Plane start moving while engines in Beta and throttles in Groud Idle

wizemanold

Hi!

Is it normal that plane start moving after parking brake release while engines throttle position in "Groud Idle" and engines are in "Beta"?

Because of this, during the taxing I need to apply brakes all the way and let throttle stay in "Ground Idle". At the same time the plane is not empty and carry some payload and fuel.

Yes, it is normal. Set condition lever to max and reduce throttle/use brakes during taxi if necessary. No problem here.

Flo

Hi FloB.

The condition lever position doesn't achieve anything regardless of where it is in the Min/Max range on the ground.

The propellers are maintained at a minimum rpm of 1040 by the bottom governor and will only increase above that speed when the power levers are moved either forward or aft to a point where such a load is applied that the bottom governor senses that it may not be able to maintain the minimum rpm and blade load and directs* more fuel to the engine which results in an increase in both Ng and prop rpm.

When taxying after initial movement the aircraft will tend to continue to accelerate unless you inhibit its progress by retarding the power levers to control forward speed. On down slope taxiways you will also need to use the brakes to maintain a constant taxi speed.

(*how this is done is an enormous topic in itself)

My 2 cents worth.

Cheers.

I just wanted to make sure that the OP actually sets his CL within the min/max range and I for myself set them to max when taxiing for TO (since that is required for TO anyway).
But you're absolutely right in pointing out the exact meaning of the throttle-lever and CL settings. Thanks.

Flo

I have made some adjustments regarding this, which will be in the next update..

Thanks a lot! :)

I just wanted to make sure that the OP actually sets his CL within the min/max range and I for myself set them to max when taxiing for TO (since that is required for TO anyway).

But you're absolutely right in pointing out the exact meaning of the throttle-lever and CL settings. Thanks.

Flo

Yes, my CL always in the MAX position prior taxing.

Guys, not a big deal but curious. I have run on some videos where Saab taxi back in Beta mode. I am not able to do it in simulator. Is it set like that on purpose or maybe Version A was not capable of doing it?

Cheers, AJ  ;)

Hi AJ

The props should be indicating that they are in Beta mode when on the ground with the power levers below Flt Idle position and the prop blade angles are below ~+8 deg.

I am still waiting to get my issue of the software and I may be able to better answer some of questions if and when it arrives :(

Cheers