What did you fly today?

Maxime

Looks great, but I have the following questions on my mind:

- what sounds does it use, especially engine sound? Real radial, something close to real or generic?

- can you feel a good amount of prop torque while changing power and precession force from prop while maneuvering?

- can you change the card pinned to panel, with aerobatic figures programme, without messing the whole aircraft? Is it a separate texture or "hardcoded" into panel?

hi lis, I can definitely vouch for the torque, and a new org post from a real life aerobatics pilot seems positive enough. I was able to do some torque related twists I hadn't done before. sound is very good, but I ain't no expert!

not sure about the card- it's very well rendered and stained though!

Thanks for the replies, I'll buy the Yak. While I'm not very much into aerobatic flying, more of a cross country and bush pilot, the Yak has something in it, that makes me want it, that brutal power married to light airframe. By the way, on Saturday and Sunday there was an airshow in my city, and one of the stars was Jurgis Kairys, flying Su-26. One of the best tricks he performed, was barrel-rolling around flying straight and level An-2. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qon-70QPBes

He's amazing!

Beginning of a Cobra

Following the runway in that attitude, next one was climbing in a deep sideslip!

Guess, what I'll be doing with Yak, while listening to something loud and "energetic" ;) Also I have and mostly enjoy BK-117 and Hurricane, so I'm somehow inclined to support one of my favourite developers, even if it is a little bit against my budget at the moment.

As for the X-Plane An-24 by Felis, I have it already and it is a true masterpiece. One of the very few planes, I wasn't able to start up without reading the manual, and about the only one, that I can't fly without using 2D sub panels, there are so many switches and gauges around the cockpit, that it really takes full 3-5 crew to operate this in "as real as it gets" manner. Also it has a superior flight model, you can really feel the mass and inertia and can't do rolls and loops without exceeding a redline or two or even worse. Sorry, no screenshots of An-24 so far, all of my 34 hands were busy at controls and there were not a single one left to operate a camera :)

Sorry for the offtop, but I had to share :)

post-1467-131369582801_thumb.jpg

post-1467-131369582825_thumb.jpg

Posting a video tomorrow, of the Sundowner and Falco, doing different approaches to the tiny, dangerous strip at the Alpe d'Huez. G2XPL has come up really well.

A cameo from a larger plane, yes I am crazy! Tune in to find out which pieces of the 737 get to the end of the runway first.....

post-985-131369583315_thumb.jpg

post-985-13136958335_thumb.jpg

post-985-131369583382_thumb.jpg

post-985-131369583422_thumb.jpg

It is a sweater! Or rather was - it's all that left from it, after what I've done with the plane :D Should have closed that canopy...

The picture shows 2 flights of 35 minutes each, with a pit-stop for fuel somewhere between them. Later I've made one more flight, little over 1 hour, but that one wasn't screenshoted. I've been perfecting the display, that is drawn on Yak's panel. Albeit short, it's tricky in few moments.

Prop torque is small, compared to warbirds or 300-350+ hp aerobatic planes, but noticeable and you have to compensate for it with rudder :) Engine sound is great and crispy, I had to turn off the music for some time, to fully enjoy it. Also, while it's an aerobatic plane, all right, small, light, responsive with huge control surfaces, it's far from "paper-plane syndrom" known to many X-Plane aircraft. The mass, the inertia - it's all there, in just the right proportions.

One more note on panel, because you won't see it on screenshots. The magnetic compass is fully animated. As you abuse the plane, it turns, weaves and tumbles all over the casing. I've almost crashed once or twice, because I was playing with the compass alone and forgot about everything else :D Well done, Nils!

Pure VFR dead reckoning, no radionavigation, no GPS. Only speed, time and heading. Not bad, considering turbulence and variable winds.

The distinctive S-turns were to avoid cumulus clouds. They are known for having weird stuff inside, that I'm not really eager to get familiar with.

Logbook excerpt:

2 100706    NSFA    NSFA  1  2.1  0.0  0.0  0.0  PT-HSU  Jetranger

post-1467-131369583759_thumb.png

post-1467-13136958379_thumb.png