Carenado : Beechcraft King Air C90 is coming !

Hueyman

Finally, I've been dreaming for that to happen for ages ... they are converting their FS version to X-Plane !

This sleek, fast PT6 powered turboprop will be a must have I'm sure, with very good performances at mid-high altitudes, IFR equipped, complete AP etc ...

It will be a nice complement to the excellent stock one Tom Kyler has done for X-Plane 10

I think this Carenado is my most wanted one, as with the C208 !

( Images from their Facebook page >>> https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.538615599548592.1073741875.129839447092878&type=1 )

ox1l.jpg

yrzr.jpg

5p2t.jpg

ssie.jpg

npt0.jpg

0ifa.jpg

xs32.jpg

nxtx.jpg

ozrp.jpg

8bi5.jpg

Top notch quality graphics as usual , the sounds should be nice too ! I hope the systems will be simulated enough to be enjoyable !

• Upvote 7

This *looks* great but Carenados never fly right. Until they get their act together in the flight model department I'm afraid I wont be buying any more of them. 

Aside from that, they have some of the best looking planes on the market now. If only they offered training level models...

-NR

This *looks* great but Carenados never fly right. Until they get their act together in the flight model department I'm afraid I wont be buying any more of them.

Aside from that, they have some of the best looking planes on the market now. If only they offered training level models...

-NR

So, in your opinion, which X-Plane aircraft DO fly right?

Tell me one developer who sells "training level" aircraft for under $35. There aren't any. I think Carenado, along with the rest of the X-Plane developers, do a pretty good job of recreating the flight experience within the constraints of the X-Plane software. If you say Carenado planes don't fly right, then I say there isn't any plane that flies "right" in X-Plane.

I think the following excerpt from a thread in the PilotEdge forums can apply here:

"I still think that as long as you treat the sim as its own unique aircraft, as opposed to being a real 172, Piper or Cirrus, and fly it on its own merits, then all works out well."

Edited by ointment
  • Upvote 1

You entirely missed my point ointment, my comment has nothing to do with price or "control loading". I just want it to fly like the real thing.

Let's take the C152 for a simple example: In a real 152, a 3nm descent to final would require 2 notches of flaps and throttle pulled out, creating an appropriate 60KIAS glide. With the Carenado C152, on the same approach with 2 notches of flaps, you will need more than 1500rpm of power in order to maintain 60KIAS. When you look into the issue, Carenado has used the wrong airfoils. Possibly so as to get the cruise speed right, but therefore sacrificing proper performance in other stages of flight. They've applied a band-aid to cover up the problem instead of taking the time to engineer the model to fly properly, as we know is quite possible in X-Plane. 

With that said, if Carenado made their aircraft to perform very realistically, I would be willing to pay DOUBLE the current prices. 

-NR

• Upvote 1

I agree with you Ntr09... I never use any stock Carenado anymore " out of the box " ... they have to pass in the Plane Maker customization house before I really use them ...

Working on any Carenado on 1h30-2h ( flight tests included ) is generally enough to get a plane that flies like the real thing. Most of the time, I have to edit control surfaces deflection values, as well as ratio of control surface over wing chord... sometimes it's airfoils , sometimes it's settings related to overall airframe inertia, Cx, wing incidence etc ... it really depends on the plane.

But now, I can't pretend to be certified on the real C208 for instance, but what I did in PM gave me a more " realistic " feel that what came out of the box initially .. for example, with 90% of the aileron travel, it generally makes the plane roll quite a lot ! while in default planes, it's like if the whole flight model was " calmed down " by some unvisible rails, giving incredible slow roll rate.

I'm convinced they know how the real thing behaves, but the initials settings are probably made to satisfy most of the people with " on rails " flight behaviors ... You know, a real GA plane is NOT easy to fly when you want to make all maneuvers done the right way and precisely... it could be frustrating for simmers to take time to really learn the " behind the scene " effects that makes a real airplane not so easy to fly as it sounds to be ... So, I assume picking up a plane and fly around to enjoy sceneries for example is the purpose of these very eye candy planes !

Then, as I said, when correctly re-worked in PM, they can become real training material ... at least regarding flight dynamics ! Nothing worth a deep Gizmo-ed/SASL-ed powered systems... but if they would work as much on any of their convertion we would see a Carenado every year... while we got a lot of more !

In a nutschell, I would say it's the good compromise they found

Edited by Hueyman
  • Upvote 2

What is important for Carenado are two things:

1. Their X-Plane aircraft should behave like the FSX versions. However, even then the X-Plane versions usually have better flight models than the FSX versions.

2. Carenado has never been a training level company and will never be, neither for FSX nor XP. Most Carenado customers are not interested in detailed simulations, as Dan Klause pointed out a while ago.

What is important for Carenado are two things:

1. Their X-Plane aircraft should behave like the FSX versions. However, even then the X-Plane versions usually have better flight models than the FSX versions.

2. Carenado has never been a training level company and will never be, neither for FSX nor XP. Most Carenado customers are not interested in detailed simulations, as Dan Klause pointed out a while ago.

