X-Plane built in Multiplayer works! (VPN client Tunngle, and others)

Willzah

Me and a couple of friends finally got around to trying a VPN client for x-plane.... basically they install a virtual device and make your computer think its on a lan with your buddys over the internet, they you just post their ip's into x-plane and there it is! Works beautifully... 

Currently we had success with Tunngle.  Its free, and its fairly easy to use...  also had tried with Evolve but, this seems to bee even easier (Hamachi may work too, havent tried)

Tunngle currently has an X-Plane server up if anyone wants to play... 

If you have any questions and are interested post them here, we may be able to help as we have 3 of us able to join each other no problem....

one limitation include the fact that you must have the same ACF, in the same dir, and im pretty sure all clients must be on the same version of x-plane...

one limitation include the fact that you must have the same ACF, in the same dir, and im pretty sure all clients must be on the same version of x-plane...

If all clients must be on the same version I think that NetFlight would be a better choice, same ACF in the same folder too but no problem regarding the use of different x-plane versions.

What about lags using Tunngle?

Are they noticeable?

Hi AngeloM! Yes In most cases NetFlight is a better choice for over all compatability (tunngle is Windows only right now), but if you enjoy formation flying, for me it is almost useless... it does not interpolate the ACF location and thus, skip skip skip.  Using Tunngle and connection with the x-plane multiplayer, yeilded almost no visible lag or skip about 90% of the time, even when there is fps drop on either client it still interpolates the acf so it smoothly moves around.. Other things I prefer it for is things like, you can see when the engine is shut off, the aircraft carrier is synched, most things work, even combat works!  Its def worth a try if you havent ever used the built in multiplayer

Hi Willzah!

Well, as it's windows only I can't try it.  :(

I tried multiplayer over internet, speaking about lags I've to say that things were really bad maybe because my upload speed (if I remember well requirement for upload speed on earlier version of XP10 was 1Mbps, fixed on final release but it seems still too high for my connection), no problem at all using NetFlight... but I'll give it a check as soon as they'll make the Mac version, if they ever do.

Angelo

• 3 months later...
  • 5 months later...

My friends and I who live in different cities have been trying to connect up online to fly planes in xplane. I have just read your post about Tunngle. Is it really easy to use and does it help with port forwarding which we really do not understand? We need something very easy to use with some step by step instructions.