Leading Edge Simulations Saab 340A Experience

arb65912

Finally I moved to New Zeland.
Flew few times around Christchurch NZCH practicing landings.

Today is my big day, I will fly from NZCH to Queenstown NZQN  trying to use NZQN_RNAV (RNP) Y RWY23   approach.
Route will be programmed to Airtrack and I will try to fly it all the way in on autopilot which I will disengage about 200 AGL.

Wish me luck and keep your fingers crossed. sweatingbullets.gif  Cheers, AJ thumbsup.gif

• Upvote 1

Hey Trev,  that would be my pleasure. :)

BEFORE I do that, I will need to post some experiments with IAS mode and then few videos from NZQN approaches.

Your NZWN approach with the custom weather will be next, probably this weekend.

You might see many GAs though. :D    Cheers, AJ ;)

Inspired by recent discussion in the other thread as well as posts from the past, I wanted to make a quick video just about LES Saab340A Autopilot IAS ( Speed ) Mode.

I would like to ask Leading Edge Simulations Team members to respond if anything I am saying in the video is not correct.

I am trying to fly LES Saab340A as I was flying a real deal ( well, most of the times except when I want some experience some healthy adrenaline rush :D ) and I would hate to provide incorrect statements.

I have videos from NZQN approaches and will post them soon.  Stay tuned. Cheers, AJ ;)

Hey Vincent,

That was quite easy and since it is just like livery , I hope it does not void the warranty, Cameron? :D

Seriously, I am at work but I will try.

There are two .jpg or .png files in objects folder ( these apply to all Saab liveries if I am not mistaken).

If you look at the pictures, you will find the right one, if not I will point it out for you.

I suggest to save the original somewhere in case you screw up. :D   Just in case.

Since you find the file, you openm it in Photoshop or Gimp ( I have Gimp, free but as powerful as PS) and save it in native format.

Create new layer so you do not mess up anything.

Add whatever you want on that layer, has to be above the main layer where you see the whole cockpit.

When you are done, export the file with the same name as whatever the original is and override existing one.

Then you nee3d to load your new LES Saab340A livery and you are done.

If you make more changes, you need to load different livery first and then reload yours to see the changes.

If things do not work or you mess up, DO NOT BLAME ME! :lol: :lol:

I only answered you how I did it.

Same thing goes for creating new livery, just copy the painting kit folder available   http://forums.x-pilot.com/files/file/564-take-command-saab-340a-paint-kit/

and rename to your liking. Then edit whatever you wish and of course add the new custommlivery folder to existing ones.

Have fun and let us know how it went.

Cheers, AJ ;)

Inspired by recent discussion in the other thread as well as posts from the past, I wanted to make a quick video just about LES Saab340A Autopilot IAS ( Speed ) Mode.

I would like to ask Leading Edge Simulations Team members to respond if anything I am saying in the video is not correct.

I am trying to fly LES Saab340A as I was flying a real deal ( well, most of the times except when I want some experience some healthy adrenaline rush :D ) and I would hate to provide incorrect statements.

I have videos from NZQN approaches and will post them soon.  Stay tuned. Cheers, AJ ;)

thank you! great video. very helpful and informative.  is there a way to assign the auto pilot engage and disengage lever to a button on a joystick?

thank you! great video. very helpful and informative.  is there a way to assign the auto pilot engage and disengage lever to a button on a joystick?

Glad you liked the video.

You missed the thread where I replied to your question on autopilot assignment. Check the link below. Reply # 12

http://forums.x-pilot.com/topic/5784-solved-where-is-the-autopilot-engage-button/

Cheers, AJ ;)

Gentlemen,

I know that few of you are watching this thread and you might wonder why I did not post for a while. :P

I am flying on FSE and I purchased Saab340 for v$3,600,000 :blink:

I had to take a loan for it and I have to pay every month v$360,000 which converts to a lot of flying on FSE.

As far as my Leading Edge Simulations Saab 340A Experience thread, nothing has changed, I still have a whole plan for sharing some interesting flights with you.

Next one ( I will try today) will be requested/proposed NZWW RWY34 approach with funky weather NW winds at 45 KNTS G70... oooohoooo, that will be tough. :o

Cannox, where are you? You mysteriously disappeared. Hope all is well.

Cheers, AJ ;)

Well, the real pilots would know what to do but my opinion would be to use 20 deg flaps.

I have been able to lift off at 80 KIAS and maintain climb but I can not tell what was my TOW.

In normal conditions I take off with 0 flaps unless it is a short runway, then I use 20 deg as described above.

Are you taking off with the maximum allowable weight? Do not forget the density altitude is a big factor when it is hot, humid and high.

