Can't taxi with one engine

CaptRolo

Saab340A --I was landing ILS and left engine failed, autocoursen worked ,i shut off left engine and landed.On rollout to a right  turnoff I find I cant turn to right.

Stopped on runway used full power and still only going in circles to left.

Rebooted Xplane went through start process both engines running ,then shut down left engine ,could not taxi except in a circle.

On research I find lots of turboprop pilots taxi with one engine feathered

(to save fuel and on left side to get faster shutdown for uloading pax and baggage.)

I have latest version

Edited by CaptRolo

• 1 year later...

We have to determine if this is common practise with pilots and what the behavior is, based on pilot feedback.  

I, personally, have never heard of pilots feathering 1 prop and taxiing on 1 engine in a 2 engine aircraft.  I know on some 4 engine aircraft, they shut down 2 of the engines (1 on each side, and proceed to taxi).

I know that Q400s, ATRs and Saab 340s can, and sometimes do, feather one engine during taxi phases. 

It usually saves few minutes of fuel per leg, which is irrelevant per plane, but if you multiply it by number of all planes in the fleet per year, it can save you quite a bit of money from the airline perspective. 

I wouldn't say it's really that common though, especially that such procedure is heavily restricted by weather, runaway contamination and so on.

Edited by Morrigan

I have heard of different airlines using single engine taxi procedures, both before takeoff and after landing.  From what I can recall, Jazz uses it on the Q300/Q400 series, and Porter on the Q400.  I would imagine Encore would use it as well.  It makes a difference at large airports, especially with lengthy taxi durations, delays, etc.

I've also heard of more than a few companies that use the procedure on jets, for the same reasons.

in Argentina they do taxi back to gate single engine configuration. My brother in law is a 340 captain. Being myself many times on the cockpit.

Most airlines worldwide use dual engine taxi configuration procedure, BUT you may loose an engine inflight and the saab is perfectly capable to land and taxi back to the platform on a single engine configuration. Which is not the case on the sim. Hopefully this is not that hard to get fixed.

no speculating here. there you go:

Edited by mmerelles