My SMP future updates wishlist....

Willzah

Hi, just want to first say I love this plugin it breathes life into x-plane 10!  Thank u for the work you have done.   

I do have a few things I would love to see incorporated, I know some of them are prob unrealistic, but nevertheless here....

Shadows, def would make it pop more, its a bit disappointing now to see the beautiful rays going down to an un shaded earth.....

Distribution, currently looks to be fairly regular and not based on any actual radar data but rather the metar (or just what you have set) cloud level/type data that is based on the position of the aircraft...  This one is a real toughy for me, especially up at high alt and trying to determine if there is a system in the distance to avoid, currently there is no way to tell if a storm is in front of you visually, you must rely on radar(what do you do if its not equipped), this one is the one that makes me use the default clouds most of the time, and even default system really needs work in this department, but at least I can see for instance, a clear area, before a storm at over 40 50 miles...  I know this goes in to the realm of a good weather injector and all that, but again, its something I feel MUST be done just for realism.

More tweaks on the cloud shaders, its already very good! but still seems a bit too bright at dawn/dusk and they just POP out a bit too much I think, perhaps more shading on the bottoms? 

Turbulence based on the position of the SMP clouds, when entering and exiting clouds turbulence of some sort is common, in X-plane default I notice this happens sometimes... would be awesome if that could be implemented...

Billboarding/Sprites, now I know that the fundamental way SMP wont likely change(eg true volumetrics), but I think improvements should be made to how obvious billboarding is when entering/exiting clouds... it almost strobes currently in the cockpit, its kind of disturbing (I can ignore it pretty well actually haha) and I think a "whiteout fading" shader could be added...also in external views or when on the ground you can see the hard lines of the clouds intersecting mesh, its a hard thing to overcome I imagine, but Im sure there is some creative way of "smudging it" so to speak...

Lens Flares, maybe someday? or just a Lens Flare Maxx pro release :)

my 2 cents, again thanks for all your great products and looking forward to all your future work!

-Will

Edited by Willzah

Hey thanks for the input and I am happy to see a constructive post with some very good feature requests.....

SMP is something that was never intended to be implemented using the SDK, with help from Laminar Research (Great Guys) we were able to make it happen ;)

Ok with that said we do have a wish list of art controls we would like to see in the SDK to further enhance SkyMAXX some things mentioned above are on our radar for the future.  The art of programming is way more complicated then it seems on the surface and I cannot promise anything but keep in mind we are highly motivated......

Again thanks.... your suggestions are noted :D

Sweet! Thanks, and I know it isn't easy having people jump on a forum all the time saying "do this do that" with no clue of programming (haha this >guy<) so I truly appreciate your attention to the community. 

Thats what keeps me motivated..... :D   Constructive feedback that is...

Edited by JohnMAXX

• 2 weeks later...

Woo hoo, Deptford, I take my wife Carolina shopping there all the time, hate shopping but gotta do it for the loved one. :D

Near McGuire AFB, sounds great, not that far from me, I miss the McGuire AFB shows. :(

Hey, when it gets warmer, maybe we can get together for lunch if you want, if you are not too busy of course, just an idea.

Cheers, AJ ;)

Cool John, when it gets nicer I will drive up closer to where you are for a quick lunch, yeah, I know busy but I have seen community guys do that a lot. VPA I am a member , they even fly from different countries to meet.

Anybody else from NJ for a quick meeting? 

OK, will not bother you now, I will remind you when the spring comes.

Great job on XP, I know I repeat myself but that is on purpose, I remember someone saying that when the credit is due , it needs to be recognized and appreciation shown, even when it is payware.

I agree with that 100%.   Cheers, AJ  :)

• Upvote 1

Distribution, currently looks to be fairly regular and not based on any actual radar data but rather the metar (or just what you have set) cloud level/type data that is based on the position of the aircraft...  This one is a real toughy for me, especially up at high alt and trying to determine if there is a system in the distance to avoid, currently there is no way to tell if a storm is in front of you visually, you must rely on radar(what do you do if its not equipped), this one is the one that makes me use the default clouds most of the time, and even default system really needs work in this department, but at least I can see for instance, a clear area, before a storm at over 40 50 miles...  I know this goes in to the realm of a good weather injector and all that, but again, its something I feel MUST be done just for realism.

+1 !! This the one thing that really bugs me about SMP. Hope this can be fix one of these days !

I like what MS Flight does with the mist affect going through the clouds. Some food for thought !

Regards........

Edited by strider

Pine Barrens; isn't that where Chris and Paulie had to traipse after that Russian mobster?

This wishlist is excatly as mine except from another thing:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BArxUkxIyx8

I watched this video and I prety sure that he is using SMP,is there any option that we can increase the clouds resolution? I think if so,it'll make SMP clouds no less than perfect!

Are you including these textures in your next update John or is this just a mod from Sabach? Looks gorgeous but I imagine it'll give quite an FPS hit.

Pine Barrens; isn't that where Chris and Paulie had to traipse after that Russian mobster?

Are you including these textures in your next update John or is this just a mod from Sabach? Looks gorgeous but I imagine it'll give quite an FPS hit.

Yeah you got to be careful with texture resolution, I highly suspect he edited the "wispy" textures inside the resources folder, I think his look neat BTW

We are releasing our own set with a different approach than his which are optimized......

I don't mind people editing those textures,  but I do mind if they create a performance hit and I am left trying to figure out why your FPS  tanked without knowing so be careful ;)

Yep thats were all the mobsters bury bodies,  oh wonderful New Jersey....LOL