MAXX FX in cockpit view

flydav

Hi John is there any chance that in the future MAXX FX can only affect what's outside the cockpit, leaving the the cockpit textures and lights unaffected?

This is the only thing that stopped me from buying this really promising product :)

Edited by flydav

In its design no it cannot do this.....

With that said and maybe some early adopters can chime in here, you can set MAXX FX to enhance the sim without making the cockpit look out of place....

I should add that MAXX FX isn't a scenery enhancement in its design, it manipulates the "lighting" in X-Plane.....It does so with a few common settings and some effects....

Say I were able to separate the cockpit for the scenery, you would have two different "lighting" effects going on that would look out of place in the overall scene.

I think I see your idea here flydav, but from an artists perspective I think it would look silly.  The best way to change the outside scenery is via a complete texture replacement and some lighting effects in the sky, the lighting effects are already implemented in SkyMAXX Pro & changing the ground textures only gives one subjective perspective on the ground terrain....

Edited by JohnMAXX

I understand your point of view I was really excited when I got the email announcing MAXX FX I wasn't aware of this project and wanted to buy it immediately!

I thought I could used to fix all those weird situations like overcast dark weather but super bright, saturated colors textures of the photoreal, or the opposite beautiful sunny weather but with dull, dark terrain textures but then I realized that the cockpit would be affected by these changes. Maybe it would be useful to make an evaluation version, so people like me interested in a corrective use only, might see how the cockpit becomes, and if a compromise could be made. Just an idea, but I really appreciate your efforts John, you are a huge contributor to X plane, THANKS!

• Upvote 1

Our initial thought when developing MaxxFX was to leave the cockpit untouched, and we did have that up and running at one point. I can confirm what John said - it looked goofy to have different color palettes on the cockpit and the scenery. We were also unable to figure out how to get it working in HDR mode - adjusting the color of the entire scene was the only way to get MaxxFX to work in both the HDR and non-HDR cases.

I understand your trepidation however, as most of the videos and screenshots of MaxxFX out there don't have a cockpit view. Here's what it looks like with the "Extra Normal" preset as an example:

c4_1.png

(I also uploaded a view of a 3D cockpit at http://media.sundog-soft.com/c4_2.png ).

As you can see, it's generally a non-issue. MaxxFX gives you complete control of the colors, and it's certainly possible to set up bad-looking cockpits with the power user settings and some of the more extreme presets. But, for the settings you'd actually want to fly with long-term, it's generally a subtle enough enhancement that the cockpit still looks good too.

Edited by sundog
  • Upvote 1