Flying with Lua

Tom Knudsen

Thanks Tom for pointing out default-turbidity which I have now set to 1.1 (gives me just enough atmospheric haze without the grey out in the distance).

The just released Real Terra Haze 1.2 (atmos and water) has the blues under control at low and high altitudes.  There is even a toggle to reduce the blues even further.

These 2 modifications combined have brought magic to the sky at all phases of flight and at all times of day.

PS:  As an aside, I have also noticed that the problem of overly blue clouds in overcast conditions with SkyMaxx has gone away as well.

Edited by slai
  • Upvote 1

The Terra Haze script has a great function for displaying the settings so I've been making tweaks then disable/enable FlyWithLua plugin to immediately see the effects.  The original script is geared to low level flight and I'm making tweaks for a nice transition to higher altitudes.  Working really well with SkyMaxxPro.  The combined atmospheric scattering effects makes the distant blurries not so bad. 

post-9060-0-43345900-1397265931_thumb.jp

Edited by slai
  • Upvote 1

Attached is a modified set_skys() that you can replace in any version of Real Terra Haze.  The original author is open to published modifications.  It applies a lighter touch that prevents oversaturation at higher altitudes.  Uses simple linear transition from blue cast at high sun angles to yellow and then finally to magenta.

Now need to play with the SkyMaxx settings after these modifications.  Previous picture had reflections off.

post-9060-0-19700200-1397331715_thumb.jp

set_skys.txt

Edited by slai
  • Upvote 2

Tom,

Is this the definitive source to updates to these scripts?

Amended scripts can be downloaded from our site

http://xp-developer.com/index.php?/files/

Like luckyluca I receive an error message upon X-Plane startup with these scripts in place and then shortly thereafter I get the "Lua stopped" error message in the right top corner.  

when running your two scripts together (as downloaded from your website) I get a lua message on the top right part of the screen say lua stopped.

I haven't had the time to debug it, have you encountered a similar behaviour?

This is a screenshot of the error upon launch:

Screen_Shot_2014_04_17_at_8_49_57_PM.jpg

You mentioned to luckyluca to remove a line from the 'light' script file.  Should I be doing this also even though I downloaded the script files from your "amended scripts" link that you provided (above)?  Will there be an updated upload to the xp-developer site that I should download instead?

To fix this issue, remove this line from the light script (located on top)

set( "sim/private/controls/light/random_percent=", 0.10)

Thank you very much.

Puffy

Updated files is now free to download

http://xp-developer.com/index.php?/files/category/9-code/

Whats new!!

• Added code by AUA425(avsim.net) as optional use (fixes the moon glare reported at night)
  • Tried to correct the reported light issue with black lights on rotating beacons.
  • Fixed the "Fly with lua crash" when using the light tweak

I will be happy if someone can try them and report if the issues are continuing or not.

@ John :

I have a little question, sorry if it's off topic but unsure about the necessity of creating a whole new thread : I thought I remember reading SMP clouds were affected by winds ? If it was the case, it isn't anymore or am I doing something wrong ? Thanks!

@ John :

I have a little question, sorry if it's off topic but unsure about the necessity of creating a whole new thread : I thought I remember reading SMP clouds were affected by winds ? If it was the case, it isn't anymore or am I doing something wrong ? Thanks!

Wind is still bound to the cloud layers........if you are manually setting up a wind layer make sure it is within the cloud layer to see them move and morph......

i.e. make sure the wind is at the appropriate altitude.......

Edited by JohnMAXX
  • Upvote 1

Jhon, talking about moving winds and layers...

Can I make a Tornado ? (Its not a joke) at least the visual part (Using dark Clouds). Im trying using SASL(LUA) ..

Carlos

Honestly no, not with the winds in X-Plane anyway.  Wind is simulated in only one direction per layer, and turbulence is a random algorithm.  

To make tornados happen you would need to program a custom solution.  One approach would be to have a custom "tornado" object which appears under certain weather conditions in random....

In order to simulate them realistically you will need  a super computer with the latest weather simulation, even then it still might be difficult.....

The first approach ,with the right programming, could look very convincing....... ;)

Tom,

I just made time to download your new scripts.  I have a question.  Do I install both "raleigh_tweak1.lua" and "raleigh_tweak2.lua" at the same time or do I choose one or the other?

The "readme" file isn't clear about that, to me anyway:

"5. Copy the included file (releigh_tweak1.lua) to /Resource/plugin/FlywithLua/Script6. [Optinal] Copy the included file (releigh_tweak2.lua) to /Resource/plugin/FlywithLua/Script//Fixes the glare at night issue"

Thanks!