Pay for freeware??

cptcaptain

If something provides you value. Support it.

Which value? A google map with user submitted airports? Some of the links are not even up to date, so why pay for? 

I just think its not ok to take money for something, what someone else provides as freeware. 

I rarely join a conversation on the forums, but I have to agree with Ben on this.  Someone is putting in a significant effort to provide a service to the community.  I use that service frequently when flying in regions of the world that are not my usual areas.  They do the research for me.

@cptcaptain - You seem to contradict yourself.  You first say that this is "One of the best sites to search for scenery..." and then you later say "Which value?"  It seems to me that you have proven that you have value for their service by the mere fact that you complain that it is no longer free. 

In my case the choices seem clear - use it, or do not use it. 

Edited by Tsetsoh
  • Upvote 1

Thanks for mentioning my map.

However, I agree that it's up to the person who offers a service to decide if it's free or not. I can tell you that even keeping a map up to date takes quite a lot of time. Because you not only have to add links, but also find, download, test and rate sceneries (at least that's what I do). So, if xpscenery.net ask for a small fee, it's totally okay.

It WAS one of the best sites. It was a good website till the point they want money for links to freeware. I simply think thats not ok. And they just link to the scenery. They not even host it. So the server costs can not be very high.

They are not attempting to collect money for the scenery that you see listed, nor do they claim to.  They do the research (a service) then provide the results of that research to you in the form of an easy-to-use website.  You seem to discount that effort that they make, and would rather feel entitled to their resulting products.  The market dynamics are simple.  If you like what they offer, and you feel that it is worth the remuneration that they request, then you pay for the service. 

If you do not feel that you get that much value in exchange you should decline to use it.