XP Scenery Generator [WIP]

tonywob

Exposure is exactly what this project needs to grow, especially the 3D objects library. The more users we have contributing and using the scenery, the better. World2Xplane is only one part of the equation, we also need lots more regional 3D buildings, OSM mapping and artwork for this to work. If you can spread the word and get people involved, then please do so. In the long run, this is for the benefit of everyone who uses X-Plane and wants to see something more than US scenery across the world. A community crowd-sourcing effort is the only way we are going to fix the scenery in X-Plane.

I'm gonna start soon 3D Buildings for Belgium, different textures, and different sizes, for the different types of zones...

Hi Tony,

I just tried your alpha 4 in Germany and I must say I am deeply impressed! It is a huge improvement over previous OSM-based sceneries.

One wish: I love the power lines but I prefer streets and railroads to be rendered by photo scenery. Thus, is it possible to included options so that we can differentiate whether we actually want roads and/or power lines and/or railways ... ?

Many thanks for that great work!

Kind regards,

Manni

Hi,

I tried to generate with the v0.0.5 Germany from the latest OSM file available at Geofabrik but I had an issue of OutOfBounds exception :

10:53:53.733 [Thread-7] INFO  com.world2xplane.Parser.OSMProcess - Added Tile Tile: 13,47 to queue10:53:53.733 [Thread-7] INFO  com.world2xplane.Parser.OSMProcess - Reading Tile: 7,53java.lang.ArrayIndexOutOfBoundsException: -32768	at java.util.ArrayList.elementData(Unknown Source)	at java.util.ArrayList.get(Unknown Source)	at com.world2xplane.Rules.GeneratorStore.getObjectDefinition(GeneratorStore.java:649)	at com.world2xplane.XPlane.DSFTile.writeObjectDefinitions(DSFTile.java:1909)	at com.world2xplane.XPlane.DSFTile.writeFile(DSFTile.java:1824)	at com.world2xplane.Parser.OSMProcess.buildScenery(OSMProcess.java:242)	at com.world2xplane.Parser.OSMProcess.process(OSMProcess.java:177)	at com.world2xplane.World2XPlane.run(World2XPlane.java:51)	at com.world2xplane.GUI.Worker.run(Worker.java:69)

The generation process seems to continue so I'll see ;)

Edited by Souf

I'd made a design mistake when originally creating the program. When storing an index to objects used in the scenery, I used a short integer which has a maximum value of 32768. Since adding custom objects, this number is now too small, and if more than this number are generated (could also be lights) for the entire scenery, the number overflows.

I'll post an update in the next few hours which

a) Treats generated objects differently, they'll only ever be used in one tile.

B) Increase the number to an full integer, so there can 2 million possible values. If you had this many objects in one tile, X-Plane probably wouldn't run anyway :D

The generator actually wouldn't have failed, but would have create some very very weird scenery :D

Tony

I tried to generate with the v0.0.5 Germany from the latest OSM file available at Geofabrik but I had an issue of OutOfBounds exception

I've pushed up v0.0.6, which "should" fix this problem. I'm currently generating Germany/Switzerland/Austria combined, and so far so good.

Tony

Sorry if i ask... Any possibility to have the files you generate?... Will you share them in your blog?... Thanks for this great tool!!!!!.:-)...

I'll do my best. The generated file is going to be quite large, so I may not be allowed to place it on the blog, and I think dropbox won't allow it. 

Also, I just wanted to mention as I've forgotton on the blog. You will need the R2 library and FF library for some of the buildings.

Edited by tonywob

Thank you very much for your fast replay!... Your tool is really amazing and i will try to use it but i'm not very good in this things... So if you'll find a solution to upload the files i think many people will REALLY thank you!!!!..:-):-):-)...

It's currently 75% the way through generating, and the size is almost 900MB, so I'll see how small it will zip up, but I doubt I'll be able to host it anywhere (It would take hours to upload alone). I'm pretty sure, and I hope, that when the application is a bit more stable, people will begin creating scenery packages with it, e.g. Like the ones on Simheaven. As I said very early on, I believe most people won't use the application directly, but will instead use scenery generated by the program.

