CTOT help - not quite understanding

hobofat

I'm having difficulty understanding how the CTOT works. My understanding from the flight tutorial is that I slowly advance the power levers until it reads 64% on the TQ pop, then the CTOT should engage and take over adjusting the power levers for me. Is that correct?

The issue I'm having is I've never had the system engage. If I leave the power levers at 64% torque never advances to 108%. I read in the support forums that there might be some hardware issues with CLs, but I do not have my CLs assigned to hardware. I've been using an off-brand gamepad, and just recently got a Thrustmaster hotas x. But just to be sure I tried the take-off sequence multiple times with no hardware, just mouse controls and keyboard.

Any suggestions/help are much appreciated!

Ok, so it was my error all along, I was not adjusting the CTOT knob correctly. I was thinking that I was selecting the power level percentage at which the CTOT system would engage, but the knob selects the actual torque limit, so I was artificially limiting myself to about 70% torgue, then assuming the system failed to engage and adjusted the power lever manually.

Thank you for the quick response on a Saturday, excellent service as always.

I'm having difficulty understanding how the CTOT works. My understanding from the flight tutorial is that I slowly advance the power levers until it reads 64% on the TQ pop, then the CTOT should engage and take over adjusting the power levers for me. Is that correct?

The issue I'm having is I've never had the system engage. If I leave the power levers at 64% torque never advances to 108%. I read in the support forums that there might be some hardware issues with CLs, but I do not have my CLs assigned to hardware. I've been using an off-brand gamepad, and just recently got a Thrustmaster hotas x. But just to be sure I tried the take-off sequence multiple times with no hardware, just mouse controls and keyboard.

Any suggestions/help are much appreciated!

The power lever must be above 64 degree PLA (pretty sure that's when the AUTOCOARSEN ARM light illuminated on the A model) for the CTOT to engage. You should advance the TRQ with the PL's to approx 15-20% (to avoid torque bloom possibly over rated torque) below TRQ set on CTOT then turn CTOT switches on. Edited by Lawnmower

You should advance the TRQ with the PL's to approx 10-15% (to avoid torque bloom possibly over rated torque) below TRQ set on CTOT then turn CTOT switches on.

So if CTOT is set to 108% (per the tutorial) then I would advance the PL's to about 90% before engaging CTOT?

So if CTOT is set to 108% (per the tutorial) then I would advance the PL's to about 90% before engaging CTOT?

That will work. Even setting 80% will work. The reason for setting 15-20% less than rated is so that you don't exceed rated torque as airspeed increases and torque possibly blooms above CTOT setting. Set CTOT torque can be overridden by power levers.

Edited by Lawnmower