co-pilot airspeed indicator

MartinJ

Hi folks,

today I tried a short flight from the co-pilot's point of view. One thing I noticed is that I can't move the speed bugs on the ASI. From my mouse indicator I can see that the bugs are actually moving but the 3d-bugs remain in the same position. It seems that the connection between the speed bug logic and the visualisation is missing.

Besides this little bug I am struggling with some graphical artefacts which appear from time to time when I am using the Saab. The artefacts are long and narrow triangles which appear on the virtual cockpit 3d model and are visible for maybe 1/10 second and then they disappear again. I have already updated the driver of my AMD Radeon HD 7900 but without success. Since every other plane doesn't have this issue it might be caused by the Saab. Maybe one of you guys knows a solution for this issue?

best regards

Martin

Edited by MartinJ

From my mouse indicator I can see that the bugs are actually moving but the 3d-bugs remain in the same position
I'm not sure what this means… What is a mouse indicator ?  Do you mean the cursor changes?    and…. how can you see the bug moving if they remain in the same position ?  

Hi Goran,

thank you for your quick response. Maybe you can help me with another issue I experienced. This time it is related to the cabin air pressurization.

The flight starts at Niederrhein airport with all weather settings set to standard. The landing altitude is set to the field elevation of 106 ft, the baro setting is set to 29.92 and the auto/man switch is set to auto. The differential pressure indicator shows zero. After engine start and bleed air activation the differential pressure remains at zero. So far so good.

Now I open the weather menu and change the baro pressure to 29.50. After this I reload the Saab and set the landing elevation to 106 ft again and the baro setting to the new value of 29.50. After I set the batteries to on the differential pressure reads zero, which is correct since the outflow value is assumed to be in the fully opened position. After engine start and activation of bleed air the cabin rate drops to -500 ft/min until a differential pressure of 0.2 psi (29.92 - 29.50) is reached. Since the cabin air pressurization can't produce a vacuum on ground there has to be a bug in the system's logic.

best regards

Martin

Hi guys,

here is one more question for you. The superb performance charts which are delivered with the Saab offer e.g. max takeoff power charts for four different configurations: 

a ECS off & ENG A/I off

b ECS off & ENG A/I on

c ECS on & ENG A/I off

d ECS on & ENG A/I on

The charts from page 32 to 37 which represent the V-speeds only cover configurations a, b and c. So I was wondering what the V-speeds look like for configuration d. Thank you!

Edited by MartinJ

Maybe you can help me with another issue I experienced. This time it is related to the cabin air pressurization.

The flight starts at Niederrhein airport with all weather settings set to standard. The landing altitude is set to the field elevation of 106 ft, the baro setting is set to 29.92 and the auto/man switch is set to auto. The differential pressure indicator shows zero. After engine start and bleed air activation the differential pressure remains at zero. So far so good.

Now I open the weather menu and change the baro pressure to 29.50. After this I reload the Saab and set the landing elevation to 106 ft again and the baro setting to the new value of 29.50. After I set the batteries to on the differential pressure reads zero, which is correct since the outflow value is assumed to be in the fully opened position. After engine start and activation of bleed air the cabin rate drops to -500 ft/min until a differential pressure of 0.2 psi (29.92 - 29.50) is reached. Since the cabin air pressurization can't produce a vacuum on ground there has to be a bug in the system's logic.

Martin,

Thanks for reporting this issue.  You were right… there was a bug in the pressurization system that was not opening the outflow valve when the aircraft is on the ground.  However, just to be clear… please refer to Pg. 163 of the Systems Manual, Pre-pressurization Mode, where it describes how, when the outflow valve is closed, the system WILL allow for pressurization to 140 feet below actual cabin altitude.  So, during taxi and the takeoff roll you may see the cabin rate drop when the system engages (PL beyond 64 degrees).

Edited by JGregory

I have just done a short flight from Weeze to Paderborn. Here are two more things I have noticed:

1) No ground speed indication after landing. Just three dashed lines.

2) The fuel used indicator reseted automatically after I switched off one engine. Is this what it is supposed to do?

best regards

Martin

1) No ground speed indication after landing. Just three dashed lines.

There needs to be a valid DME signal in order to display ground speed.

2) The fuel used indicator reseted automatically after I switched off one engine. Is this what it is supposed to do?

The fuel used system requires power from the Right Main Bus or it will reset.

When you have a "new" subject to discuss, please start a new thread.  These latest questions have nothing to do with the airspeed indicator.

Edited by JGregory

Please excuse that I write in this thread again, but my post is related to your answer.

You wrote that the fuel used indicator is supplied by the right main bus. But why does it reset when I switch its energy supply from right main bus to left main bus (via bus tie relay) by setting the right generator switch to off? Shouldn't the bus tie relay close immediately and thereby prevent the fuel used indicator from being reset?

Please excuse that I write in this thread again, but my post is related to your answer.

You wrote that the fuel used indicator is supplied by the right main bus. But why does it reset when I switch its energy supply from right main bus to left main bus (via bus tie relay) by setting the right generator switch to off? Shouldn't the bus tie relay close immediately and thereby prevent the fuel used indicator from being reset?

Martin,

Can you describe what scenario requires you to turn off the right generator, except at the end of a flight?  Just curious.

Hi Jim,

after reaching the parking position I switch off the right hand engine so that I can connect the GPU. After the GPU is connected I shut of the left hand engine and open the doors. Thereafter I usually compare the flight plan data (fuel used, flight time) with the actual data. This is how I noticed the issue with the fuel used indicator.

Edited by MartinJ

Martin,

Here's the situation… When dealing with relays there is a "chain if events" so to speak.  So, when you shut off the left generator, several relays are opened… and this is not instantaneous.  The reset of the fuel used is "getting caught" in the process between the generator relay opening and the bus-tie closing.  I have a method to fix this but I cannot say when it will get done.

In the meantime, I would suggest you note your fuel used prior to  shutting of the generator.