That's why I don't really have a need for them. I like my planes to fly like the real thing. So really, I'm not complaining about Carenado specifically, but more so of the lack of truly excellent GA aircraft for X-Plane, since I use X-Plane for training, this is important to me. :)

-NR

It depends what one is 'training'. If it's how to use complex avionics .. then most of the planes in X-Plane will fail. For some aspects of procedural training it does no better or worse than any other X-Plane aircraft. You're already hamstrung by sitting in front of a monitor pretending to fly an airplane.

I thinks it is possible to become overly anal-retentive about these things. It's similar to people who think they have usable infantry skills because they play a complex first person shooter :D .

However!! I take your point about expectations re performance parameters .. well ... how they're represented in sim anyhow.

Edited by Kris Pryo
  • Upvote 3

It depends what one is 'training'. If it's how to use complex avionics .. then most of the planes in X-Plane will fail. For some aspects of procedural training it does no better or worse than any other X-Plane aircraft. You're already hamstrung by sitting in front of a monitor pretending to fly an airplane.

I thinks it is possible to become overly anal-retentive about these things. It's similar to people who think they have usable infantry skills because they play a complex first person shooter :D .

However!! I take your point about expectations re performance parameters .. well ... how they're represented in sim anyhow.

Well tell me why Hong Kong Aviation Club uses X-Plane 9 commercial for PROCEDURAL training, IFR proficiency training and general recurrent training if you don't think X-Plane is a good procedure trainer?

• Upvote 1

Well tell me why Hong Kong Aviation Club uses X-Plane 9 commercial for PROCEDURAL training, IFR proficiency training and general recurrent training if you don't think X-Plane is a good procedure trainer?

You pose a rhetorical question; and I think you need to re-read what I wrote ;)  ... and then put it into context. Cheers!

Dude, I'm unsure who is arrogant here ...

Anyway, I'm tired every threads always enter into spin like this. I want it to discuss about King Airs and Carenados, not where you learn to fly nor how much your test costs, I just don't care

I suppose "Hong Kong Aviation Club" is for beginners....

For beginners, what a laugh. My instructor has 10,000 hours already and is an ATPL holder with a CFI-I rating. He is a qualified examiner under CAD HK. My ground school classmates? Well let me tell you, have definitely will have more airmanship than you do Peter. So tell me:

Principles of gyroscopic instruments

What is a vacuum instrument system?

What is deep stall?

What is the Coriolis effect?

What is P-Factor and how does it work?

How to calculate drift angle?

What is 60 to 1 rule?

What does "RVSM" stand for?

What is class G airspace?

Does radio signals travel faster across land or sea?

What is the minimum altitude for the Shek Kong Area?

So peter, tell me all the

KingAirs are great and I can only hope Carenado can make the flight model extremely accurate. They nailed the looks but they should seriously re think their flight model. The polygons on their models are highly optimized and that's great. The airfoils do need some makeovers. Don't forget Dan already told all of us that Carenado does NOT provide training level aircraft. I repeat, DOES NOT! I still will not fly Carenado though, I am afraid it will give me bad habits.

• Upvote 1

Ummm go ahead and take the GPFT test and tell me your result, only costs 100HKD to try. I am interested because you are so arrogant and you think it is easy.

Arrogant? I think its the other way around ;) Besides nobody takes you seriously....

By the way, the new King-Air looks amazing! I particularly love the style of their textures, I don't know how to describe it...but it has a crisp metallic feel. 

• Upvote 3

I suppose "Hong Kong Aviation Club" is for beginners....

For beginners, what a laugh. My instructor has 10,000 hours already and is an ATPL holder with a CFI-I rating. He is a qualified examiner under CAD HK. My ground school classmates? Well let me tell you, have definitely will have more airmanship than you do Peter. So tell me:

Principles of gyroscopic instruments

What is a vacuum instrument system?

What is deep stall?

What is the Coriolis effect?

What is P-Factor and how does it work?

How to calculate drift angle?

What is 60 to 1 rule?

What does "RVSM" stand for?

What is class G airspace?

Does radio signals travel faster across land or sea?

What is the minimum altitude for the Shek Kong Area?

So peter, tell me all the

KingAirs are great and I can only hope Carenado can make the flight model extremely accurate. They nailed the looks but they should seriously re think their flight model. The polygons on their models are highly optimized and that's great. The airfoils do need some makeovers. Don't forget Dan already told all of us that Carenado does NOT provide training level aircraft. I repeat, DOES NOT! I still will not fly Carenado though, I am afraid it will give me bad habits.

I am really not interested in this area of study, however a simple google search will suffice and give enough detailed information. I am looking forward to this king air... And I hope to contribute to this community in a positive way, however you seemed to ruin things quite a bit...but that's my take.

When I said it must be for beginners, that was a massive sarcasm quote. If you don't tell which is sarcasm and which isn't, there's a sign that you have brain damage.

http://indianapublicmedia.org/amomentofscience/comprehending-sarcasm/

You have my condolences. (Sarcasm in case you don't have the power to process it)

Let's draw this to a close, we both have different expertise, mine on add on development, you on your "aircraft training in the Hong Kong aviation club" whatsoever...and "military training"

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...