Can't start on Windows

tonywob

Hi John

I've purchased Maxx FX and it runs without problems on Mac OS X and I really like it (and it will shortly be finding its way into my eye-candy screenshots) ;). However when I try to use it on Windows, X-Plane just hangs when running it. I have to remove it out of the plugins folder to get it X-Plane to start

Unfortunately there is nothing in the log file, and it hangs even before the initial choose airport/plane screen appears. It says "Initialising Plugins" at the bottom of the screen and then just hangs. Task manager isn't showing anything i.e. activity.

My computer and info is below. I hope this helps and sorry I don't have any more information:

- Windows 7 x64 with all latest updates

- XPlane 10.25R2, running in 64 bit.

- I also have Skymaxx Pro, a few Carenado planes, and the Saab 340 installed.

- 8GB of RAM, and 2GB NVidia Optimus card (which is rubbish).

- Graphics card drivers are out of date, and Samsung won't provide newer ones (so perhaps this is the problem).

If you need any more info then please let me know

Tony

Proprietary drivers?  

Just out of curiosity is there any info in your GIZMO Log? 

Without much to go on, and I know this is a bit of work, try installing the demo and start with MAXX FX, if it runs start adding other add-ons....

Starting with a demo install insures a clean install of X-Plane...

It may be a driver issue but as you know without any info its a shot in the dark....

Proprietary drivers?  

Yeah. The computer has both an nvidia and an Intel card, and the Optimus system switches between them for power saving. I wish I'd known this before buying the computer as I can't use Nvidia's drivers to update it, and I also can't disable the Intel card. The nvidia card is more than capable of running the latest games, but since many games require the latest driver's installing, they refuse to start. Samsung are the only ones who can provide driver udpates, and they haven't bothered since the laptop was released. I wish there was something I could do (apart from saving up for a new computer). If I was going to guess that this is the problem, then I'd say it was the Optimus drivers, but I'll let you know what I find.

Other software such as Outerra refuse to start, and it seems to effect OpenGL only.

I'll install the demo and try again this evening on a clean X-Plane install. There is nothing in the gizmo log either, X-Plane doesn't even get that far, so something very odd is going on. 

Thanks for your help

Tony

Yeah I have bought on impulse many a times......My old HP laptop is a good example...LOL 

Back on topic, I can't guarantee anything without information but your issue is noted and Ill snoop around the web a bit tonight....

If you do get some sort of "crash info" please send it to us ASAP...

Hi John

It also doesn't start in the demo with just Maxx-FX installed, however it does work fine on my girlfriend's Windows 7 computer with a much older card.

I'm guessing it's simply my graphics card, as discussed above and it's going to be hard to work out what it is. Hopefully I'll get rid of it soon and get myself a real laptop :)

Thanks for your help

Tony

PS X-Plane also occasionally just hangs for no apparent reason when starting up (even without your addon). It happens approx. 1 in every 10 times.

• 6 months later...

Well, there is some information in the logs - namely that it seems to hang after loading Gizmo, but before MaxxFX is even loaded at all. Unfortunately there's no obvious sign of trouble in the Gizmo log either, so it could be something else in between Gizmo and MaxxFX loading that's to blame.

Let's see what, if anything, Ben Russell can glean from it. He knows better than us what happens when Gizmo starts up and if there's anything unusual in your Gizmo log.