g2xpl help....

Agrajag

Guys, I have the latest version of this and realize it's not really supported any longer however I would like to see it working.

I've gone ahead and just dropped it into the correct folder under plugins and it does run both from the command line and shows as working within the game.

However, it never generates any textures. It suggests that it will and then a few seconds goes by and it acts like it's done but nothing changes. The textures also aren't anything but the defaults. I have my hi/lo settings at 0/0 but I've tried others to no avail. Command line tells me that it can't create any as they're already created.

Any ideas?

Here's the command line text:

G2XPL ver. beta 5.0 by Saggy Balls g2xpl@nerdshack.com

Reading g2xpl.ini file for parameters

WARNING: whole 1x1 deg area will be covered with high resolution textures.

Downloading maps and creating textures might take very long time

ini file g2xpl.ini read succesfuly

DLL dxtcompress.dll successfuly loaded

DLL dxtzoom.dll successfuly loaded

Creating/updating scenery z_g2xpl ...

This is X-Plane RETAIL DVD

Ter files has been already converted...

Quitting...

• 7 months later...

just in case you are still reading this Agrajag, i donated to the g2xpl guy, named Robert or so, and i got a wonderfully working update. Iit has been a lot of work but was soooo worth it.

i have a big part of europe now. Just don't mess with the files, there are milions of them, and your computer might get confused.

Don't use it with Vista, use it with Windows 7.

Thanks. I did get it working and it was both amazing and disappointing.

On the plus side it was just flat-out wonderful to fly over terrain I actually knew and could easily identify.

On the down side it was so big in overhead that my game took minutes to load. Plus, with the stupid design of forcing you to basically load where you last left off I often had to wait to end up in a place with the wrong tiles only to jump to the right place and wait yet again. Lastly it was only going to get much worse and the tiles I did have loaded were a tiny fraction of what I wanted (JFK to Philly in almost a perfect straight line). That made for extremely repetitive flights so the fun ran out.

The impact was such that now I gave up X-Plane entirely as this was the final straw for me. I saw what it could be but it just wasn't ready for what I wanted it to be. Add to that the type of design issue I mentioned (and I have several gripes there) and it just wasn't a good time for me. That means for now I'm either waiting for version 10 or for the MS Flight product.

1) These programs that suck data off mapping servers are in a legally dark-gray area. They're actively pursued and shut down, yet not directly outright illegal.

2) The terms of service of every decent image provider I've seen does not allow this re-use.

3) Donations that you have to give, aren't donations. Stop falling for it. It's actually quite insulting. Sticking outright payware under a charity banner is disgusting in this day and age.

4) It went "mandatory donation" *laughs* after it was pursued by Google and became popular.

1 + 2 + 3 + 4 = Talk about it somewhere else please.

PS. No if's and buts. This is a friendly cease and desist.

The last line was entirely unnecessary and it completely undermined everything you said above it which was well put. All it did was fit my already-damaged impression of the X-Plane community. So don't sweat it. I won't be talking about this, or likely anything else, here for quite some time if ever.

Hoho guys. easy. The bottom line is that it is hard to find great photo-texture textures for x-plane, other than x-aviation textures, but they are limited to some parts of the U.S.

in order to use g2xpl, you do need very, very powerfull graphics card. Loading the textures can take minutes indeed.

Legally it is a grey zone. Use common sense and do not distribute it (commercially or other)