Sepecat Jaguar

Tonka

I think it's about time i started a thread here on X-Pilot to showcase my development of a high detail Sepecat Jaguar Strike Aircraft.

I started trying to make this in 2007, and since then development has been somewhat hit and miss. I have collected a HUGE library of reference material over the years, which includes Aircrew Manuals, Operating Data Manuals and a Maintenance Manual, so i have no excuses for getting something wrong!

Since my first attempts at building a 3d model for it, my ability has grown somewhat, and taking a break from the development to create the Hypo WWII follow me truck for Mr3D's HMS Jackdaw scenery helped my modelling skills progress even more.

I plan to use the excellent Gizmo plugin to refine the flightmodel, and to provide some nice effects and to bring some new functionality to the sim. Some working weapons, and target designation would be a fun thing to have with this aircraft, so those are some things i hope to achieve with Gizmo.

I'm currently using Gizmo to develop a suite of flight testing and evaluation tools, so i can quickly and effortlessly verify aircraft in performance in all key areas. I have the data, so it seems daft to not make my model match the real world one. I cannot thank Ben enough for his amazing plugin. His efforts with coding in 'real' languages to provide a tool for us minions to modify the sim with such ease are really great for the simulator as a whole.

I am striving to achieve very accurate dimensional accuracy, and with the help of the man in charge of restoration at the RAF Bentwaters Cold War Museum, an RAF Armourer, who helps to keep old jets in a working condition suitable for Fast Taxi runs at Bruntingthorpe in his spare time, and a visit to the Imperial War Museum at Duxford, i so far have a very accurate model.

Some might say the detail i am including is over the top, by i am building this aircraft primarily for myself to enjoy, and i really want a super high detail aircraft, and making all the detail is what makes the simulator model seem more real to me. Also, I cant abide by low poly and low resolution models in the sim these days. It's 2013, and products that would have been cutting edge in 1999 don't really do it for me!

I primarily model in AC3D, but i dip in and out of Blender to unwrap some parts, and to do all my Ambient Occlusion baking. Baked textures are prevalent on the detailed areas, and this process adds so much to a model that it really can't be overlooked in my opinion.

An accurate flight model is very important for this project, as, like so many other people, i doubt i'll ever have the chance to experience flying a fast jet 50ft from the ground through a valley, so getting a feel for it in the sim is desirable. The Jaguar, which has some 'interesting' high alpha traits, and supersonic performance is not the kind of aircraft that X-Plane simulates well, so lots of tuning is being done, and will continue to be done, to try and replicate the real world handling characteristics.

I have no fixed estimate for release yet, but i do know this will be a payware offering. It'll be released when i'm happy with it, and not before! The main areas i have left to complete are the 3D cockpit, and the UV layout for the main exterior model. The flight model work will be done alongside those two tasks, and final scripting will be done when everything else is complete. I mainly use v9 at the moment, but will be releasing a v10 model in the end. I'm not going to waste time trying to tune a flightmodel to v10 yet, as the goalposts are always changing!

I have a blog running that i post development updates and pictures to, and i'll post here whenever i make an update.

Enough typing, its pretty picture time!

jag26.jpg

jag27.jpg

jag56.jpg

jag59.jpg

jag64.jpg

jag75.jpg

jag77.jpg

Jag92.jpg

Jag93.jpg

Jag96.jpg

Jag97.jpg

Jag99.jpgJag100.jpg

jag102.jpg

jag104.jpg

jag124.jpg

jag125.jpg

jag126.jpg

jag127.jpg

Jag%2520Whole%252002.jpg

Jag%2520Whole%252003.jpg

Jag%2520Whole%252001.jpg

Edited by Tonka
  • Upvote 10

Why aren't your nuts bolts lock-wired? :D

They are, ask the missus! 

When i find a way to make twisted wire look real in the sim, i'll add it in, just for you!

This is, quite simply, the best model I've seen.  Full stop.  Absolutely super work, Tonka.  I can't wait for you to start posting pictures of the cockpit.

Thank you Guy. Ironically, i think the Comet is the best model i have seen, and i can't wait to fly it!

Tonka, I saw this thread over the org a while ago, and I almost forgot about it ... MY BAD !

That's true, the modeling is truly amazing for sure, textures and level of details too !!

A very promising project that I'll look forward too for sure !

And I share the same view, we are in 2014 soon, low poly models are seeing their last days... ;-)

For example, the landing gear and hydraulics details you put there ... hey ! many people will say " it's a flightsimulator not an mechanical simulation " etc etc etc ...

The fact ios that, when I spend time near a real airframe in the real world, those marvelous mechanical parts ( landing gears, flaps, rotorheads for helicopters etc ) ... I just fall in love with its so .. ;-)

Wish you luck during the development process

• Upvote 1

With a rough import to v10, i see higher framerate with this aircraft, than i do with the default P180 when the demo loads at KSEA.

Optimisation is the key, no unnecessary GPU state swapping, no covered surfaces, etc etc.

Our computers will probably all be 10x more powerful by the time the 3d cockpit is complete though.

In the time it has taken to get this far with the model, my GPU Pixel Fillrate has increased from 10.4 Gigapixels/s to 29.3, my Texture Fillrate has increased from 15.6 Gigatexels/s to 102.5 and my VRAM bandwidth has increased from 51.2Gb/s to 192.2 Gb/s.  

Current VRAM usage by this aircraft is 67.40mb. :-)

• 1 month later...

Apologies for the delay chaps, I've a bit ill over the last week or so and only just returned to the PC. Trying to write a decent post on my mobile is somewhat frustrating too!

I do have an update, being a bit of a perfectionist I'd like to tidy a few things before posting images. Give me a couple of days.

Showing updates is kind of a double edged sword, I'd like to show more, but the time taken out from modelling to make screenshots and upload them etc is a factor, as is only wanting to show decent updates, for me. 

Sure, i could post a pic every week or few days, but I'd prefer to show a complete update, I'd prefer to wait until another section of the model is complete. Hope that makes sense!

Thanks for the continued interest though, it really helps to drive me on toward the project's completion.

Christ Tonka do not, I repeat not, take time out of development. Back to work with you.

Seriously though extremely excited about this. I can see from the shots so far the quality you're bringing to this. The Jaguar has been one of my favourites since I got an Airfix one as a 10 year old, despite nearly giving up with the sodding arrester hook.