BTW, for anyone interested, I'm working on some tutorials for creating 3D models http://world2xplane.com/tutorials/. I'm hoping people can follow along with the tutorials and begin contributing to the library.

Thank you very much for your fast replay!... Your tool is really amazing and i will try to use it but i'm not very good in this things... So if you'll find a solution to upload the files i think many people will REALLY thank you!!!!..:-):-):-)...

It's finished generating finally, but it's 512MB zipped, so there is nowhere I can host this, sorry. For the next version I have a few ideas on how to shrink the file size, but these sceneries are going to be large, due to the sheer amount of objects and data used.

GoogleDrive (DropBox like) allows over 1Gb...

Wouldn't they charge/ban you if you used up too much bandwidth? 

After generating Austria/Germany/Switzerland, the uncompressed scenery was 1.2GB, and compressed using bzip, was 500MB. Most of the space is actually taken up by the custom textures for the 3D model parts. I had a fly around the scenery, and there are a lot of them in Germany. It makes for some interesting scenery, but it really needs optimising as loading times suffered. Before distributing the scenery on the website, I think I first need to do the following:

• Compress all generated textures to DDS. (It already does this, but leaves the PNG files for people who aren't using compression).
  • The models/textures are sorted into tiles and we could save lots of space by sharing textures across tiles (It did this in Alpha 5, but I was using a global list of objects/textures and it overflowed :D).
  • I left lots of debugging files in the scenery folder which can be removed.
  • Don't generate roofs for buildings that have another building on top of them (This will be difficult, as most building parts aren't in relations yet).

I've also tried combining textures together into sheets, but because I use UV wrapping, it's not possible to do so.

Edited by tonywob

Do you think enough people would download it and seed them for it work? I don't normally use torrents, so I don't know

if i were you here is how i would do it.

Separate everything into regions but it should be still the same torrent file. so you would have europe, usa  and ece. doing it this way makes sure that everyone will get all the files at the same speed. it would be slower at first to distribute but will be better for long term.

we can also use a torrent box to distribute everything . using it this way will make sure that torrent box is on 24/7 and it has a fast connection. 

http://customer.kphservices.com/seedbox-hosting.php

one the files get distributed you can turn off the seedbox and just have people distribute stuff. 

I don't think that torrents would make much sense at this stage. As everything is still very much WIP those files would become outdated fairly quickly...

For now I'm offering my reasonably sized Swiss scenery 'as is' for public download here:

http://www.mediafire.com/download/vz591fbl1e31l5h/OSM_CH.7z (~72MB, 7Zip compressed)

It was generated with the latest Alpha (0.0.6) using the current OSM country export from Geofabrik and the following custom options:

- LOD 10km (default = 12km)

- Smart exclusions = true

- Building exclusion range = 100m

- Forest exclusion range = 500m

Just unzip the contained folder "OSM_CH" into your Custom Scenery making sure it is at the right priority in scenery_packs.ini e.g. just above any custom meshes, orthophoto, OSM Europe from Simheaven, Treelines and Farms from Alpilotx, etc. Also, it is recommended to use Simheaven's Europe Library as otherwise the autogen outside the smart exclusion zones will show US-style buildings...

Edited by Daikan
  • Upvote 1

Thanks Daikan, and I agree that it doesn't make sense yet to distribute the files as they will change every single alpha release (and they are coming quickly), and it would be a nightmare to continually update the countries whenever the program is changed. A user has offered us some server space, so I'll upload a few demo areas, but it won't be regularly updated until v1 is out.

I'm working on a way of reducing the generated scenery size at the moment, so far with my experiments the folder size has reduced by about 40%, but if it effects performance then it may not be worth it.

Also, just wanted to add that if you use Daikan's scenery, you will also need the R2 and FFLibraries.

http://xplane.cz/en/r2-library/

http://forums.x-plane.org/index.php?app=downloads&showfile=12708

Also, there is currently an issue which has prevented DDSTool generating a specific tile in France (Surprisingly it wasn't Paris). So I'm looking into this at the moment.