Engine sound loop bug?

StormyPilot

Hello,

thanks for a great aircraft that is a pleasure to fly. There is one thing that is starting to irk me though, every few seconds at a measureable interval there is a slight "static thudd" sort of sound in the engine sound loop. The best way to describe it would be to liken it with the electric discharge sound you might get through your speakers as you are plugging in your soundcable into a soundsystem and the plug gets a static discharge as it just touches the outside of the input.

- Windows7 64-bit

- Soundblaster Audigy soundcard

- Heard both via soundsystem and headphones

- Only aircraft of dozens of freeware and payware that has this

- More noticeable at higher speeds with greater to full throttle.

I hope you have a solution to this as it is starting to take away from the enjoyment of flying this otherwise great jet.

Regards, StormyPilot.

mmm.. could you please send me or publish a video (or sound) recorded from your computer how is that sound? because it is the first time someone tells me that about sound. Maybe there are more with same issue, but never heart about that.

Could be from the Javelin, but 99% of cases I have heart of something odd on only one computer is not from the Javelin.

Anyway.. send me that if you can. thanks

Thank you for the quick reply Japo.  :D

After your response I re-installed the newest sound drivers for my Soundblaster Audigy SE card just to make sure it wasn't on account of faulty drivers, as it doesn't seem to be a widespread problem. It still appears though, so I've recorded the jet engines with the "popping" sound with it and I've attached a copy.

The popping sound is first heard at about 10 seconds. (lifted a speaker up to the recording device)

StormyPilot

ATG_Javelin_engine_popping_sound.zip

ok.. I have heart the sound you sent.. and the only think I notice is a liiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiitle "click" sound.. but I have to say some things:

First of all I don't recognice the sound to be the Javelin one. Well.. I could say that is more lower than the one I have and with more sound FX that the Javelin has.

Because of that I would tell you go to the sounds\engine folder and reproduce all the sounds you have there and try to identify with the one you sent me. Even also try to see if the same loop bug comes on the sounds on that folder. Reproduce them with looping (I did it while I was editing to see any glitches or bad sounds).

Also see other Sounds on the rest of sound folders....

Well I don't know if the problem with you is on that little (very very very little) "click" that plays maybe 4 times. If so please identify me the sound where it comes from, because I don't know where it comes on the Javelin. If it is something more, then the problem is on your soundcard.

Don't you have an integrated one to reproduce through it? and see if same problem happens?.

If you have the posibility of playing the aircraft on other operating system, please do it. Or other computer. That way we will know if it is your problem or Javelin one.

Maybe you have a higher response ear.. who knows? For example I have chromatoxic, a little problem with red and blue colours, who knows if also I have it with sounds!  :D

anyway.. the best method to solve problems is testings on other systems. try it. I have solved a bunch on problems with that method.

best,

There is a lot of base in the sound, due to the sound system I imagine hence it sounding deeper than you may be used to possibly, but it is indeed the Javelin one. The click may not have come across to strongly in the recording but let me assure you that it is very noticeable on this end (far from being a slight click) particularly when using a headset. It continues on every few seconds for however long as I fly, so you can imagine how frustrating it can become if you fly for say 20 minutes+.

But you know how it is, if you get fixated on something then that's all you hear, causing it to stick out like a soar thumb for me lol.

That aside, very good points, I'll run through the sound files when I get a chance and see if I can't isolate the one that produces the clicking sound. Unfortunatly I only have this one computer I can try it on, but that would be a really great way to go to try it on an entirely different platform. I'll have to see if there isn't an onboard sound card I can patch through for trial purposes instead and see if that makes a difference.

Hope we can find a solution to this, as the engine sounds and everything is really are great that aside. A purchase I would definately recommend. :D

But I'll tinker about a bit in the coming days when I get time and tell you my findings, thanks again.

Listening to the filed proved inconclusive so I did a more complete analysis by temporarily removing soundfiles until I found the cultrip. The soundfile causing the popping sound is the weather ATGJavelin wind.wav file. When I removed that and it was replaced by the standard X-Plane wind sounds the popping ceased.

After going back to listen to it on a loop in Windows Media Player the popping sound became very apparent at the very end and/or beginning of the file. I've uploaded the copy I have.

Now I don't know if this is something that only comes through on my system or not, who knows might be in the way the hardware deals with this particular soundfile (frequencies what not) but it is indeed the source.

StormyPilot

ATGJavelin_wind.zip

Nice on Japo, great customer service. Until then I'll simply fly the Javelin with the standard X-Plane wind sounds, which aren't half bad, and with the popping sound dealt with one way (removed) or another (modified sound file) I can fully enjoy this great aircraft without distractions.

Thanks, StormyPilot

• 10 months later...