Possible REX bug report

Lukasz

REX is great for sure ;) Clouds are even better, than the ones I have outside of my window :( However I've found a strange behaviour of the program.

I've planned a flight from NZKT to NZAA. At first I've loaded weather for NZAA, to see what to expect on arrival, and all informations loaded without problem.

Then I I've tried to load weather for NZKT, where my aircraft is located, to have current weather for that area. Unfortunately, a strange message appeared, instead of a loaded metar. At the time my Internet connection was working - I've opened several websites without problems (and I'm sure, they weren't just archived offline files, as I had disabled offline browsing and storing sites on my computer).

Also, REX failed to find and load a list of nearby weather stations, I could take metars from.

The window could not be closed, even after I've tried another ICAO code. In this example it's NZAA again, but I've tried other aiports also, with the same outcome.

So to sum up my observations:

1) REX failed to load a metar for NZKT.

I've found one here: http://www.avmet.co.nz/352JSH3R/2 Looks like a current one, just I don't know, if it is linked to X-Plane/REX database.

2) REX failed to load a list of nearby weather stations, that I could use if NZKT was not available.

3) The empty "Possible alternate stations" window could not be closed, the only solution was to restart the whole REX application.

Apart from that, I have also one small request :) Please look at the first screenshot, on the wind data under "Upper level winds" diagram. I find wind presentation 9/23KTS, 14/33KTS etc. confusing, as it looks like it means 9 knots gusting to 23. It should read 009/23KTS, 014/33KTS - wind direction should be always written in three digits, just like metars do.

post-1467-131369578758_thumb.jpg

post-1467-131369578772_thumb.jpg

post-1467-13136957878_thumb.jpg

post-1467-131369578792_thumb.jpg

Hi, everybody!

At me the message shown on second screenshot appears always :D. REX can't incorporate to weather server ???.

In the configuration manager did you change the IP Adddress?

Are you using REX on a machine with an internet connection?  If so do you have it setup in your firewall?

In the configuration manager did you change the IP Adddress?

Are you using REX on a machine with an internet connection?  If so do you have it setup in your firewall?

Yes, did not start up a firewall. I have already understood, but all the same thanks!

We have identified the issue and it we will have a fix for it first thing during Monday.  It appears to be isolated around a few airports that may not have weather reports close by - for example NZKT.

Hello and thanks for looking into the issue. But It still does not work very well.

I had my aircraft positioned at 01MT from the last X-Plane session. So I run REXPlane and enter 01MT to get the current weather: I get the empty "Possible alternative stations" screen and the "REX ... requires an internet connection ..." error message. I tried about 20 other airports/airfields in this area. Only with CYXC I finally get some weather data. But the "Alternatives" screen still remains in front and blocks the app. Looks like an issue with the front end/GUI?

There are lots of small airfields like 01MT in North America that probably do not have own metar data and therefore I would not call them "isolated issues". Getting close alternative weather reports is mportant there.

Looking forward to an update :-)

Jens

post-26-131369578882_thumb.png

Thanks, I really appreciate your help :) Everything works fine and wind presentation is perfect.

At the same time I've made two observations, how to make REX even better:

1) Could you change the list of nearest airports to show distance and bearing between original airport (that there is no metar for) and the nearest airports with metars, instead of Lat and Long coordinates? It would be more intuitive, as pilots could select airport either closest to their take-off location, or the one that is closest to the planned route.

For example:

NZLE-NZTK (57nm trip, track 001 to NZTK)

NZLE doesn't have a metar, so REX proposed me with the following airports:

NZCH 104nm from NZLE, track 185

NZWN 96nm, 075

NZAA 301nm, 019

I think I'll go for NZWN, as it is both close to my flightpath and more or less in correct direction. I've made this analysis with Goodway, but not everyone has it, it took me a bit of time and even for so short distances with relatively small amount of airports around, it was a little difficult to nail the longest distance to NZAA.

However it's OK, if you can't change that for some reason, as I'm aware, that probably I tend to go overboard with my pre-flight planning :D

2) Would it be possible for Weather Avoidance System to remember map settings, like type of map, zoom and location, between different modes? Currently if I want to check all the hazards for a given area or flightpath, I have to reset view after each change of WAS mode.