Couple of Questions

tonywob

I purchased the Saab a few days ago, and so far I really like it, however there are few problems/questions I hope people can help me with:

1) Why does the autopilot climb function sometimes work, sometimes not. I followed the tutorial but the climb function wouldn't engage, and when I let go of the yoke, the nose will drop violently. I've read the part in the manual, and I'm really not sure what I'm doing wrong. Sometimes it will work, but I can't see why.

2) Is there a better way to select altitude/frequencies on the dials? I have to pause the simulator to do this, as it's so difficult to do with the mouse.

3) Perhaps I'm misunderstanding the CTOT, however it never works for me. I enable it as in the tutorial, however when advancing the throttles it has no effect.

Thanks for you help

Edited by tonywob

1: Make sure you have an altitude dialled in to the APA before engaging the CLIMB mode.  Also, the CLIMB function "remembers" the last profile that was engaged, so each time it is pressed, it will select the next profile (High-Medium-Low).

Also, make sure the autopilot is definitely engaged.  The Saab Autopilot switch needs to be pressed and HELD for about 2 seconds.  Otherwise it will just disengage.  This is a safety measure on the real Saab.

2.  For frequencies...Not at the moment.  We may have a solution for this in the update.  We're happy with alt select.  What is it about this that you think needs improving?

3.  Do you ARM the CTOT by setting both CTOT switches to ARM?  Also, the Power Levers need to be at or above 64³ as indicated by the throttle console pop up and engine torque needs to be within 15% of CTOT torque setting.

Thank you for the quick support :-)

1) I normally set the altitude first on the ground, e.g. 10,000ft, and arm the NAV mode. After taking off and reaching about 1000ft,  I engage the autopilot, it definitely engages because the plane begins to turn by itself and track the VOR. However, when I click the climb mode, either nothing happens, or the VSI begins to drop and the plane starts to dive. I have to disengage the autopilot to regain control and climb. It also seems random, sometimes I can get it to work perfectly, other times it doesn't. Could it be a problem with my yoke?

2) I find it very hard to set the heading or course I want, I either go 1 or 2 degrees too far, and it gets quite frustrating, especially if I'm on VATSIM or something. I have a similar problem with frequencies, it's very distracting having to flip away and drag the mouse around to try and move the dial, just because it takes a while to do. If the mouse wheel can't be used, is there some way I can assign key presses to do this for me, or even better a way to just type in the frequencies? 

3) Yes, it never works for me. I noticed another thread on here about the same problem (sorry, only noticed it after posting). I basically have the same problem, no matter what I do, the torque won't increase by itself. I've followed the tutorial exactly, and I can't get it work. The guy in that thread managed to solve the problem by reinstalling it, so I might do this as a last resort.

2) I find it very hard to set the heading or course I want, I either go 1 or 2 degrees too far, and it gets quite frustrating, especially if I'm on VATSIM or something. I have a similar problem with frequencies, it's very distracting having to flip away and drag the mouse around to try and move the dial, just because it takes a while to do. If the mouse wheel can't be used, is there some way I can assign key presses to do this for me, or even better a way to just type in the frequencies?

You can assign to buttons. Go into the Joystick Menu and click on Buttons: Adv. From here in the upper right you will see 'custom cmds from plugins' with an empty grey box next to it. Clicking this will bring up a menu, where you will find 'LES' and a list of commands you can assign to your joystick buttons.

• 2 weeks later...

I have an other question, unrelated to the questions above, but I don't want to open a new thread for this.

If it's dark - How do you find/see the cockpit-lights switch?

Is there no low-dimmed light to help finding the switch in the dark in the real plane? 

I let Gizmo do the autostart - After that some displays were on, but I couldn't see anything else ;)

I have an other question, unrelated to the questions above, but I don't want to open a new thread for this.

If it's dark - How do you find/see the cockpit-lights switch?

Is there no low-dimmed light to help finding the switch in the dark in the real plane? 

I let Gizmo do the autostart - After that some displays were on, but I couldn't see anything else ;)

Use the flashlight feature provided by X-Plane itself.

With regard to the CTOT, with my setup, if I use the ground services plugin to pushback the CTOT does not function. However with no push back (place the plane via the local map) then it works perfectly. I not sure why but to be honest this is such a fantastic aircraft that I am not sure I care.

CTOT works for me everytime.  I set the number I want with the dial then arm the switches..   then when I am ready to takeoff advande the trottles to atleast the min- T.O slowly and watch the CTOT work it's magic,  once CTOT increases to takeoff thrust I leave the throttles alone.