X-Plane 10.30 Beta 1 -- SOON

puffy

Austin emailed the x-plane news mailing list and stated that X-Plane 10.30 Beta 1 will be released for public beta very soon.  He said that this release "[...] will all be “making it work just perfectly” type features to really dial X-Plane in to the point that it is doing the job it needs to do, free of bugs or other quirkiness that make complex programs difficult to use."

He did add that " the feature-list is simply extraordinarily huge"

Get your updater ready.

Edited by puffy
  • Upvote 2

How does one get a hold of Ben? I've been flying a float plane around AK today and there are HUNDREDS of lakes missing. I'm a cartographer for a mapping company and nation wide high quality water area datasets. Since XP scenery developments absolutely blow when it comes to adding/editing water I'd like to see if it would be possible to get data to him so XP could have these lakes. The part that really sucks is that these airports are listed in the sim as seaplane bases, but there's no stinking water!! They show in OSM so I don't know what method is used to farm the data, but something needs to be done.

How does one get a hold of Ben? I've been flying a float plane around AK today and there are HUNDREDS of lakes missing. I'm a cartographer for a mapping company and nation wide high quality water area datasets. Since XP scenery developments absolutely blow when it comes to adding/editing water I'd like to see if it would be possible to get data to him so XP could have these lakes. The part that really sucks is that these airports are listed in the sim as seaplane bases, but there's no stinking water!! They show in OSM so I don't know what method is used to farm the data, but something needs to be done.

X-Plane's scenery is not automatically updated when changes are made to OSM.  Laminar has to grab those changes, update the scenery (not simple), and then recut the DSFs.  This has not been done since XP10 was initially released. Ben is fully aware that OSM has changed and has stated that they will be updating the scenery in the future (no set date). They have many changes/bug fixes/etc. to deal with. Patience is a virtue.

You can read more about this at Ben's blog here

We've been waiting for well over 2 years for these promises to come to fruition. I regularly farm data from OSM and it is NOT a complicated process. I do state wide datasets at a time and it only takes a few hours, if that, to harvest this data. If whom ever is in charge of doing the OSM updates can't do it because they're dealing with bugs then Laminar needs to hire additional help, or give the user the ability to update their own sim. I'm sick and tired of excuses. Just give us what was promised. A realistic sim. Seaplane bases with no lakes to be found certainly are not realistic.

Please show me specifically what they "promised" you and the dates they "promised".  There is more to this than simply "getting" the data from OSM.  But, I'm sure Laminar will be pleased that you feel you know better as to how to run their business and spend their money on hiring.  They have chosen a method for updating the OSM data that is not going to change in the near future, so user changes to scenery like you're looking for aren't going to happen.  Realism is subjective, many people disagree with your assessment. Nobody is arguing that the scenery doesn't need to be updated.  Laminar is aware of this.  Feel free to vent your anger and tell us about your supposed "experience" in this area, but it is not going to change the way they do business.  It's their business to run as they see fit, not yours.

All they keep saying is soon. I'm not trying to start an internet war with you at all. You brought yourself into my question. I simply asked how to get a hold of Ben, which I did. I was just stating my frustrations with their update process. They have posted many many times that the OSM updates were coming and they keep postponing them. As for my supposed "experience", I have a degree in GIS with over 10 years surveying experience. I have been a cartographer for the last 8 years using ARCGIS and AutoCAD. Not sure why you would question my experience in GIS data, but there it is. Seeing as I got the answer from Ben I was looking for my part in this thread is done. Thank you.

• Upvote 2

All they keep saying is soon. I'm not trying to start an internet war with you at all. You brought yourself into my question. I simply asked how to get a hold of Ben, which I did. I was just stating my frustrations with their update process. They have posted many many times that the OSM updates were coming and they keep postponing them. As for my supposed "experience", I have a degree in GIS with over 10 years surveying experience. I have been a cartographer for the last 8 years using ARCGIS and AutoCAD. Not sure why you would question my experience in GIS data, but there it is. Seeing as I got the answer from Ben I was looking for my part in this thread is done. Thank you.

You know that soon is a relative measure. Say for example I was working on a project for 6 years. At the beginning of the 5th year, you ask me how long until it's released. I'd say soon. Seeing as how I've just completed 5 years of work, 1 more year would be relatively short in comparison to the amount of time that I previously spent devoting my time to finishing the project. They need to make sure that everything is at least functional before they release it or people wild complain that there are bugs. 

Guys, I can only - again - point you to my HD mesh Scenery V2 project, which - at least for Europe and North America - already has much newer OSM data (approximately end of September 2013) included:

The HD Mesh Scenery v2 is generated with the same technology as the default Global Scenery (effectively, I am the guy who is doing most of the data juggling anyways on behalf of Laminar ...), but it has a lot of things already update compared to the Global Scenery, and also has a much denser triangle mesh.

With Laminar Mesh recuts its not just the computation time (well, at the moment for a project like my HD Mesh Scenery v2, which doesn't covers the entire planet ... but at higher res ... it takes maybe about a month from fetching fresh OSM data, preparing everything and generating the files ... plus testing etc. takes a bit extra). But Laminar also needs to take care of the re-distribution of such files etc. ... well, and all this, while they have hundreds of other things to do (where an equal number of customers is nagging their ears).

Thats where HD mesh Scenery v2 fills the gap and gives you even some more eye candy ... for free ...

Edited by alpilotx
  • Upvote 1

Guys, I can only - again - point you to my HD mesh Scenery V2 project, which - at least for Europe and North America - already has much newer OSM data (approximately end of September 2013) included:

The HD Mesh Scenery v2 is generated with the same technology as the default Global Scenery (effectively, I am the guy who is doing most of the data juggling anyways on behalf of Laminar ...), but it has a lot of things already update compared to the Global Scenery, and also has a much denser triangle mesh.

With Laminar Mesh recuts its not just the computation time (well, at the moment for a project like my HD Mesh Scenery v2, which doesn't covers the entire planet ... but at higher res ... it takes maybe about a month from fetching fresh OSM data, preparing everything and generating the files ... plus testing etc. takes a bit extra). But Laminar also needs to take care of the re-distribution of such files etc. ... well, and all this, while they have hundreds of other things to do (where an equal number of customers is nagging their ears).

Thats where HD mesh Scenery v2 fills the gap and gives you even some more eye candy ... for free ...

So true! HD mesh v2 is an essential addon for me, most definitely!

I did a lot of flying in Scandinavia, mostly Norway, lately, and it just looks breathtakingly beautiful in these mountainous regions. The alps are simply fantastic as well.

You may want to have a look at this comparison (HD mesh V2 & OSM Europe + autogen vs. satellite image):

Thanks a ton for your effort and work, alpilotx!

• 3 weeks later...

Give that man a direct line to X-Plane

Upgraded both my installation on my dual-boot hackintosh system, different download sizes (little bit more than 400Mb for windows and little bit more than 600Mb for OSX) starting from a clean 10.25... after I've deleted preferences folder in order to start with a 'clean' installation (no plugins installed as I was waiting for this release) I'm noticing that after the first start FPS on OSX are about 34/35 and on windows are at 19.

Of course this is the very first launch so lot of tests are to be done!  ;)