Have you guys/gals tried the new Prepar3D 2.1

HarryCYUL

I bought it 2days ago and can't let go :o  :D   It has really improved alot over 1.4 and that other sim from 2006 :lol:   DX11 graphics with 2048/4096 default volumetric clouds, no stuttering autogen, etc. etc.  I'm getting amazing fps on my PC.  I have to confess, I haven't touched XP10 since my P3D purchase :( Will fire it up soon ;)

Yep, I've got it and you're right - it runs great on my computer too.

I know X-Plane is a bit different but it could affect X-Plane if P3Dv2.1 gets great performance. The one BIG downside for P3Dv2.1 is the OOM's (32bit). If P3D ever goes to 64bit, it's going to be THE simulator.

I really like X-Plane and really wish that updates and addons would come along quicker but I do understand that X-Plane is a smaller community.

• Upvote 1

And if for some reason you decide that you do learn anything from X-Plane because of the apparent real flight dynamics, Navs etc etc then guess what - you are entitled to P3D because you are learning!!

Og\h but sorry, you don't learn in X-Plane - it's just a toy/game! That's right!!

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 4

I bought the Prepar 3d 2.1 and I have had continues OOM Errors, I did install Orbx Global and Vectors and it does not even compare to the new X-plane HD scenery.Prepar3d seems blurry and the scenery in my opinion is a little cartoonish. Xplane with all the new options Skymax Pro and the HD Scenery blows it out of the water. They use to say Fsx was as "real as it gets" but x-plane now is the only sim that really is as real "as it "gets and with everyone's help will only get better. When I fly around CYVR and look at the water and the scenery its breath taking. Nuff Said  

• Upvote 1

X-Plane a smaller community than P3D ? How is this possible ? Prepar3D is only for students, developers, professionals, only for Windows, and only for purposes other than personal/consumer entertainment.

Even with all those limitations the market size for P3D is still several thousand times larger than the market for X-P and Linux.

Obvious troll is obvious.

• Upvote 1

It is laughable at best when these threads pop up.  Every time they do, someone reminds the user that P3D has a rock solid EULA that states it is not to be used for entertainment purposes, but then of course they retort with the utmost of wit and intelligence...

X-Plane, has no such limitations, you can use it for whatever you wish, but, obviously you cannot use your copy for commercial purposes.  If you wish to do so, you need a commercial licence, among other things.  Pretty simple, but I can guarantee there are institutions out there that feel the need to go around this licence.

Hi Ben,

Hopefully you don't think I'm the troll - I just lashed out because this thread was not meant to be a 'which sim is better' it's more about how good P3Dv2.1 is running on some of our systems.

It really annoys me when people start going on about the 'student' thing regarding P3D as most of us who fly flight sims are learning in some way or another. LM have basically acknowledged that so therefore if you are learning from the flight sim you are eligible to buy it - simple as that.

I like X-Plane 10 and use it often. I learn in it by how planes fly and react I learn navigation and so on. I also do the exact same in FSX and P3Dv2.1 - I am learning.

And thank you for bringing others to the attention that X-Plane doesn't have an as big a community as P3D - I wish it was though!

Cheers,

Craig     

Edited by cabnz1
  • Upvote 1

Even with all those limitations the market size for P3D is still several thousand times larger than the market for X-P and Linux.

I wasn't talking about Linux (I'm sorry for you if you're always focused on your anti-Linux campaign, but this is out of topic here).

I was talking about the X-Plane market size (all platforms) compared to the Prepar3D market size with a very restrictive EULA. Where are the numbers ?

P3D is strictly for educational and professional purposes, not for entertainment. I don't see how it's competition for X-Plane.

I really have to start to laugh when I see comments like this over and over again. Most people I know (and most of those who I see in the MSFS community) just don't care about the license - the just take P3D as a sequel to FS X. LM also does not care. The minority who does care about EULA, has fled to X-Plane (I am one of them).

Most people I know (and most of those who I see in the MSFS community) just don't care about the license - the just take P3D as a sequel to FS X. LM also does not care.

I think commercial add-on developers will care about the license. Their ROI will depend on customers complying to the EULA of their products.

Edited by MdMax

I wasn't talking about Linux (I'm sorry for you if you're always focused on your anti-Linux campaign, but this is out of topic here).

I was talking about the X-Plane market size (all platforms) compared to the Prepar3D market size with a very restrictive EULA. Where are the numbers ?

Let me make it clearer;

OBVIOUS TROLL IS OBVIOUS.

Ironic that you care about numbers now when the Linux crowd repeatedly denies any relevance of numbers when applied to them...  :rolleyes:

If you follow AVSIM its fairly obvious that no one customers actually care about the EULA, all the way to the point of people giving instruction on how to remove the EDU watermarking.

Side note: I love Linux, but that doesn't mean I'm silly enough to try and make a market out of selling to a very niche gaming market that uses it. Would I recommend it to a client as a reliable OS? Absolutely. It just depends what your target use is...

OBVIOUS TROLL IS OBVIOUS.

If you follow AVSIM its fairly obvious that no one customers actually care about the EULA, all the way to the point of people giving instruction on how to remove the EDU watermarking.

So, as a commercial developer, do you think Prepar3D is an interesting market for your business ? Do you also think "If P3D ever goes to 64bit, it's going to be THE simulator" ?

I think commercial add-on developers will care about the license. Their ROI will depend on customers complying to the EULA of their products.

Yes, but since both PMDG and Carenado develops (or committed to develop) addons for P3D, a lot of people will stay with P3D. PMDG published some of their correspondence with LM and it looks that LM don't care and won't care.

Not very safe option if you are a company which gives a work to (and pays) your own developers and surely want your investment to return, but they still considered this option to be safe enough (even if even PMDG announced some development fo X-Plane *).

* I hope it will be their Jetstream 41 :) But AFAIK they did not announce what it should be yet.

It really annoys me when people start going on about the 'student' thing regarding P3D as most of us who fly flight sims are learning in some way or another. LM have basically acknowledged that so therefore if you are learning from the flight sim you are eligible to buy it - simple as that.

What? The P3D academic license clearly states it is only for use in K-12 and college settings. Source: http://www.prepar3d.com/product-overview/prepar3d-license-comparison/

Where has Lockheed Martin said otherwise? 

So, as a commercial developer, do you think Prepar3D is an interesting market for your business ? Do you also think "If P3D ever goes to 64bit, it's going to be THE simulator" ?

No. The amount of work invested in Gizmo is not worth repeating for something like the flight sim market.

"THE" simulator is entirely subjective and based purely on individual user passion. Something which cannot be defined or rationalised by any set of features.

• Upvote 1