X-Plane 10 Coming To Steam in 10 DAYS!

HarryCYUL

I remember a few years back, Austin gloating how MS listed their MSFS under the "games" section on their own website. How different is this now for X-Plane?

I like X-Plane for the fact that it is a great simulator that doesn't crash when you have more than 2GB of scenery/textures/plugins/etc loaded.  I could care less what aisle the local grocery store sticks it in.  

Sure, Steam tends to cater to games, but they sell other stuff too.  And there is certainly no reason that flying can't be fun!

Well, as a loyal X-Plane user since v. 2.5.......X-Plane, you were a good friend.

I won't speak for the professional community of persons using X-Plane (flight schools & instructors, aerospace corporations, government agencies, etc.), but I'd have issues knowing that my software that I use can be purchased from steam, right along side with (as another poster here pointed out), violent, gore filled GAMES.

Can you imagine the following conversation?:

Student in NTPS (National Test Pilot School): WOW, this sim is GREAT! :o  What's it called?!

IP: X-Plane! :D

Student: Could I get this for MY computer? :)

IP: Uhhhh, yeeeaaah. :mellow:

Student: How? :D

IP: (Putting his head down and trying not to say it too loud).....Steam. :unsure:

Student: Oh. :wacko:

All THIS coming at a time when X-Plane was attracting more and more 3rd party developers, especially those that have been well established in the MSFS world.

The only saving grace will be that XP will be available on disk as well, which I understand they said it will.....but for how long? I work away from home in the Gulf of Mexico, and am gone for days, if not WEEKS at a time, with NO INTERNET! if and when the day comes DVD and / or dongle is dropped from the lineup (and I can see that coming), how is someone with no internet connection available supposed to enjoy his software that his computer demands to be connected to steam on?

I remember a few years back, Austin gloating how MS listed their MSFS under the "games" section on their own website. How different is this now for X-Plane?

Chris

More likely Steam will be the thing that sustains third party developer interest. The customer count at the moment is critically low.

More likely Steam will be the thing that sustains third party developer interest. The customer count at the moment is critically low.

One can definitely hope. It's just like me to throw time and money into a hobby that totters along the brink of disaster. I'm off to go throw more time into some lego-brick airports, as that seems to be the other large user complaint, empty default airports.

"We announced that yesterday (10th July 2014) , and it will be on the STEAM store Monday 14th July 2014.  This will be X-Plane 10.25 (the latest non-beta version) and of course all subsequent (non-beta) updates, so 10.30 will be on steam as soon as it is out of beta, and then every version after that as well."

http://xplanereviews.com/index.php?/topic/201-interview-austin-meyer-the-man-behind-x-plane/

Looks like the very fine control you had on which parts of the world you'd want to install is gone. You install scenery by continents. Such as the entire Europe continent, instead of Norway and Sweden only which would be most interesting in my case.

Most likely to "keep it simple" for the Steam Users.

Holy Bejesus, have you seen the Forum/Discussion posts on Steam in the last 2 hours? I haven't seen this many A$$Hats at one time before in my life!

- CK.

Latest Review:

"lolloll ok so i got it but what do i do it sucks no way to click tings off the window and cant access what does this do it sux!!" - Rating 0/5, Hours Played: 0.01

I think there will be a lot of people that buy it and complain about it, mainly because they don't understand exactly what X-Plane is. And yes the FSX trolls will be doing their level best to upset the apple cart because they are trying to hold onto an ancient piece of software that even with Dovetail is not going in the right direction. However, from those people that do buy X-Plane from Steam, there will be a percentage that will get hooked on what it has to offer, people that may have never considered a sim before but really like what they are getting. The hope is that it is a good percentage and that it does significantly increase the X-Plane user base.

no WASD stuff yet but the FSX Fanboyz from the Hood are there trolling how bad/ugly and expensive XP10 is  :lol:  :D  :rolleyes:

Will be returned on when unoptimized fsx comes.

i think just x-plane needs some time on that service.

bad part is aerosoft can only distribute addons there but with those numbers no i doubt it will be high sale loss.

http://steamcharts.com/app/292180

Since dovetail will not publish other products unless they get paid i doubt it will go better for them.

Edited by joandreas