Questions and issues concerning the SAAB

KissTimone

First of all, for all thoose who haven't yet bought the SAAB, i highly recomend it. The 3d model is very nice indeed and compaired to the details the frameloss is dueable indeed. Bottomline is that SAAB for me is the best payware currently available for X-plane.

The feeling when manualy flying the plane is lovely. You have the distinct big-plane feeling but the stearing is responsive and its a joy landing it manually. The lack of FMS have bothered many in the forums, but i'ts a joy navigating becon to becon and the buildt in A/P is working like a charm. The detailed displays makes it possible to read out the figures on the dials from far perspectives. The lighting is beutiful done.

Few things bothering the current modell but I hope that an updated version soon should solve some problems. I experience the following and maybe someone already have solutions to my issues:

1) Stupidly of me when approaching 27 in EHAM,I dropped flaps to early, about 176 ISA, I could see the Xplane
default announciator that flap overspeed and feelt that the plane dragged towards the right. It would be
so neat if I also had an announciator telling me "FLAPS" since there is one in case of mechanical problem with
flaps?

2) Am I doing something wrong? Every time expect maybe once or twice STBY PITOT announciator has been litten
when Im staring the plane from cold (or auto-start), 
Exactly what does it mean? Since I get a annouciator (ICE PROTC) it means a light is lit on the ICE Panel... 
and STBY PITOT is litten, and according to manual means that electric heating of the PITOT (L/R/STBY) is out
of function. How come the announciators goes away if I touch the switch STBY PITOT to ON from OFF?
I must missunderstand something here??

3) The logic of fuel-temperature gage is faulty or sensor is permanent broken. 
At startup the fueltemp equals the OAT. As I climb and the OAT goes down, so does the gauge until it reaches 6 degree and after that the fuel never gets colder or warmer again. I also experience that the temp of the batteries are somehow static but can't confirm that just yet.

4) If I pause the simulator and look at a replay, for instances my takeoff, and then exit replay, and unpause to contiou
flying, the generators goes off line and i have to reset the generators to restore power.
After returning to power from emergency power, the total fuel used gage is reseted.

5) The wind-direction/speed doesnt indicate anything when the groundspeed is low. Is this the case in SAAB or an issue?

6) So far the oxygen gauge haven't moved. Is it static or simulated?

7) If flying the radar-version of the SAAB, does the radar effect lift/drag to the flightmodell? Does anyone know the manufactures top-cealing limit of the millitary version?

1) Stupidly of me when approaching 27 in EHAM,I dropped flaps to early, about 176 ISA, I could see the Xplane

default announciator that flap overspeed and feelt that the plane dragged towards the right. It would be

so neat if I also had an announciator telling me "FLAPS" since there is one in case of mechanical problem with

flaps?

The "FLAPS" annunciator on the central warning panel is there to indicate if there is a malfunction in the flap electrical control system. We are simulating the aircraft as accurately as possible so we will not be adding an annunciator to tell you that you have deployed the flaps too early as the GPWS system already does this.

2) Am I doing something wrong? Every time expect maybe once or twice STBY PITOT announciator has been litten

when Im staring the plane from cold (or auto-start), 

Exactly what does it mean? Since I get a annouciator (ICE PROTC) it means a light is lit on the ICE Panel... 

and STBY PITOT is litten, and according to manual means that electric heating of the PITOT (L/R/STBY) is out

of function. How come the announciators goes away if I touch the switch STBY PITOT to ON from OFF?

I must missunderstand something here??

The STBY PITOT annunciator will come on to indicate that there is no power (for heating) to the standby pitot tube. So, if the switch is in the OFF position you will have no power to the pitot tube and therefore the annunciator will light up.

3) The logic of fuel-temperature gage is faulty or sensor is permanent broken. 

At startup the fueltemp equals the OAT. As I climb and the OAT goes down, so does the gauge until it reaches 6 degree and after that the fuel never gets colder or warmer again. I also experience that the temp of the batteries are somehow static but can't confirm that just yet.

There is a friction factor in determining fuel temperature.  Therefore the fuel temp ail not match the air temp as you ascend because as airspeed increases the friction factor increases.

