Check this out...

Goran_M

ha, isn't this ironic. You guys'll see this before everyone at the org probably. Just been given the go ahead to make public. My first video of a plane in development, so cool to have access and see improvements daily. And yes I'm demanding more improvements myself! Yes the systems are simpler, but in the flesh she is very imposing and graceful. Those engines! Enjoy.

I wonder if REX will make my storm clouds look better?

Why do the wings flex up like that when hitting the ground? I would have thought they'd flex down as that's where the momentum is.

oh god I need to sleep! I'll ask Heinz, but I did have max storm settings and turb. Those wings are very rigid, so I assume it's caused by extra air from the sudden drop. I'll finish my aeronautical engineering degree in the morning! Good luck with REX, tell us your impressions! 

Kamil, I'm a windoze user but abandoned fsx almost a yr ago. I wouldn't go near pmdg, as flying @ 10fps does not interest me. I agree it's a pity Rex is not out for linux or apple yet, but frankly we are lucky to get Rex at all for xp, so quickly. If I want real ATC I use vatsim. With Rex, assuming it performs as advertised, I reckon we'll be set! Great planes, nice cloudy skies and Norcal for eyecandy. I don't need orbx etc, too busy flying my plane to gawk at fps sucking buildings - but there are already great 3d sceneries- xpfr Paris (see my paf video), Corsica (ditto), eddm amazing, inside passage, OLA's work, javier's LESA etc, plus god knows what surprises xaviation and Ben have instore for us. Good times. But not if you're with Linux, bummer. Maybe time to dualboot?

Hi Simon,

I did not try to say a single negative word about X-Plane. And all you have said is very true and I entirely agree with every statement. However, Checklist plugin just to mention one is not available for Linux. This is very pity as it would add a lot of reality on one side and make easier starting those complicated birds (even real pilots might forgot something so the have those in place ;)) on the other hand.

I do love flying on X-Plane but I believe we have to stand up and speak up if there is something wrong, we should be pain in the neck and complain - this is one of the ways to make it a higher class product. I know how it sounds for developers now. :) Sorry guys, you are doing great job!

I think not getting an advantage from the fact that X-Plane is a multiplatform application is some kind of a shooting an own foot. There is a possibility, lets build base of our application to run on many architectures/platforms and be ready for future releases to be available for wider audience. It might be painful and expensive process at the beginning but it might pay itself off later on, maybe not with first product, first release, but with time it might be cost-effective.

I think (even though my English is so bad - apologies for that :() I have clarified my point of view. I did not try and attempt to sound grumpy. If you had had such an impression that it might be caused by lack of my English skills.

Kind regards,

Kamil

Hi Simon,

I did not try to say a single negative word about X-Plane. And all you have said is very true and I entirely agree with every statement. However, Checklist plugin just to mention one is not available for Linux. This is very pity as it would add a lot of reality on one side and make easier starting those complicated birds (even real pilots might forgot something so the have those in place ;)) on the other hand.

I do love flying on X-Plane but I believe we have to stand up and speak up if there is something wrong, we should be pain in the neck and complain - this is one of the ways to make it a higher class product. I know how it sounds for developers now. :) Sorry guys, you are doing great job!

I think not getting an advantage from the fact that X-Plane is a multiplatform application is some kind of a shooting an own foot. There is a possibility, lets build base of our application to run on many architectures/platforms and be ready for future releases to be available for wider audience. It might be painful and expensive process at the beginning but it might pay itself off later on, maybe not with first product, first release, but with time it might be cost-effective.

I think (even though my English is so bad - apologies for that :() I have clarified my point of view. I did not try and attempt to sound grumpy. If you had had such an impression that it might be caused by lack of my English skills.

Kind regards,

Kamil

No worries Kamil, that's ok. I understand your position.

Especially when you see my next post...

Well Guys,CONGRATULATIONS!!

I bought REX from XA this morning, and was really impressed - very similar to what I remember REX was like in FSX, only quicker and easier to use, and the install pack worked a treat.

I've already done 2 videos, the first is just up now but crappy quality, but should be good within half an hour:

I CAN CONFIRM, IT'S AMAZING, LITTLE FPS HIT AND ADDS A WHOLE DIMENSION. PLEASE FOLLOW INSTRUCTIONS AT START OF VIDEO...

Enjoy, there's some usual Simon humour at the end...Sorry Tom K!

Will post to the vid page when I'm happy with quality.

I bought REX from XA this morning, and was really impressed - very similar to what I remember REX was like in FSX, only quicker and easier to use, and the install pack worked a treat.

I have to second this statement. I own REX for FSX and the application that loads the textures was slow to the point where I would load textures, close the app and leave them in for many, many flights.

The REXplane app, I use completely differently. It's fast, comfortable and doesn't get in the way. I use the wxweather button to load the right textures for the flight I'm flying as well as having REX control the weather (Read the instructions to set to read the weather file but not download).

There's room in x-plane 10 for REXplane I feel, since my pet peeves are x-plane itself: the weather completely changing on an update (can't they smoothly interpolate  / tween between the two?) and the other ground texture refresh pop.

Anyway, heres a video of me overrunning in the congo.REX clouds can be seen in the start during the storm.

Nice video - although I would have hated to be on that flight.

I actually saw a video of a 747 overrun and crack up.  I bet that pilot got his pink slip.

Anyway, thank you all for your kind words and thoughts.  We do listen to all of them.

This version of REX has a completely re-developed platform underneath it, so it is remarkably faster than FSX.