Elapsed Time running slow.

Mick Hill

OK I am slowly getting there.It will never be perfect because I can not afford all the add ons to make it perfect. So I will buy a few well moddled airports in Europe and fly between them. However that aside I now need to solve the"Time in the air"  issue. Flights taking 3 hours +  ( Say Glasgow to Valencia ) are taking 9 hours. The actual time clock in the 787 reads correct every time I switch on but the Time Elapsed readout runs a delay of 3 seconds for every 1 passed. This mutiplied up accounts for the massive time spent on " short " flights. Somewhere in the system I will be able to rectify this but I can not find where.

Any ideas???

MIck :) in anticipation.

While I wait I have just observed the clock again. I find that for every 1 minute actual time passed the sim has only moved forwards 12 Seconds. This is worse than I thought as it is a 5 to 1 negative ratio . So flights are taking 5 times longer than they should. :(

Edited by Mick Hill

I'm pretty sure once the FPS drops below a certain threshold (20?) the sim starts running in time dilation mode. Meaning one second of sim time takes two or more seconds of real time. I've had this experience on my Macbook Pro with long flights and when I've had rendering options cranked up past what my hardware could reasonably handle.

Here is what I can gleen. Firstly the sim is running on an i5 PC  .I opened the rendering options panel and here is what is activated " Ticked ".[  Compress textures to save VRAM ], [Texture Res: High]. [ Frame rate lock was set to Lock. I have now unlocked it but not flown anything since]. [Gamma is 2.2.] Stuff to draw  [ View indicator ] [ Runways follow contours ]  Special Effects [ 3D Bump maps ] [ Gritty detail textures ] [Draw per pixel lighting ] Cloud detail 45%. In the Opps and warnings panel I have Flight Model at 0.2  It was at 0.1 but I has all the flight surfaces ossilating during flight and the night sky also, plus the First officer in the 787 cabin was shaking his head all the time. Once I set to 0.2 all this stopped.

All the above settings are " factory set " that is I have nwvwr touched them apart from the Flight Model.

Here is what I can gleen. Firstly the sim is running on an i5 PC  .I opened the rendering options panel and here is what is activated " Ticked ".[  Compress textures to save VRAM ], [Texture Res: High]. [ Frame rate lock was set to Lock. I have now unlocked it but not flown anything since]. [Gamma is 2.2.] Stuff to draw  [ View indicator ] [ Runways follow contours ]  Special Effects [ 3D Bump maps ] [ Gritty detail textures ] [Draw per pixel lighting ] Cloud detail 45%. In the Opps and warnings panel I have Flight Model at 0.2  It was at 0.1 but I has all the flight surfaces ossilating during flight and the night sky also, plus the First officer in the 787 cabin was shaking his head all the time. Once I set to 0.2 all this stopped.

All the above settings are " factory set " that is I have nwvwr touched them apart from the Flight Model.

You still haven't told us what your frame rates are.

Sorry I don't know where to look for them. It will be somewhere obvious but Where?

Mick

Found it Here is all the display. Currently the aircraft is sat on the end of a runway at valencia.FMC loaded.

f-act     F-Sim            Frame     Cpu         Grnd    Flit

4.615   19.90            0.216      0.414      1.000    1.000

Sec      Sec               Time        Load        ratio     ratio

The airport sim is a good one plenty of detail.

Edited by Mick Hill

Sorry I don't know where to look for them. It will be somewhere obvious but Where?

Mick

Click on the Settings Menu, then Data {whatever it says}, find the row about five down from the top, on the left that says "framerate" to the right of the columns of checkboxes. Put a check in the checkbox on the right, closest to that "framerate" label. Sorry if that's not clear enough, but I'm going from memory (i.e., don't have XP installed on this system, let alone open). 

When you exit out of the Data settings panel, you'll have a text box at the top left of your screen. The FPS info will be there.

Can you post a screenshot of your rendering options screen, and list the complete spec of your computer please?

The f-act figure, the first one in the list, is the actual frame rate, a little over 4 frames per second = not good. You're going to have to dial back the rendering options to get the time ratio back on track.

Based on the fact the CPU Load is only 0.414 I'd be really interested to know what your graphics card is. The 0.414 means that out of the time taken to draw a frame, the CPU is only busy for 41.4% of it, therefore the Graphics Card is the bottleneck. Which is backed up by the fact the i5 is a pretty good processor and you should be getting more that 4 FPS with factory settings.

The F-Sim number is the frame rates the simulator is operating on, so in your case the simulator is seeing 19.90 frames as 1 second, while the F-Act is the actual frame rates being rendered by your computer. So your computer is rendering 4.615 frames every second, but the simulator is simulating time as though 1 second elapses every 19.90 seconds.

As has been stated a screenshot of your rendering settings and a complete system specs would be very useful in this case.

OK Now I need to be clear. 1 The rendering settings are where ?

2 The complete system spec is where?  

And can both be copied and pasted or is the screen shot exactly what it implies. Shift/space in the game/sim.? 

Sorry to sound such a numpty but I am bordering on my limits when it comes to accessing the internal workings of the computer.   X Plane Australia summed it up but Kieran sounds as though he may solve it.

Mick. Delving into the unknown at the age of 74. lol. :)

I have found the Rendering Options screen ,  How do I take a screen shot of it? and where will it be when I have done it so I can retrieve it and post it here?

Edited by Mick Hill

Thanks Jim  As it is the rendering options are almost all turned off. When I activated the "Set all options for maximum speed" I lost most of the scenery and the glare shield on the 787 became unreadable. I will however give it another go. What graphics card I need is now the question.

Mick

Thanks Jim  As it is the rendering options are almost all turned off.

Not according to the screenshot you posted. There are many things you could still turn down/off…. number of objects, cloud detail, texture resolution, etc.  However, with the graphics card you have, I'm not sure you'll get to the level of performance that you want/need.

What graphics card I need is now the question.

I'm pretty sure that the graphics card you have is not replaceable.

I have wound a few more things down and am now at 15+ Fps.

However it looks like I will never get it right without changing my PC. No can do I am afraid. Already with the marginal improvement I am loosing aircraft definition and poor scenery. The price you pay for progress. Thanks anyhow guys for trying.

Mick.

Edited by Mick Hill

Things are marginally improved but along the way I have inherited a Blue/Grey 3cm line running from side to side. Within this line there are many Tiny Red lines which appear as a boarder to the Glare Shield and round the Aircraft in an external view. What I have activated whilst trying to set the frame rate up I have no idea. I just know it was not there before I started fiddling. The frame rate is hovering between 8 and 14.5  now depending on the view. Not good but better than 4. 

Mick.

It was the HD Rendering. I turned it off and hay presto the lines were gone and the frame rate, with the cabin in 3D mode, has jumped to 22,5+ or-.1 or2 

Edited by Mick Hill