[SOLVED] Ice Protection System

James Britnell

Hello, I'd like to make some enquires regarding the Ice Protection System. In X-plane I have configured Data Input & Output to display icing status 1 and icing status 2. I have noticed that the values for aoa, aoa and rwing are not being cleared by the system. The values aoa and aoa I guess refer to the angle-of-attack transmitters, which, I understand, would be activated by the STBY PITOT switch being set to ON. The rwing value, presumably refering to the right wing, would be activated by placing the AUTO CYCLING switch in either the CONT or ONE CYCLE positions. In the case of the other datarefs, the system works admirably, the lwing value changing in sync with the W INB inflation cycle is a particuarly nice touch. I'm presuming the system should be clearing these values, though, perhaps I am misunderstanding something. I have attached some screenshots which I hope will be of some assistance. Thank-you very much for your time, and to all involved in the making of this fabulous aircraft. I hope all of your hard work is justly rewarded. I am enjoying the aircraft immensely.

James Britnell

James,

I have found a couple of issues regarding the ice protection that will be corrected in the next update.  I am in contact with Laminar regarding other ice related issues, which I will address as soon as I hear back from them.

Thanks for the feedback, we appreciate it.

Note:  Due to X-Planes limited ice protection capability and our wish to simulate the Saab anti-ice as accurately as possible,  the AOA (CoPilot) will not have anti-ice capability.  This allows us to provide expanded functionality elsewhere in the ice protection simulation.

Jim

Lead Programmer

LES Saab 340A

• 3 months later...

Hi, are icing-related stalls simulated? I just had a stall and crash in icing conditions. I had basically all anti- and de-ice components on at max, speed and AOA were correct, flaps at 7 degrees at about 150 kts, but the plane simply seemed to start falling out of the sky with a right side spiral and I totally lost control, crashing way before the runway.

Tried it again - made it above 10,000 ft to turn off some of the anti-ice systems - when I turned the boots off, the aircraft started to fall out of the sky again, almost.

Edited by xfreak2106

We did not model anything special regarding stalls.  I assume what you are experiencing is stock X-Plane's handling of stalls.  And yes, excessive ice will cause a stall.  And…. even with ice protection on you are NOT guaranteed that you will not accumulate ICE and therefore stall the aircraft.  Get out of the clouds/icing conditions or risk ice accumulation and the potential hazards that come with it.

Ok, thanks for letting me know. I read that the X-Plane ice accumulation on flight surfaces is excessive and too fast, so that probably has something to do with it as well. Hope Laminar solves the problem.

Generates a challenging situation with overcast clouds and freezing temperatures on the ground when leveling off at low altitudes.

Sometimes it is not nice so if you want to save the flight, assign a key to anti- ice or de-ice ( do not have X-Plane running now) and when you see the excessive ice symptoms, just hit the key.

I know it is not exactly how it should work but since we know that icing is over modeled in X-Plane, that might be the way to go.

Cheers, AJ   ;)

• 1 month later...

I too just ran into icing problems with version 1.1. I checked the icing data ( just before I crashed ) and the right aoa and right wing had a value of .632. All others were 0.0. All de-icing was on and at max. I was landing through clouds and snowing at the time , but strange that only the right side had ice??

FYI, just in case you thought it was fixed.

See the note below from JGregory in this thread

Note:  Due to X-Planes limited ice protection capability and our wish to simulate the Saab anti-ice as accurately as possible,  the AOA (CoPilot) will not have anti-ice capability.  This allows us to provide expanded functionality elsewhere in the ice protection simulation.

It looks like the designers have taken the right side data for their own use. 

I like flying in real weather so I'll have to give your suggestion to program a button to de-ice on a try.

Thanks