Autopilot Not Working

Fab10

Hi,

Great aircraft, thank you.

However, I cannot get the autopilot to engage and take commands. I can switch it on (and YD), and by default the VS and HDG modes are selected (yellow dots visible with digits turned up), and the AP symbol turns green within the PFD. However, the AP will not follow any heading, VS, climb mode, IAS mode, or ALT.

I have deleted my preferences (which reset my licences, I'm new to XP so I don't know the in-and-outs of it yet), but then the AP is the same.

My Saitek panels are inoperative with the SAAB, and I use the plugin XAssign if this helps you with information.

Thanks,

Fabio

Thanks, I'm planning on trying these today, and I'll report back.

I absolutely know that the AP works, so it is 100% my system (hardware or plugins; I'll methodically work my way through them).

There is another (solved) post that is similar to what I am experiencing, and the solution was to clear the preferences. When I did this, other than temporarily losing my licenses (!), I found that that my key/button assignments were still present and valid; why is this?

Funnily enough, I rarely use the Saitek panels, with the exception of gear and flaps, because I much prefer using and enjoying the wonderfully detailed and intricate VC's that virtual aircraft such as the SAAB are equipped with. Someone has spent much time on creating these masterpieces, so why not use them to the max?

Thanks,

Fabio

Hi Fabio, I'm not at my maschine right now so I'm limited. I had a similar looking problem and solved it by deleting "the" preferences (there are a coule of pref files).

Regarding assignments there is some trouble with x-assign and the saab going on. x-assign saves assignments per aircraft and this is probably the reason your assignments were restored even after deleting the x-plane prefs. The probem is (on my maschine at least) that the assignments (set 1) are auto-loaded before the saab is fully loaded. This can break the assignments and have unknown results. I'm still fighting to load my assignments into the saab, though the AP is working all fine.

The author of x-assign advices to load the assignments manually from set 2 or set 3 after full aircraft loading - and delete set 1 (x-assign per-aircraft-file) to limit the problems. 

I think you should disable x-assign and delete the prefs after that again as a first step to see if you get the AP working in a "plain" saab.

Welcome to X-Plane ;)

Cheers

Flo

PS: Another idea - have you tried to trigger the default "servos toggle" command in XP? In my case this interfered somehow with the Saab custom AP/FD commands...

Cheers

Flo

Edited by FloB

Hi,

Thanks, I have for the moment deleted xassign, and I removed the pconf file from the 340A.

the problem seems to be xsaitekpanels; I'm using version Xsaitekpanels_2_28, and the AP is fine for all other aircraft.

However, with the SAAB, the autopilot seems to be engaged ON, and the MCP buttons or modes are active with yellow lights, but the autopilot will not hold heading nor any form of VS or IAS.

If I delete xsaitekpanels from the plugin folder, then the 340A AP behaves perfectly.

I have downloaded the xsaitekpanels.cfg for the SAAB 340A by Igorland, but this doesn't allow the AP to control the aircraft, but it does allow control of the radio's or heading bug (but not digits on my panels, though this doesn't worry me at all).

Originally I had the (trigger / AP) button on my Saitek yoke mapped to XP's autopilot servo toggle, but this I have reset to nothing (no action).

Still not luck; any thoughts? I could use the SAAB without my gear and flaps or any of the Saite radio/switch panels, but I'd prefer to find a solution with works for all aircraft.

Thanks,

Fabio

Edited by Fab10

I would like to revert my plugin folder back to default; is there a way of finding out what the file/folder structure should be after a clean install?

If I fly the SAAB with xsaitekpanels installed, the AP doesn't fly the aircraft but the panel indications are that it is active and engages - it isn't.

If I then disable xsaitekpanels through plugin admin, nothing changes, and it is as above.

But if I remove xsaitekpanels and then start XP and fly the 340A, the AP works perfectly.

I just cannot see where the issue is; I'm assuming xsaitekpanels works OK with the SAAB because a SAAB specific cfg file has been created for it.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Fabio

Solved!

In case anyone is interested, the issue is as follows:

I assumed that since none of the Saitek switches on the multi-switch panel worked or affected any switches within the SAAB's VC, that they could all be off (i.e. the landing lights switch does not operate the landing switch within the SAAB, and so on for all other switches). Wrong.

Using XSaitekPanels, the AVIONICS switch needs to be ON for the SAAB's AP to work, but everything else on the panel can be off as these buttons may be operated properly within the VC.

So glad it's working, what an exceptional aircraft this is.

I like working without an FMC again, tracking to/from VOR radials, using NDB 's properly by compensating for winds, and following approach charts by hand, watching altitudes, and so on.

Great stuff, it's all about airmanship!