The battery temp will be rather steady unless you do a battery start which should increase battery temperature significantly. 

4) If I pause the simulator and look at a replay, for instances my takeoff, and then exit replay, and unpause to contiou

flying, the generators goes off line and i have to reset the generators to restore power.

After returning to power from emergency power, the total fuel used gage is reseted.

I have not seen this behavior but will look into it.  

5) The wind-direction/speed doesnt indicate anything when the groundspeed is low. Is this the case in SAAB or an issue?

The wind vector is inoperative on the ground.

6) So far the oxygen gauge haven't moved. Is it static or simulated?

This is not simulated.

7) If flying the radar-version of the SAAB, does the radar effect lift/drag to the flightmodell? Does anyone know the manufactures top-cealing limit of the millitary version?

I believe there is a difference in the flight model of the military version.  I will have Goran confirm this.

Thanks for your feedback and questions.  I am glad you're enjoying the aircraft.

Edited by JGregory

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the info.

With all due respect.... concerning the temp of fuel... as I wrote, after temperature hits +06 it will not EVER change no matter the time. It will not increease or decrease after this. With regards to any kind of friction this can not be the case.

Could it be some kind of issue that i am the only one having?

Thanks for the info.

With all due respect.... concerning the temp of fuel... as I wrote, after temperature hits +06 it will not EVER change no matter the time. It will not increease or decrease after this. With regards to any kind of friction this can not be the case.

Could it be some kind of issue that i am the only one having?

I'm not sure if this is an issue or not.  Please clarify your statements… You said that the fuel temp gets to +06 and NEVER changes, correct ?  Are you sure?  The temp doesn't even change after you descend and land ? 

• 5 weeks later...

I bought the Saab 340A for X-Plane 10 a while back. However, I am having severe difficulties trying to get the aircraft to climb. I followed every procedure in the Auto Start manual, but when I takeoff, the aircraft refuses to climb above 500 feet, even at max power with the flaps partially retracted. If I retract them all the way, the plane loses altitude, then stalls if I try to pull up. Please help!

I bought the Saab 340A for X-Plane 10 a while back. However, I am having severe difficulties trying to get the aircraft to climb. I followed every procedure in the Auto Start manual, but when I takeoff, the aircraft refuses to climb above 500 feet, even at max power with the flaps partially retracted. If I retract them all the way, the plane loses altitude, then stalls if I try to pull up. Please help!

I presume you are setting your condition levers way too far forward and overshooting the MAX position which is not at the end of the travel leading into no enough torque for take off and climb

Once you perform your engine start up procedure, be sure you advance your conditions levers just to the MAX position, do not move them to the end of its travel which is T/M. Put the camera view pointing to your levers, advance them till you see like a visual clic at the MAX position. Do not keep pushing forward at that point.

you will have plenty and smooth power to climb and cruise, this is a magnificent aircraft to fly :D

Edited by mmerelles
  • Upvote 1

BTW does somebody fly the pax/cargo version on high speed cruise settings? I was not able to meet the speeds even if I fried the engines. I wonder if somebody else also have this issue. However the long range settings works for me perfectly.

BTW does somebody fly the pax/cargo version on high speed cruise settings? I was not able to meet the speeds even if I fried the engines. I wonder if somebody else also have this issue. However the long range settings works for me perfectly.

Have you considered this plane indicate KIAS not IAS on the airspeed indicador?

By the charts of max cruise (performance charts pdf page 77), ecs on, eng a/i off, at FL160 and 22 000 lbs should give 218 knots indicated airspeed. I've never been able to get more than 190 from it.

Edit: flaps and gears were both up.

Edited by eMko

I presume you are setting your condition levers way too far forward and overshooting the MAX position which is not at the end of the travel leading into no enough torque for take off and climb

Once you perform your engine start up procedure, be sure you advance your conditions levers just to the MAX position, do not move them to the end of its travel which is T/M. Put the camera view pointing to your levers, advance them till you see like a visual clic at the MAX position. Do not keep pushing forward at that point.

you will have plenty and smooth power to climb and cruise, this is a magnificent aircraft to fly :D

I did exactly what you said and it worked beautifully! No wonder the plane wouldn't climb! :)