Just try the flaps and see what happens.

Cheers, AJ ;)

Yea, close to max takeoff.  All is good with 'normal' weight... Ill try the flaps.  I also lowered my takeoff trim settings from what they usually are and that helped a bit.

Also grabbed gimp.. gonna try my hand at liveries. See how it goes..

Edited by canox

Hey Canox,

We have LES Saab340A version 1.1, isn't it great?  :D   Can not wait to get home and get my hands on it.

You know that I have a whole list for the approaches I want to fly and share but your comments sparkled an interest. :)

Last night I looked at the Saab documentation and .... if you really want to play it real, you would need to determine your power settings CTOT for conditions you are taking off at.

You are flying  now ( on your XP vacations ) in hot , humid weathere with a heavy aircraft, I would try to do it right, just for fun and see how it works.

To determine your take off  power settings , you would need to know pressure/density altitude at your location.

I never really got into it but now since you brought it up, I will do some studying on it, do my take off , make a video and post here for discussion.

Another thing for a succesfull take off would be to determine your V1, Vr and V2 speeds using the LES Saab340A documentation.

It will depend on the temperature and weight.

Anyway, you got me interested to learn all this stuff, Canox. :D  NOW I have to study all this and then test it with our belowed, upgraded LES Saab340A. :)

Trim settings, I do not know, I have a number 330,340 for a general , normal take off, works fine but now we are talking different conditions so to maintain Vy ( or Vx if you need) we will need different trim.

Oh boy, isn't it cool NOT to know so many things and trying to learn? It is for me.  Thank you LES X-Aviation Team, you gave me the "tool" for learning. :)

He, he, good luck with Gimp, it is not hard but time consuming depending on the quality of the livery you want to achieve.

I have stopped working on my livery ( look below, my SAAB looks like naked, lol,lol)  but I love the sticker and a picture in the cockpit, make LES Saab340A much more "personal".

Looking forward to your Gimp impressions and some pictures and videos.If ther are any questions I am able to answer, shoot away.

Is it time to go home YET????? I want to try the upgraded SAAB. :D    Cheers, AJ ;)

Edited by arb65912

Hey man,

Did a bit of flying with the new SAAB and SMP update, loving the performance boost!

New sounds in the SAAB are lovely too.

Ive never set it up 'for real' for takeoff according to the docs.. Ill wait for your vid to show me how to do it lol.  I always use max CTOT.. wouldnt that be best?

Thanks for the flaps advice.. even 15 flaps and my 'heavy' takeoff was much smoother.. rotated before 105 and had no problems climbing out.

(This is where I really love the FJS 727 takeoff card thing...)

Painting a livery is going to take way longer than I thought!  

My first is just going to be colours overlayed on the background layer I guess.. Im not sure how to make it look shiney and contoured yet.

Edit: Just noticed the paint kit doesnt have windows?

Take care!

Edited by canox

Hey Canox,

I am in New York now, suppose to be back to NJ Tomorrow night or Saturday afternoon.

Flew updated Saab for couple hours, no more problem with the right view from the cockpit or outside views, I will be able to show some nice or not nice landings.

What are the new sounds in Saab?

I did not have enough time to really look at the fixes and additions.

Max CTOT is definitely not the best option if you want it real.

When I get back and have some time, I will study more and make a nice video on that.

I hope that someone from LES Team will correct me if/when i provide some incorrect info. :-)

Yes, I know what you are talking , card thing, he, he, that is why you need to look up your v speeds for Saab.

Painting in gimp, just a hint, create a layer above background one for your painting.

Actually create few layers to paint over different parts.

Now big hint, use merge for the type of layer, NOT normal.

That will make all rivets and details still visible.

If you just paint with normal type layer, it will cover all that is underneath unless you assign some transparency to it.

But transparency is also not good because you will lose the color intensity.

I will tell you what, gimp is a fantastic program for image editing, I just do not know how to use it's full potential.

You do not need windows in paint kit because they are transparent.

Take care buddy and have lots of fun with our beloved LeS Saab340A and gimp. I just wish i had more time for all this.

Cheers, AJ :-)

Hey man

Whoa New York.. doin' it big time.

We get a new noisey GPU sound when its connected and the props are smoothed out.

Thx for the gimp tips.. wont the rivets still show if I just put my paint layer above the 'background' layer and save as PNG from there?  Ill mess around with the layer settings anyway...  

Hardest part is getting the bands of colour to line up on the different sections of fuselage since they arent 'lined up' on the template.

Edit: This 'multiply' setting you suggest is great... I was sort of stuck at that part.  Im making lots of progress on my livery now! Ill be sure to post some pictures today sometime..

Take care

Edited by canox