes, the x-plane map pauses the game (if I remember correctly, I don't use it much). But you can use other solutions like Plan-G (which can show your aircraft's position and flight plan if you want), skyvector.com (doesn't show your position, but can show your flight plan), same for Jeppesen maps or hardware map (the "hardware" maps should be called "software" in fact because they are usually made of paper and they are soft :-D ). In all the cases, you see much lager area than in GNS530 and IMHO they are more convenient to use.

Of course feel free to use GNS530 if you want :-) - the "installation" procedure is exactly the same as for other aircrafts.

In reality......

You'll seldom find any vintage warbirds or airliners such as the DC-3, who don't use a handheld GPS in the cockpit, to navigate across the country (USA) attending airshows, etc. Too much advantage, versus the old methods. Other than that, since flight simulation is entertainment, then by all means, navigate with just VORs, maps, and pencils. I'm just pointing this out, because the original question is quite legit. 

Yes, of course I realize it :-) .

I even flew into troubles that STARs in my country are usually P-RNAV only and IVAO controllers are not happy about vectoring someone in heavier traffic. The same with adding custom NDBs - in real world it's impossible. But this is a game and should serve for entertainment. I just think that older navigation methods are more entertaining than putting everything into FMC or GPS; of course I also realize that many people don't share my opinion. That's the reason why I noted how it's possible to add the GPS to DC-3.

Reminds me a guy who want to attend a historical fencing show but we already had a full car so we advised him to take a train.

"How do I get there by a train?"

"The train stops there - the train stop has the same name as the village. Sometimes the direct trains goes there, sometimes you have to change in [name of a city]".

"How do I know if I have to change or not?"

"If you aren't clever enough to use a timetable, conductor tells you."

"How do I recognize him?"

"He wears a uniform so he looks like a jerk."

"Yes and do you have a GPS which I can borrow?"

"Why?"

"To find the place where the fencing show will be."

"You are not able to find clearly visible castle ruins above a village?"

"I don't know whether I must go to the left or right from the train stop and how far they are."

"Go uphill."

"Really?"

"Lord of Wüstehube who built it wasn't that fool to build a castle in the valley. Hardly anybody in 14th century would do that."

Edited by eMko
  • Upvote 1