Why does the prop rpm knob move by itself?

coralsaw

On the Corvalis. I pull it back and it moves to its original position. I think I've RTFM but I couldn't figure out why this happens, if it's an automated system or not. Any ideas?

Thanks

I' m unable to check fo sho as I'm not at the computer, but my guess is the prop knob is manipulating the prop pitch directly rather than prop rpm request. While the engine is running on the taxiway, pull mixture full lean and watch the prop knob sink into the panel. This looks

like the prop going to beta in an effort to maintain rpm as engine power bleeds off.

Use f3 and f4 to change prop rpm for now. I use a

joystick axis. 

Thanks for the answer Zach, not sure if this is the case though. Seems I can't repeat the tutorial even, for instance, when I try:

As you level off at 13,000 feet, first adjust the throttle to maintain about 30.5 in Hg of

manifold pressure and then adjust the prop to maintain approximately 2450 RPM.  

can't get the prop to move from 2600 RPM, it always pulls back. In fact, the prop lever always tries to compensate mixture changes, so that RPM is max at 2600. Can't change that. Isn't the same happening with your aircraft?

JG, any thoughts?

Ok think of it like this:

when you pull the prop handle, your asking the prop "please maintain the rpm I have chosen for you". At a given throttle setting, the blades will automatically change pitch to maintain that rpm. Now imagine if you had a special gauge that showed you the props blade pitch. When you cut throttle, you will see the blade pitch start to flatten out. The prop is trying to maintain your selected rpm by reducing aerodynamic resistance on the blades. Increase the throttle and you will see the blades increase pitch. They do this because engine is trying to spin the prop faster. The prop is digging in.

Now imagine if you could hand turn the needle on the pitch gauge and affect the props pitch. Once you took your hand off the needle, the prop would say "excuse me, this pitch doesen't allow me to maintain my assigned rpm. I will now adjust pitch to maintain my assigned rpm" You will then see the needle deflect as the prop pitch changes.

Instead of a fictitious gauge that let's you manipulate the blade pitch against the props will, you have a blue handle that let's you manipulate the blade pitch against the props will.

What the plane really needs is a blue handle that tells the prop "please maintain this rpm".

You might call it a prop handle...

Good gawd! My friends have told me I have the worst analogies. I'm starting to believe them.

Zach

What the plane really needs is a blue handle that tells the prop "please maintain this rpm".

That's exactly what the handle is supposed to be, 'a prop handle'. :D

I still can't understand what the function of the handle is, it just reverts to 2600 RPM no matter what.. Sorry, perhaps I'm a bit thick.. :)  I'll start a support thread if JG doesn't comment, for once, I can't follow the tutorial even (although the plane flies well, otherwise).

That's exactly what the handle is supposed to be, 'a prop handle'. :D

I still can't understand what the function of the handle is, it just reverts to 2600 RPM no matter what.. Sorry, perhaps I'm a bit thick.. :)  I'll start a support thread if JG doesn't comment, for once, I can't follow the tutorial even (although the plane flies well, otherwise).

Until the issue is resolved, use keys F3 and F4 to adjust prop rpm. Ignore the blue prop handle as it is not doing what it should be. I am able to adjust rpm in this way with no problem.

Zach

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hello Jim,

Is the fix out? I searched for an email but couldn't find one.

Thanks

coralsaw,

The fix has not been released yet, sorry.  I had a hard drive crash and also decided to buy a new computer so things are a little behind.

I will let you know as soon as the update is available.

Jim