Fresh Meat!

Brazen

Since I'm new here, I thought I'd introduce myself a little bit before I bombard you all with the inevitable questions. :)

I'm getting close to seeing Abraham and live in The Home of Heineken The Netherlands. In a former life (read: over 20 years ago) I used to be a commercial pilot in the US. Don't get your hopes up, though, the biggest I've flown is the C421 and the Citation II. I've had the luck to be in bigger jets and real sims, though, as a couple of my family members are actually working for the Airlines.

However, ss is the way of the world, you never miss things until you don't have them anymore, so, here I am. I chose X-plane as my first foray into the world of flight sims. Why? FS X Demo went all haywire with black screens, Flightgear looked kind of bleak, and OMG dat 777 Worldliner! I might have been the first to buy an addon without actually owning X-Plane.

Anyway, that's it for now, X-Plane 10 Global just came in, so time to finish installing and start playing!

Hi Brazen,

welcome to X-Plane and this forum! :)

In the beginning, for some people is X-Plane a bit confusing, esp. if they come from FSX, but if you never used a desktop flight simulation before, you won't have big problems. May just need some minutes to get the best graphics (rendering) settings for your system; X-Plane CAN be demanding, but everything can be adjusted.

And if you are stuck, simply ask.

If you flew the Citation II, you may be happy to hear that a Citation II is in the making by LES -- the same guys who just recently published their Saab 340A. If their Citation II is as good as the Saab seems to be, you can continue to fly Citation II on your PC in a very realistic way! :)

(See http://forums.x-pilot.com/forum/138-cessna-citation-ii/ )

Edited by Mario Donick

If their Citation II is as good as the Saab seems to be IS ...

Sorry Mario, a small correction is in order here ;) ... the SAAB is bloomin' brilliant ... a legendary work of epic proportions, a turboprop symphony of  two visceral 1,735 shp General Electric CT7-5A2 engines ... they weren't kidding when they said a new era has arrived in the world of X-Plane!

Welcome Brazen, I hope you enjoy your experience and as Mario said, holler if you run into any issues and we'll try to point you in the right direction ...

Since I'm new here, I thought I'd introduce myself a little bit before I bombard you all with the inevitable questions. :)

I'm getting close to seeing Abraham and live in The Home of Heineken The Netherlands. In a former life (read: over 20 years ago) I used to be a commercial pilot in the US. Don't get your hopes up, though, the biggest I've flown is the C421 and the Citation II. I've had the luck to be in bigger jets and real sims, though, as a couple of my family members are actually working for the Airlines.

However, ss is the way of the world, you never miss things until you don't have them anymore, so, here I am. I chose X-plane as my first foray into the world of flight sims. Why? FS X Demo went all haywire with black screens, Flightgear looked kind of bleak, and OMG dat 777 Worldliner! I might have been the first to buy an addon without actually owning X-Plane.

Anyway, that's it for now, X-Plane 10 Global just came in, so time to finish installing and start playing!

welcome to the family! be sure to check out the x-plane aviators page on facebook, it's probably the largest gathering of x-plane flyers, we have payware and freeware devs release project info there before coming here or to x-plane.org. it's also a great place to go to to get advice on purchases or lessons in any development branch (scenery, PM, blender, AC3D etc)

Welcome to X-Pilot :)

As has been stated, the first addon you should buy is the SAAB... even if you like jetliners.

If you need any help with what addons to choose from, just say so, and I'm sure many people would be willing to help!

It's actually a pleasant surprise to get new users coming here, instead of the org.

Anyways, enjoy your stay!

Edit- I've actually never heard of a C421 before.. G/A has never been my thing. I just looked it up, and there isn't one that I know of for X-Plane currently, but one that kind of looks similar is the Carenado C340 :)

Edited by BWolf7
  • Upvote 1