Leading Edge Simulations Saab 340A Experience

arb65912

I took a break. Lerning the B772 now and trying to make some traffic with World Traffic plug-in.

Glad to hear you are having fun with the racing simulator, diversion is good.

I wonder it we will ever reach the point when we just fly using X-Plane without constant tweaking, trying, fixing and starting over.... :rolleyes:

Good to hear from you Cannox. :)

Cheers, AJ ;)

Hey AJ glad to see youre still around.  B772 is a big plane! Hows the switch to FMS flight planning?

Ive been looking into using a program called VoiceAttack.. I wonder if it could work in X-Plane.

From their site 'VoiceAttack will take commands you speak into your microphone and turn them into a series of keyboard key presses and mouse actions'

For flying the SAAB with so many toggle switches.. just saying stuff like prop sync off or air condition on could decrease the workflow.

About tweaking.. I dont think so man lol.  Maybe if X-Plane had a 1000 man team like a Call of Duty game or something.. it could work out of the box without tweaking.

Were in a niche minority of people who like to do interesting things. All the PC games I play are the same.. ArmA, X-Plane, Assetto Corsa.  So much flexibility but lots of tweaking.

Edit: I downloaded the trial (3 weeks free, 20 voice commands) and it works flawless.  Just set up some basic commands like gears, flaps.. but its great. http://www.voiceattack.com/

Coming in on approach I just hit a toggle on my joystick.. say gears.. and my gears drop instantly.  Its a co-pilot for $8 full version.. Ill see if I end up using it in the long run.

Edited by canox
  • Downvote 1

Well, FMS programming is pretty easy since you go through few cycles. The exciting part is that the plane does all you proggrammed in, the bad part is that you are just a spectator....

Let me know how the Voice Attack works, sounds like a cool idea.

That sound program almost looks like having a flight officer, right?

I might even try it but I will wait for your experiences with it.

Post here or send me PM , keep me updated.

So much to do and not enough time....

Cheers, AJ ;)

Hey man.  

I guess its all about setting up the FMS before you take off.  Id still love to learn a big modern airliner.

My cousin who got me into Xplane let me try the B777 on his setup, ended up in a nose dive.. those passenger screams will never leave me.

For VoiceAttack.. it works exactly like a first officer.  Im surprised at how easy this is to setup and how responsive the voice commands are.

For the SAAB I have commands for air conditioning, auto coarsen, CTOT (I put the voice command as 'sea tow' lol.. you could try 'see toe'), prop sync, gears, flaps and AP disengage.

I havnt even experimented with the macros.. Im sure theres a way I could say 'heading 320 degrees' and make the autopilot do it.

Ill make a video for you to show how well it works.

Edit: Ah Fraps keep crashing, dont know what is going on.

Edited by canox

@Canox: yes, if you program FMS right, the plane will execute autoland.

Keep working on that voice thing, I will definitely try it one day, that is like first officer or copilot, very cool.

I will be definitely waiting for the vide, please take your time but record a lot.

man, they always come up with new things, that is cool about simulation in general.

@ Vincent: wow, I bet that was quite an experience.

I do not know how hight thunderstorms can go but did you fly Saab 340A to 30,000'?

How did you do that, I was having problems to go any higher than 25,000'

Cheers, AJ ;)

Hi, arb65912!

The way I fly the Saab 340A to 30,000 feet is I climb like 500 FPM after gain some indicated airspeed after I level off about several thousand feet lower than 30,000 feet. What kind of problems are you experiencing when going any higher than 25,000? Thanks!

Cheers,

Vincent

Maybe everybody hoped that AJ is gone finally... :D:lol:    Well, he is not!

I was totally sucked into the World Traffic plug-in and I am a big fan of it.

Not only it let the user to generate traffic at will but also works great with VATSIM.

Having said that, it will be time soon to get back to Saab 340A and fly approaches suggested by Jim G. :)

http://airfactsjournal.com/2013/09/7-instrument-approaches-you-have-to-see-to-believe/

Need to generate some traffic and will be back in LES Saab340A.

Take a look at the video clip, KBOS, VATSIM and World Traffic working hand in hand.

Enjoy!  Cheers, AJ ;)

• 5 months later...

Hi

Your take off procedure is great info. I am practicing it. For a smooth transition from manual take off to A/P at 400AGL, i realized that if you take off having already activated the FD configured to IAS and HDGorNAV, then once you pass 400 AGL you activate the A/P and the transition is way smoooooth. But taking off having the FD off, then while you activate it and set everything the plane tends to level off, or pitch down. etc. which feels uncomfortable and uncontrolled.

Is it wrong my approach?

I can not move the GUST LOCK handler! As per your video it is required to keep holding the RELEASE slider with the mouse while you move the gust lock handler. But the mouse is busy holding the RELEASER, how do you actually move the handler? is it assigned to a key? joystick? how did you achieve that?

Saitek combo here (yoke + pedals) 

thanks!!

Edited by mmerelles

Thanks Goran_M !!!

The link was very useful, i was able to assign the release key and then move the gust lock handle.

I knew you are required to keep pushing the a/p for 2-3 secs to get it activated and it does. But i am still suffering a bit of uncontrolled flight while transitioning from manual to a/p after take off. I will have to keep experimenting with the trim settings and proper power config, i also noticed i am putting too much pressure over the ailerons to keep the proper angle/speed thus having a bit of uncontrolled transition. Just for my reference and proper procedure, FD should be off or on prior to take off?

We had a Saab 340 captain with over 4000 hours and an FO with about 2000 hours help us with every part of this aircraft and its systems.  Definitely not a "jump in and fly" add on.  

Please make sure you read the manual.  It covers everything you need to know.

is it still at version 1.1?

Having just purchased the King Air it feels absurd to me to "look out the window" at the wing tip and see a completely faked texture that does not display a true reflection but instead shows me some preset reflected angle that only matches the exact angle of the pilots default head position.

Screenshot%202014-10-11%2000.12.32.png

Edited by Ben Russell

@Goran_M

Well my takeoffs are performing much better now, they are smooth, climb profile after 500 agl + ias climb later seems to work best

Now i am perfecting my approach and landings (while i am able to touch down centered and soft, i want to be sure i am doing it right), a few questions, hopefully you can confirm:

Winds calm day

-While approaching i should keep a bit more speed than suggested 115 kts (120 kts), otherwise i have to pitch the nose up more to keep rate of descent at 700 fpm. As consequence runway visibility gets compromised. Is this plane supposed to approach nose up a bit more than others? i also noticed this plane cruises having the nose up a bit more than others. is it right? or am i doing something wrong on weight distribution?

-What would be VREF for landing? how do you calculate it for this plane?

-I have been experimenting adding payload weight on xplane menu, it like how the weight feels during climb phase, but again while landing how to calculate proper speeds to keep the plane under proper pitch levels during approach and landing?

-My last question for now :) would be: how to you handle weight distribution, is there any tab i am missing for setting passengers or cargo in the desired position?

thanks

manuel

Edited by mmerelles

Having just purchased the King Air it feels absurd to me to "look out the window" at the wing tip and see a completely faked texture that does not display a true reflection but instead shows me some preset reflected angle that only matches the exact angle of the pilots default head position.

Screenshot%202014-10-11%2000.12.32.png

You'd rather look out at your wingtip with no visual idea of enclosure between your seat and the 100s of knots of airflow passing by outside? That's not really a window. That's a hole.