Sudden changes / not so good :)

xplaneorgisdumb

Yea as I saw your post I was reading something you wrote about a conflict with SASL... But I think I need SASL to fly the ramzzess 777....I'll wait till I hear more. But as I land the clouds come back, so its just cruising that the skies are clear when they shouldn't be

I don't know of any conflict with SASL. Just the A320 NEO, which the author already created a beta patch for.

Hmmm Ok then I do not know why after uninstalling NOAA WX and using real weather through X plane with XSB that Skymaxx isn't showing any clouds above about 5k. I only see clouds when taking off and landing. This is with NOAA not even in the plugins python script. I totally took it out.

Dave

John not to totally derail this, but..... its kinda on topic... What are the chances that you will ever make a move toward using the metar cloud map as a distribution shader for the Skymaxx clouds as opposed to the current one which AFAIK is based on the aircraft location in the world to draw clouds.... What I mean is that I really miss how  you can see a system in the distance with the default weather, and will also see clear areas...  If you could use that for cloud distribution then perhaps Skymaxx wouldnt need to "re raster" the clouds everytime there is a change, it could drawn them in at a set viewdistance based on the metar global cloud distribution map, almost like a procedural distribution shader!  This would also help with the realisim of Thunderclouds in the distance which I know people have mention as a want.....

Anyhoo, not sure if this would be possible without a major rewrite....distant future maybe?

p.s. LOVING SKYMAXX, and thank you for the quick updates and support!

Edited by Willzah

Oh so then, if Laminar decides to give you access to the built in weather it may happen?

Likely not, only because SMP is already written (and the likelihood of such data becoming available is next to nil anyhow). 

This is really a job for a weather injector; something I'm sure will come by someone, somewhere (it's only logical), but not by way of something incorporated into SkyMaxx Pro itself.

I just had an idea that may be easy to implement and could help with the OP  problem, what if there was a slider for "transition time" so that if you wanted you could have the cloud transition of the new place take longer like say 1 minute, or 2?  If it could be much longer than the few seconds of current it would help not destroy suspension of disbelief so much during the change... I know that winds likely have to still snap change, wish laminar would do something similar about that...

This is a great idea. I'm not developer of any kind but wouldn't the source of the problem (x-plane weather engine) help with SkyMaxx as well if that were the case?

If laminar had a gradual change to "new weather" over a period of a couple minutes, that would automatically apply to SM then. Maybe a suggestion focused to laminar would be better. I would be happy to do this but I think someone with some experience coding should so this so that it will be actually taken seriously if it is possible.

Best Regards,

Kyle Sanders

X-Plane Aviators Founder

• 1 year later...

This is really a job for a weather injector; something I'm sure will come by someone, somewhere (it's only logical), but not by way of something incorporated into SkyMaxx Pro itself.

I do hope a solution is forthcoming to this problem because it really stops me using SMP, certainly for airliners or any kind of IFR flying, the sudden weather changes are jarring and unrealistic - especially if the weather changes occur below MDA or when attempting any kind of visual procedure in marginal conditions.

I am kind of hoping the PMDG connection with Active Sky Next means it will arrive at the same time as the 737NGX or 777. Then it would make sense for a future version of SMP to work with ASN. That would be a match made in heaven but I don't expect anyone to confirm or deny whether it's like to happen or not!

I live in hope because SMP does... look... amaaazing....

I do hope a solution is forthcoming to this problem because it really stops me using SMP, certainly for airliners or any kind of IFR flying, the sudden weather changes are jarring and unrealistic - especially if the weather changes occur below MDA or when attempting any kind of visual procedure in marginal conditions.

I am kind of hoping the PMDG connection with Active Sky Next means it will arrive at the same time as the 737NGX or 777. Then it would make sense for a future version of SMP to work with ASN. That would be a match made in heaven but I don't expect anyone to confirm or deny whether it's like to happen or not!

I live in hope because SMP does... look... amaaazing....

IFR flying is fine, especially in the latest build of SkyMaxx Pro. This topic is pretty old.

That said, the weather injection part hasn't changed. Like I said, someday I'm sure someone will accomplish this. Until then I'm going to keep enjoying flying my airliners and doing IFR practice with SkyMaxx Pro....just like MANY OTHERS are already doing. :)

Jarring or not, just remember that the transition is what X-Plane says it should be for the given location of your aircraft. I can live with that for now, but always welcome anything better in the future. Sorry you find it unusable for yourself.